Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times

Advertisements

I love EaDo and couldn't care less about the article. Every city has nicknames for areas, whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can think of a certain type of Houstonian who would avoid the Third Ward at all cost, but they would be the type who would ignorantly assume that the area is completely poor and full of crime.
Back in the late 80s and early 90s, Third Ward was definitely one of the most violent parts of the Inner Loop. I remember seemingly nightly news stories of violent crime. As a UH student during that time, I had a front-row seat to some of the goings on over there. In the last 10-12 years though, it has revitalized quite a bit.

The sorority girls at UH were the ones I was mostly talking about. I assume they are who you are referencing as well. A good portion of former UH students who went to school there in the 80s and 90s have never set foot or even car tire on the other side of Scott St.

While we are on the topic of Third Ward, does anybody remember the old man in the little house on Elgin, just over the railroad tracks, who would sell beer to underage buyers?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM

288 posts, read 434,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
I love EaDo and couldn't care less about the article. Every city has nicknames for areas, whatever...
Why? When its the Second Ward already? Its as if though people don't like thinking the Wards were associated by ethnic identity. The Second Ward & Near Northside were our Spanish Harlem & South Bronx respectively when it came to our Latino neighborhoods.

Like i mentioned earlier, this is exactly what happen to Hell's Kitchen when yuppies wanted to call it Clinton. Now its hip to call it hell's kitchen again.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Why? When its the Second Ward already? Its as if though people don't like thinking the Wards were associated by ethnic identity. The Second Ward & Near Northside were our Spanish Harlem & South Bronx respectively when it came to our Latino neighborhoods.

Like i mentioned earlier, this is exactly what happen to Hell's Kitchen when yuppies wanted to call it Clinton. Now its hip to call it hell's kitchen again.
The 2nd ward only covers part of East downtown so it's easier for me to say EaDo. I also like the sound of it. Ethnicity has nothing to do it with considering I am Mexican and many of my friends went to Austin.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
The 2nd ward only covers part of East downtown so it's easier for me to say EaDo. I also like the sound of it. Ethnicity has nothing to do it with considering I am Mexican and many of my friends went to Austin.
Oh dear god. I think anybody who actually said "EaDo" would sound like an incomprehensible douche.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 AM

392 posts, read 998,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Oh dear god. I think anybody who actually said "EaDo" would sound like an incomprehensible douche.
I have never heard anyone actually call it EaDo in real life except for my Realtor when I was buying.

PS:
Who was awesome btw and reads these forums lol.

Serious so glad he steered me to this side of town when I was looking for my first home.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Incomprehensible to who? Many people are familiar with the term in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston