Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,992,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
So Galveston is the Houston equivalent of Uptown Dallas?
Dont be cheeky. The answer was already given as midtown then uptown houston, galveston, clear lake, etc are example of areas that Dallas lack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,327,381 times
Quote:
So Galveston is the Houston equivalent of Uptown Dallas?
And to think....these same Houston folks are over in the Houston forum bashing Galveston but suddenly the Island (which is 50 miles outside of the city limits) is an "asset"

Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Nobody said that Dallaites never go to galveston.We do. The problem I pointed out a while ago(on this forum) is that houstonians are so quick to claim having a beach and they actually visit Galveston no more than us Dallasites. Once or maybe twice a year. This tells me that having a beach 1 hour away is no different than being 4 hours away.
Are you serious?? Houston to Galveston is like Ft.Worth to Dallas. Actually Galveston and Houston might be a little closer in culture and relationship. Galveston is Houstonians playground much like Long Island is to New York City. It's a cousin like kinship that the 2 cities share. And once or twice a year?? I,ve been to Galveston several times in 1 month alone. Galveston is unique to Texas period. One of the most unique cities in Texas. Why downplay that? And I hope nobody crazy enough to compare uptown to Galveston. I don't even see why that was brought up. And nobody has bashed Galveston in the Houston forum atleast not to a large extent.

Lets put it like this Houston has Galveston and Dallas has Denton...lmao or does Ft.Worth have that?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM

420 posts, read 706,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dont be cheeky. The answer was already given as midtown then uptown houston, galveston, clear lake, etc are example of areas that Dallas lack

Galveston is a unique place. I've only been a couple of times, but that's only because I don't typically vacation in my own state. If I do I go to Austin/San Antonio or Big Bend. If I wanted to visit Houston, I'd drive 30 miles east to Dallas.

Houston can have cool points for Galveston being nearby. No arguments there. I fail to see what's unique about Uptown Houston or Clear Lake or why you think there aren't comparable areas in Dallas.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:03 PM

420 posts, read 706,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
And to think....these same Houston folks are over in the Houston forum bashing Galveston but suddenly the Island (which is 50 miles outside of the city limits) is an "asset"
That is an interesting perspective. I've also heard it similarly argued (not just by Houston people, but others as well) that Dallas doesn't have certain things if they are located in the suburbs and not the city limits.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,992,816 times
Quote:
50 miles outside city limits.

I always knew you guys have no clue about Houston. Galveston is about 15-20 miles south east of ccity limits

Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That is an interesting perspective. I've also heard it similarly argued (not just by Houston people, but others as well) that Dallas doesn't have certain things if they are located in the suburbs and not the city limits.
True. Houston doesn't have an amusement park in its entire metro l but I've seen Six Flags thrown out as a Dallas "asset" because its in Arlington. That's why the statement made about Houston having things that Dallas doesn't and Dallas having things that Houston doesn't was so spot on.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
50 miles outside city limits.

I always knew you guys have no clue about Houston. Galveston is about 15-20 miles south east of ccity limits
Now you're just arguing just to see yourself b**** about something. For all purposes, Houston is regarded as being about 50 miles from Galveston. Feel free to use clear lake or some other outpost far from the city center to "win" a point.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,277,757 times
Quote:
Now you're just arguing just to see yourself b**** about something. For all purposes, Houston is regarded as being about 50 miles from Galveston. Feel free to use clear lake or some other outpost far from the city center to "win" a point.
It's the same thing when people from DFW try to say that Fort Worth and Dallas are only 30 miles apart when you're talking about from downtown Dallas to downtown Ft. Worth, but Fort worth's eastern most city limits reach so far to where its only 10 miles from Dallas. So Dallasites stretch things too.

Houston and Galveston are only 40 miles apart, downtown to downtown, city courthouse to city courthouse. But Houston's southern most city limits extend past clear lake which is only about a 15-20 mile drive from Galveston.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:01 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,465,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
It's the same thing when people from DFW try to say that Fort Worth and Dallas are only 30 miles apart when you're talking about from downtown Dallas to downtown Ft. Worth, but Fort worth's eastern most city limits reach so far to where its only 10 miles from Dallas. So Dallasites stretch things too.

Houston and Galveston are only 40 miles apart, downtown to downtown, city courthouse to city courthouse. But Houston's southern most city limits extend past clear lake which is only about a 15-20 mile drive from Galveston.
Dallasites never claim that Ft.Worth is just 10 miles from Dallas...We always say 30 miles....and even 30 miles is still closer than galveston is to Houston.....but we are not allowed to claim Ft.Worth as part of the Dallas metroplex but Houstonians will scream that Galveston's beaches are their own at any given time...How is this so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston