Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Crono_clone, I live in Deer Park, not exactly the most exciting part of town. I guess the problem is I need to get out more. Just seems awkward going places by myself like a bar, concert or something similar. I'm very big into sports, but with my job it doesn't really allow me to participate in anything during the week.
Hmm that's true, that's way out past the Beltway and there's not much around there from what I remember.

Do you like soccer? Maybe you can check out the Houston Dynamo and start going to games. Their fans are some of the friendliest I've met (makes me wanna become a soccer fan lol) and they always seem to hang out at Little Woodrow's in EaDo right next to the stadium. If nothing else you can at least watch sports there and chat with the other patrons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Do you like outdoorsy things - cycling? Huge group cycles out from Bike Barn on Bay Area most Saturdays. All different ages. Agree about Meet-up. Search for a meet-up group that is involved in something you enjoy and go check it out. Be open to friends of all ages - you might meet friends your age, through your new older friends sometimes. Volunteer doing something you feel strongly about. If you just volunteer to meet people, it will get old fast. Whatever you do to volunteer, if you feel passionate about it and enjoy it - you will meet others who share your passion.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,002 times
i would suggest Meetup, but i've never done that. ive heard good things about it though.......me personally? i would go to a local bar/pub and go frequently. get to know the waiter/bartender/regulars and go from there..... going to a place once wont get you friends, so pick something to do or go to and go several times. once you start to see familiar faces, then maybe you can meet more people.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
II agree with the posters that say it is harder to make friends once you get out of school. It takes effort and putting yourself out there. The key is to get involved in something you are passionate about and then you will naturally find others that have the same or similar interests.

f you are religious, church is a great place to meet people. We are in the center of the bible belt here and lots of young professionals attend church, particularly inside the loop. Even huge places like Lakewood have small groups. Many churches have singles programs. The key is to find a small group and go to its activities. I met my husband at a church group.

If you are not religious, find an organization to volunteer with trough the United Way. Many of the UW organizations have groups of young professionals.

If you are a political animal there are many activities through the Harris County Democratic and Republican political parties, especially during political season. You can meet people by volunteering on campaigns or through the party's office. Houston has a mayors race and a bunch of city council races about to heat up after Labor Day.

The symphony, museums and other performing arts groups have meet ups and mixers for young professionals.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 AM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
What school did you attend in college? I would recommend joining an Alumni association and see if they have meetups.

I havent tried MeetUp.com but it seems like something thats a hit or miss. People I've met that are new to the city say that Meetup.com folks are a little off, but apparently this thread thinks otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston