Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,303 times

Advertisements

In November I moved to Katy from Long Island, NY. I chose Katy because my son lives here and because I had some fast decisions to make. I am a 74 year old widower (a young 74). I am renting a house for one year and in that year I will decide if the Houston area is where I want to permanently settle. On the supposition that I do stay here I wonder what would the best place for me to buy a house. Katy is really for families with kids which obviously is not me. I need a house because I own a German Shepherd and I like to be able to let him out in the yard. I would like to live closer to Houston so I can take advantage of the things going on there. I want to be able to buy a house for under $200,000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM

98 posts, read 205,214 times
My opinion is for a young guy like yourself, I'd recommend The Heights maybe. Or Medical Center area. Oh I'd also take a look at right before the Reliant area. They have some very nice homes and it is by all the action. There's also some neighborhoods with condos right off I-10 and Voss and I-10 and Memorial. You are by a lot of shopping. it is a straight I-10 shot to Katy to see your son AND you are a straight shot to the Galleria and I-10 to downtown or Midtown.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Plenty of young retirees in the briar forest area (77077). Depending on how much space you want for your German Shepard there are full lot homes and patio homes well within your price range.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM

344 posts, read 1,250,984 times
Eagle's Trace would be worth checking out off of I-10 & Hwy 6.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
How about some of the 55+ communities around Houston? Most are gated neighborhoods but it is all people over 55 and they usually have organized activities. Sun City built in Richmond is one such community.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
As I read it, I think the key elements of your search are (not necessarily in this order) are to find a place with: (1) a backyard for your dog, (2) proximity to things you would find fun to enjoy in Houston, and (3) under $200K to purchase. To that, I'll add that easy access between you and your son should be considered.

So, that leads me to imagine that places closer into town, not far from I-10, should be where you should concentrate. If it were me, something in the Heights would be ideal if I could find something in that price range. However, it's a bit further in town than other options, thus farther from your son. Also, I'm not sure how close major medical facilities are there; I know you may not being thinking about that now, but it could make life easier in the future if need be.

The Briarforest area is nice, although more suburban, and I've heard it has somewhat of an international expat community (e.g., French). It would be a short hop up Sam Houston Tollway to I-10, Town & Country Centre, and the Memorial City medical facilities.

Without your dog, its true you would probably have many more options. But, I imagine he/she adds a lot to your quality of life; I would not give up my dog either :-)

Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
Like you, I too am in a rental and looking for a place to buy. I am just recently divorced and had to move out of my former house as part of the settlement and have been living in an area called North Katy, just north of Clay Rd. My lease is up at the end of July and I have to find a new place by then. I wasn't sure whether I would continue to rent or buy but have pretty much decided that buying is what I want to do, even though I am getting very close to retirement. Several here have suggested the Heights and admittedly it is a great neighborhood but finding something you'd like for under $200,000 is fairly unrealistic. Although you want to be closer to "the action," the closer in you go the less house you get. I too would love to be closer in but in order to get the space I want, I have accepted the need to stay further out in the burbs.

I have started looking at neighborhoods just to get a sense of what's out there. Also, I am reluctant to move too far from the amenities that I've become accustomed to such as my doctor, dentist, church, gym and its even where most of my friends live. So, you should find a realtor you like and begin to search for an area, a neighborhood, and find out how the home values have been. Don't start really looking for a house because as sure as you do, you will find one you love but that you can't move on so soon and it will be very frustrating. You might want to just see what you can get for your budget and that may give you a better idea of whether you are willing to sacrifice space and "age" to be closer in. Good luck to you.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,303 times
Thanks for all of the thoughtful suggestions.

Norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: