Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Now you're just arguing just to see yourself b**** about something. For all purposes, Houston is regarded as being about 50 miles from Galveston. Feel free to use clear lake or some other outpost far from the city center to "win" a point.
Thats bs dude. You were the one who brought up city limits, and when called on it you are singing a different tunr.

You were wrong dude. Totally wrong. If you want to bring up city limits then use correct info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Dallasites never claim that Ft.Worth is just 10 miles from Dallas...We always say 30 miles....and even 30 miles is still closer than galveston is to Houston.....but we are not allowed to claim Ft.Worth as part of the Dallas metroplex but Houstonians will scream that Galveston's beaches are their own at any given time...How is this so?
dallasboi, i'm not crazy. I can remember plenty of times some Dallas posters (not all) try to put some merit into the easternmost city limit boundary of Fort Worth to shorten the gap. If i didn't have a life, I'd try to dig those threads up for you, but memory serves me well enough, you'll just have to take my word for it. Tough noggies! LOL

The difference between Galveston and Ft Worth is that Houston doesn't really have to depend on Galveston as much as Ft. Worth and Dallas work together from an economic standpoint. Houston is at the center of the regions economic and business status, so Galveston is not seen as much as a crutch city like Ft. Worth is for Dallas.

Two different animals I mean, Fort Worth is bigger than Denver, Colorado (Colorado's largest city) for crying out loud!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Dallasites never claim that Ft.Worth is just 10 miles from Dallas...We always say 30 miles....and even 30 miles is still closer than galveston is to Houston.....but we are not allowed to claim Ft.Worth as part of the Dallas metroplex but Houstonians will scream that Galveston's beaches are their own at any given time...How is this so?
Guess I missed the point when I heard DFW metroplex being mentioned my entire life. So what does FW stand for??? And actually Ft.Worth is not in Dallas metroplex...you all share the metroplex.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Guess I missed the point when I heard DFW metroplex being mentioned my entire life. So what does FW stand for??? And actually Ft.Worth is not in Dallas metroplex...you all share the metroplex.
what the heck are you talking about!!!..Go re read everything and report back.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Are you serious?? Houston to Galveston is like Ft.Worth to Dallas. Actually Galveston and Houston might be a little closer in culture and relationship. Galveston is Houstonians playground much like Long Island is to New York City. It's a cousin like kinship that the 2 cities share. And once or twice a year?? I,ve been to Galveston several times in 1 month alone. Galveston is unique to Texas period. One of the most unique cities in Texas. Why downplay that? And I hope nobody crazy enough to compare uptown to Galveston. I don't even see why that was brought up. And nobody has bashed Galveston in the Houston forum atleast not to a large extent.

Lets put it like this Houston has Galveston and Dallas has Denton...lmao or does Ft.Worth have that?
Galveston to Houston is like Long Beach to Los Angeles except Galveston is an island Long Beach is not.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Galveston to Houston is like Long Beach to Los Angeles except Galveston is an island Long Beach is not.

Not really. LA and Long Beach touch each other and theres not a huge gap in between. Galveston feels like its away from Houston more.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not really. LA and Long Beach touch each other and theres not a huge gap in between. Galveston feels like its away from Houston more.
Having been in La/Long Beach area many times and having family in between the 2 LA and Long Beach dont exactly touch each other. Alot of smaller cities concentrated in between the 2.

Its just more rural/suburban like areas in between Houston n Galveston but never feels far away even when Im coming from North Houston.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Actually the Gap between Houston has been filling in tremendously with all the growth out on 518 and 45 in the League City/Dickinson area. It's beginning to feel like a continuous stretch of development now.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Actually the Gap between Houston has been filling in tremendously with all the growth out on 518 and 45 in the League City/Dickinson area. It's beginning to feel like a continuous stretch of development now.
It feels pretty consistent to me. Do the feeders follow 45 all the way to the island?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It feels pretty consistent to me. Do the feeders follow 45 all the way to the island?
I think for the most part the feeders follow down to at least La Marque but i'm not sure about the Galveston.

I remember it was less than 6 years ago, there was a nice little gap before you actually reached Galveston, but the development had exploded off 518 around 2010 timeframe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston