Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 26,045 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I have been looking for a house in the southern part of Houston metro and two days ago I found one. The house is about 3 years old, built by a good builder (Westin Homes). The current owner has maintained the house in excellent conditions.

Only one thing worries me is they have constructed a 2-ft wide slab around the half of the building (backyard portion) adjoining the wall. The slab is just below the foundation slab, and probably 1 to 2 year old, definitely not by the original builder. There are also minor cement patches here and there in the foundation slab, apparently to seal the honeycomb holes/pores of slab concrete.

I looked very carefully any cracks in the foundation slab and upper brick facing from outside but did not see any cracks. I went inside the house and carefully looked around the walls and specially around the windows and door openings. Did not see any.

Do the foundation repair people build a slab around the wall if they jack-up the foundations ?

Also, a realtor guy told me that these days the foundation slabs are post tensioned and they do not simply crack easily unless there is a major settlement. I did not see such settlement. However, the ground is well maintained by owner with lush green lawn, it is hard to see.

Do I need to be worried ? Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
What did your inspector say?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM

Thank you for the advice. I am in the process of putting an offer. If the offer is accepted, I will organize an inspection.

How thoroughly these inspector check ? Just worried whether the inspector just come, look around, checks all boxes as okay and put inspection fee in the pocket and drive away .

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM

I just called the seller's real estate agent. The agent told me the slab was added just to walk around the house without stepping on the grass. There is no cover up for foundation repairs or anything. The person reiterated that the house is in immaculate conditions. (I agree, except my worry on the slab).

Anyone has any comment/advices.. I have to put an offer today..

Old 05-27-2013, 09:53 AM

482 posts, read 874,607 times
I agree with post tension cable. Also a lot of builders warranty for ten years and I think it is transferable. I wouldn't worry about it at all. It seems as if there is no evidence to the contrary. I think if you specifically asked and we're given an answer a professional would tell the truth. Put in your offer. Get an inspector that has done them for a long time so they know what to look for.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM

Just make sure you do the option, to protect the earnest money. You then have a few days to get the inspection, and walk if there is a problem. Agree about the post tension, but don't know how the poured addition is tie in. A decent inspector will take about 3 hours plus, with a 2400 sq ft house. You should be there for it.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Thank you all for advice

I signed the offer and will ask a thorough inpsection with detailed report. Hopefully, the slabbing is not foundation repair.

By the way, the Houston real estate market is getting heated again like in 2006/2007. I just heard from my agent, the propetry has gotten another offer also. Previous week I missed three good properties while trying to secure loan approval.

Well, if that house is for us we will get .

Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM

If your loan officer took that long for an approval, use the next few days finding a better loan officer. It's a sign of how problems will be dealt with for closing. You don't have to stick with the approval letter lender.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Thanks Cheryjohns, that is what I am gonna do. I will find a different lender while in process..

Old 05-27-2013, 02:59 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,176 times
Without pictures to help, but by the way you describe it, it sounds like the new concrete flooring you describe is supposed to move independently to your homes foundation. Of course your inspector would give his opinion on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston