Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
P.S. I know that girl broke your heart but stop taking it out on ole Galveston!
Well played sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
You said, in the first quote," if you had never visited an American beach " I took this to mean people not in America, who might come to America to visit a beach. Then you said " what would you then think of all American beaches" This again leads me to believe, these people you are talking about, are not Americans. You did not mention any specific country, so I randomly pulled France, and Brazil out of thin air, merely to help illustrate a point. ok...

As for Midwestern, and southern families, many will choose Galveston over other Gulf coast beaches, Why? Who knows, but they will make their own choice, whether it comports with your opinion or not. They will come to Galveston, and they for the most part will have a good time. And not feel cheated, or mislead, by this article, or any other article, or opinion, that lead them to make the decision to choose Galveston. Is that ok?
There are many people in The US who have never been to a beach. I put Galveston in the context of American beaches, because that's the context of the article's headline as written by the Chronicle.

I also didn't say anything about people "feeling misled". Neither you nor I know how someone would feel after reading that article and seeing Galveston. I simply gave my opinion. You chose to extrapolate that opinion to the French, Brazilians, Midwesterners and Southerners and found your conclusion offensive. Okay by me, but apparently not for you.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
There are many people in The US who have never been to a beach. I put Galveston in the context of American beaches, because that's the context of the article's headline as written by the Chronicle.

I also didn't say anything about people "feeling misled". Neither you nor I know how someone would feel after reading that article and seeing Galveston. I simply gave my opinion. You chose to extrapolate that opinion to the French, Brazilians, Midwesterners and Southerners and found your conclusion offensive. Okay by me, but apparently not for you.
If they have never been to a beach before they will find Galveston, fun, awesome, and fascinating. If they like beaches at all. How could they possibly form a negative opinion of any beach, or American beaches in general, if their only experience is with one. They will not care if there are better beaches while they are here. If they ever go to another beach, they may decide to try a beach people say is better than the one they went to last time. Do you remember what you thought the first time you saw any beach? The wide open Gulf will seem like a marvel in their eyes

Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think it's best to think of the Galveston beaches as being like that convenient little food stop on the way home. It's convenient to where you live while offering something to satisfy a craving. Just as you wouldn't consider that little food stop as an international gastro-destination or even a place you'd be recommending people from Nevada to travel, it works for you due to its convenience. Sure, it would be great to have the 10 best restaurants in the world a block from your house, but just because they aren't there, should you avoid eating anywhere else?

Now, Galveston, with the beach as a backdrop, is a good travel destination, IMHO, for people in the southeast Texas and central Texas area.
This is the best description of Galveston. The beaches aren't that great but it's neat to have that nearby in a Wal-martish-convenience kind of way. Now as a tourist destination for historical sights and museums and general stuff to do, Galveston has immense potential. But it's still too run down right now.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 PM

87 posts, read 241,280 times
galveston beach is terrible. top ten worst beaches in america i would say. its only plus is that its sunny. but cmon, its brown muddy looking water, lacks a lot of palm trees, sand is rough, and theres been petroleum plants dumping there in the past, so its been contaminated and i dont trust the epa to say its better now. theres petro plants pretty close by also. its just plain ugly. the waves are not even big enough to surf really. its not a real beach, sorry galveston lovers, that is my opinion, i have been to the beaches in miami and california. no comparison. its like comparing our downtown houston skyline to chicagos or nyc.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,916 times
Galveston is just fine some people in this thread are just hating to hating just stop being lame already. If you live within 2hrs of Galveston you do not have the time to drive to Florida 2 to 3 times a yr so they have gotten to like it and there is a a lot more to do in the city that many other beach cities

Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 PM

87 posts, read 241,280 times
i agree, its better than no beach, a million times better than having no beach within an hour drive, but theres no way for it to be a top ten beach. if i had a really old messed up car, its much better than no car, but it still is a terrible car.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEsq View Post
galveston beach is terrible. top ten worst beaches in america i would say. its only plus is that its sunny. but cmon, its brown muddy looking water, lacks a lot of palm trees, sand is rough, and theres been petroleum plants dumping there in the past, so its been contaminated and i dont trust the epa to say its better now. theres petro plants pretty close by also. its just plain ugly. the waves are not even big enough to surf really. its not a real beach, sorry galveston lovers, that is my opinion, i have been to the beaches in miami and california. no comparison. its like comparing our downtown houston skyline to chicagos or nyc.
You know there are petro plants along the coast of CA? Actually most of CA where people (can) live is probably a bigger toxic pit than anywhere in TX, except for the Golden Triangle.

I agree with what you say about the waves. However you could say it makes it more kid-friendly.

Florida is great I will admit. Alabama is probably even better, considering it's the same pristine beach & environment but not a trendy state and without the lame clientele.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You know there are petro plants along the coast of CA? Actually most of CA where people (can) live is probably a bigger toxic pit than anywhere in TX, except for the Golden Triangle.
You make a great point... except for the fact that it's completely false.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,161 times
Quote:
There seems to be this obsessively pathological need by some people to dis Galveston, either in its entirety or specifically its beaches. I appreciate your thoughts. I looked at your profile, and from the zip code provided, assume you are either in, or from Florida, so your opinion of Galveston should carry some additional weight

I hope you carry through on your plans to visit Galveston, I think it has a lot to offer

Thanks! I'm in Florida-yes our beaches are great but I'm going to visit family and haven't been to Galveston in a while..so I thought I'd drop by before heading back-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston