Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times

Advertisements

Why demolish it?
Seems to me like the crooks only want to give us two options:
- Spend billions fixing it and give it to them to make money
- Spend millions demolishing it and make a parking lot

How about f..... anything that will be benefitial for the whole city of Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,237 times
Dome is an Icon, it can be salvaged with a worthy project. I"m going to be pissed if they raze it or turn it into a parking lot or something.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
They can and SHOULD save the Dome. IMO like other's have said, special interest and dirty politics is delaying a decision. When it's all said and done, whatever the Rodeo or Texans want to do with it is what will happen much to my dismay. There are many creative things that can be done to keep it besides razing it or turning it into another parking lot/convention center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston is too tear down happy. They need to focus in filling in gaps before creating new ones. Something can be done with this thing
Quote:
Dome is an Icon, it can be salvaged with a worthy project. I"m going to be pissed if they raze it or turn it into a parking lot or something.
I'm all for blowing it up. It doesn't hold any sentimental value to me.
What do you both think it should be? If you suggest it stay up, you should at least have an idea.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What do you both think it should be? If you suggest it stay up, you should at least have an idea.
How about we copy Kansas City's Union Station
instead of having a train station, we could have the central hub for Houston's light-rail.
But I know it's not gonna happen.... because it benefits EVERYBODY

Restoring historic Union Station in Kansas City - Feb. 1998

Quote:
AFTER decades of deterioration, this city's historic Union Station at the southern edge of downtown is undergoing a $234 million renovation that will restore its former grandeur and install a lavish 285,000-square-foot science museum.

It took several months just to prepare the monolithic train depot for the project. Walls were demolished, the roof was repaired and 10 million pounds of debris and 35 miles of pipes were removed.

Kansas City's Union Station in the 1920s

This is what it looks like now

Science City

Planetarium

Walkway to Crown Center (Hotel, shops, etc)

Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,974 times
again....county commissioner's are involved...closest thing to the mafia we have in Houston with all their deals under the table

I've heard many stories on how TSU was always rumored to be in deals with lee's district in order to get what he wants as they're the leverage

They were the minority pawn needed for the dynamo stadium as it covered 2 districts

anyone with a brain can see the dome can be saved or blown up...but the longer it stays it requires" more studies (payouts to friends)

Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
You can't compare the Kanasa City Union Stn, which actually has some aesthetic appeal, with the Astrodome. The Astrodome is an eyesore. I realize some Houstonians have an emotional attachment and in its day I guess it was a marvel but now it's just plain ugly. And really, who cares if it was the first domed stadium, it's not like its the Pantheon or anything.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
You can't compare the Kanasa City Union Stn, which actually has some aesthetic appeal, with the Astrodome. The Astrodome is an eyesore. I realize some Houstonians have an emotional attachment and in its day I guess it was a marvel but now it's just plain ugly. And really, who cares if it was the first domed stadium, it's not like its the Pantheon or anything.

Speak for yourself sir. I don't think the Dome is an Eyesore.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why demolish it?
Seems to me like the crooks only want to give us two options:
- Spend billions fixing it and give it to them to make money
- Spend millions demolishing it and make a parking lot

How about f..... anything that will be benefitial for the whole city of Houston?
I agree. I can understand why things get flattened in Manhattan. NO brainer there, they need room. But what is up with buildings going down in Houston when we have more empty lots than buildings already. Have you taken a closer look at the parkinglots downtown? They are all foundations of buildings that once were. Can you imagine what Houston would look like if those still stood and the new ones new ones were built? Houston would easily the 3rd largest skyline in the country instead of now falling behind LA, Miami and SF

Quote:
And this is a two fold thing.

1. They will be saving an iconic building
2. They will be creating something of interest and entertainment to an otherwise boring core.

They complain there are no iconic landmarks in Houston but the closest thing to one that we do have they want to blow it down.

They complain that there is nothing to do here and then instead of building something entertaining they want another super parking lot. How exciting. Another sea of scortching concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

I am all for leveling Baton Rouge. Its in my way and certainly has no sentimental value to me. Write me an essay on why you think it should stay.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 AM

H-town Love, I tried to Rep you but it said Iv'e repped you too much. Excellent Post

Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How about we copy Kansas City's Union Station
instead of having a train station, we could have the central hub for Houston's light-rail.
But I know it's not gonna happen.... because it benefits EVERYBODY

If the US was more like a European City this would have been an excellent meeting point for the Red Line, Commuter lines to Pearland and Galveston and high speed lines to the airports, San Antonio, Beaumont and New Orleans.

But, they can't do what they normally do with new structures and just have it for one purpose only. They need to incorporate dining and shopping with it.

Houston is one of the best cities for dining in the US, but you get off Grey Hound and your only option is the Homeless McDonalds across the street.

People drive a lot in Houston because the leaders make it hard not to with the planning.

The Downtown Transit center has potential because of the multiple levels of transportation (You get off of Megabus and can either get on a city bus or the rail) but then again there is nothing in the area.

Its like people have no vision here. You get off at Bell Station and to your left their is a lovely parking lot. To your right there is a lovely parking lot. Nice https://maps.google.com/maps?q=77002...12,164.25,,0,0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston