Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM

137 posts, read 268,525 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure:I posted this in he Dallas section as well.

Thanks in advance for your insight on my questions.

First, is it a risk worth taking to relocate to Houston WITHOUT a job lined up, with a few thousand $dollars in the pocket?

- Work experience area is in financial analysis in healthcare (about 8 years experience)

- BS accounting & Master degrees (not MBA though).

- Been out of a fulltime job for 12 months (have done 2 short term contract jobs within the 12 months).

- A family of 4 (wife nursing 6 months old baby & currently not working)

- Made $95k last fulltime job but willing to take 20 - 30% lower, if I have to.

- One child in 2nd grade so, school consideration is important.

- Will take temporary/contract immediately while I hunt for fulltime job.

- Of course, we'll rent at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM

418 posts, read 742,606 times
Please get a job first. The reports you read about the job market in this city are a little exaggerated. I know people who live here who haven't found jobs yet. Please don't come here without a job lined up.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glossa View Post
please get a job first. The reports you read about the job market in this city are a little exaggerated. I know people who live here who haven't found jobs yet. Please don't come here without a job lined up.
This!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Please get a job first. The reports you read about the job market in this city are a little exaggerated. I know people who live here who haven't found jobs yet. Please don't come here without a job lined up.

I agree whole heartedly.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,021,142 times
I am an accountant by degree (not by trade), and have my own consulting firm specializing in healthcare, so I feel like I can comment.

If your experience is solely in healthcare, you need to find a job before you move. Other industries won't look at your healthcare experience as beneficial, and the healthcare finance/accounting sector is a little slow right now.

Your willingness to take lower pay won't necessarily endear you to employers, even though you might think it does.

A few thousand in the bank account is not much. Take a job where ever you can get one and move there.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
Full disclosure:I posted this in he Dallas section as well.

Thanks in advance for your insight on my questions.

First, is it a risk worth taking to relocate to Houston WITHOUT a job lined up, with a few thousand $dollars in the pocket?

- Work experience area is in financial analysis in healthcare (about 8 years experience)

- BS accounting & Master degrees (not MBA though).

- Been out of a fulltime job for 12 months (have done 2 short term contract jobs within the 12 months).

- A family of 4 (wife nursing 6 months old baby & currently not working)

- Made $95k last fulltime job but willing to take 20 - 30% lower, if I have to.

- One child in 2nd grade so, school consideration is important.

- Will take temporary/contract immediately while I hunt for fulltime job.

- Of course, we'll rent at first.
Is it a risk?! YES, a HUGE one! I agree with the others, don't do it. Look for a job first.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,505 times
That salary is probably a little high even at 20%-30% less for most jobs.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,021,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
That salary is probably a little high even at 20%-30% less for most jobs.
Not really. If he has any experience in a managerial role (which I might expect with 8 years) he should be able to slot in around where he last was. The problem is healthcare is not hot right now so it will be difficult to find the right position, especially since he's not local.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Not really. If he has any experience in a managerial role (which I might expect with 8 years) he should be able to slot in around where he last was. The problem is healthcare is not hot right now so it will be difficult to find the right position, especially since he's not local.
Engineer, thank you so much for your sincere and blunt opinion. I really appreciate honesty than sugar-coated feel good suggestion. Here's my question though, I have always known that Houston is an energy hub but also thought that it's big on healthcare as well, with the many hospitals and medical schools. So healthcare finance jobs are not as well as energy finance jobs in Houston? Ok.

I have interviewed by phone a few times with MD Anderson, Memorial Hermann and a few others but I do notice their reluctance for me being out of state. This is despite that I tell them upfront that I will relocate myself and even come on my own for a F2F interview. So, I figured being closer might ease that reluctance.

I used to pick up and move but with family now and exhausted savings after 18 monhs unemployed, my risk tolerance is not what it used to be. But I will come on alone for now and explore before family joining.

Last edited by ABQ1; 02-21-2013 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: error

Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I am an accountant by degree (not by trade), and have my own consulting firm specializing in healthcare, so I feel like I can comment.

If your experience is solely in healthcare, you need to find a job before you move. Other industries won't look at your healthcare experience as beneficial, and the healthcare finance/accounting sector is a little slow right now.

Your willingness to take lower pay won't necessarily endear you to employers, even though you might think it does.

A few thousand in the bank account is not much. Take a job where ever you can get one and move there.
Engineer and others, my other question is this: Is there a general reluctance with Texas employers with candidates whose educational/work background is from the Eastcoast (NE)? Something like a regional perception of Northeasters in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston