Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times

Advertisements

I read this article today and it sort of verified what I've been thinking of all these panhandlers lately. Even nicely dressed people asking for money for a charity cause me to be skeptical, unless they are clearly fire fighters, or just kids wanting to wash your car for donations. I mean, you can clearly see the kids washing cars, but who takes time to research to see if everthing is legit on those little pieces of paper, or cards they want to give you anyway?

But in the two decades I've been here in Houston/Katy, I have seen the numbers increase. You cannot go anywhere in Houston without seeing them, bar the exclusive communities. But even just outside those places, they are there, giving you "the eye", or copping an attitude when you say no, or ignore them. I wonder if Houston will ever do anything about it. It seems that Houston has become a paradise for these folk, or freshly released inmates.

I have compassion, but really, it is getting out of control to the point that some of these homeless get into fights because, believe it or not, the corners are spoken for and are someone's turf already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,748 times
My boyfriend once told someone their purported charity didn't exist after looking it up on his phone in Boston. That was enough to shut them up. In any case, it's not a big deal, as you're free to walk away. Seriously, to me, it was much worse in Boston. There was one guy in particular who rode the train all day and changed his story all the time - always bawling his eyes out. One day he was HIV positive and was going to kill himself, the next day he had an interview with Macy's, or had gotten kicked out by his mom. Considering we're technically a larger city and driving is a viable option, I really think we're lucky. Not saying it's not a problem, but it could be worse.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM

799 posts, read 2,440,849 times
I do wish something could be done, but its a no win situation for a politicians/law enforcement. If you really started busting these people, you'd be painted as an elitist, etc., not a "man of the people".

Im curious about how its become so acceptable that parents teach their children to go beg for money to fund a sports team trip, etc.???

Jeez, go clean out garages, wash cars, do something! I don't think they are teaching those kids a great lesson. Hey kids, you want to get money, go ask for it, instead of go EARN it.

Also, i saw some people at Jones and 290 for quite a while taking money for the victim's family of a drunk driver. Always wanted to help, but never looked up the name, and Im not giving without verifying.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM

148 posts, read 403,047 times
I can't stand the ones that want to wash your windshield. They will literally wash it no matter what and then get pissed if you don't give them money. I've had to lay on my horn heavily before because I had just washed my car and the person was determined to wash my windows.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:46 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
When approached by a beggar I like to yell very loudly "No, I will not buy your illegal drugs".

Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM

83 posts, read 204,403 times
I saw a guy stealing his windshield washing supplies from a gas station the other day.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Some of the more disturbed ones bang on you car hood and rage out.....fun stuff. :/

Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM

184 posts, read 314,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Some of the more disturbed ones bang on you car hood and rage out.....fun stuff. :/
Then they can have the pleasure of seeing this.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
I guess that is a positive "check" for the planned communities/suburbs.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,360 times
living in the city i never have a problem. every major city across the world that i have ever been in has a poverty/homeless/beggar issue. many cities have way more than what i feel i experience in houston. i never give money to people panhandling because you aren't helping them. non-profits do not want you giving them money on the street. this discourages them from actually going to centers where they can get more extensive help. also no charity puts it's clients on the street for spare change. you feel you have a problem with this tell your friends and neighbors to stop giving them money! i see people in their cars in front of me all the time giving cash. sometimes they are driving junk pieces of crap and likely aren't affluent, and sometimes they are in new luxury vehicles. the type of people i hear complain the most are also the ones that will give a woman spare change at the intersection.

ive never witnessed a bum fight for an intersection, never had anyone be aggressive with me, never had anyone pound on my car. i work with homeless people too so if i haven't run into it you likely never have either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston