Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times

Advertisements

This is like the time I bought a new home in Austin during a boom period. Watched and "supervised' construction from the ground up. It was a disaster and I ended up moving out within 2 years, as the house was falling apart (literally). My current home was built in 1966 and is rock solid. It has never had a thing go wrong with it in 21 years, and it's almost 50 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
Forget about it. Perry lobbied Rick Perry and the state lege to write very favorable laws for new home builders. You should never buy a new home in Texas. You have no legal recourse when things go wrong. On the other hand, if you purchase a pre-existing home and the previous owner didn't disclose a known condition, you can go straight to court.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
You should never buy a new home in Texas. You have no legal recourse when things go wrong.
Over-dramatize much?

There will be somewhere between 90,000 and 120,000 housing starts in Texas this year. Are all 120,000 going to fall apart? Of course not. Are all of them built like the Rock of Gibraltar? Also no.

As in any business, there are unscrupulous builders, and there are deceitful home buyers. But the vast VAST majority of builders & buyers want to build/buy a good home to live in, to raise a family in, to retire in. If 99.9% of the homes built make all sides happy, why brush the entire industry with such a broad negative stroke?

For the OP to claim Perry Homes has no ethics, based on his single instance of buying from them, I find that a ridiculous claim. He may well have a legit gripe, but I'm guessing the attitude that makes him/her come here and post this wild claim is the same attitude that makes the builder roll their eyes and run the other way, every time they see him coming. It's a two way street.

I rarely have a problem that isn't resolved somehow, someway. I firmly believe it's my attitude that makes that happen. People aren't the enemy, they're the journey.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 AM

4 posts, read 12,145 times
Thanks everyone for responding and helpful advice.

People make their opinion about their builder from personal experience and live through it rest of their lives. My experience first hand is Perry's sales people are a bunch of ass**** who play to outsmart you at every step of the building process. It just won't stop after you ink the building contact. They constantly bomb you with words like - 'you are going to lose your earnest money', you are going to be charged a 'go back' at the drop of a hat. Very frustrating but got to live with it, similar like car sales.

However, one expects the builder to have some quality standards and checks/balances that they always talk about in their sales pitch. Perry would not commit to fix anything in writing on the issues in the walkthrough or step up to accept responsibility of their poor quality. If you ask them to share their inspection/quality check reports, they won't share it any cost. But they do force their buyers to close to buy an unfinished home. Ultimately it is all tactics but for most home buyers, this is the biggest purchase they make in their lives and there are money hogging traps every step of the way, with the sales people trying to outsmart. How difficult could it be for one to get that buyers have bought a finished home and it is the builders responsibility to deliver a 'complete' home.

Perry Homes' greed to make unreasonable profits without providing needed infrastructure and resources to support their speed of build, is resulting in compromise of quality big time and is at the cost of the builders image. Perry has always been known for good quality due to which buyers pay a premium to them. In fact that is all their sales people brag about in their entire sales pitch. Perry is headed for a showdown.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Over-dramatize much?

There will be somewhere between 90,000 and 120,000 housing starts in Texas this year. Are all 120,000 going to fall apart? Of course not. Are all of them built like the Rock of Gibraltar? Also no.

As in any business, there are unscrupulous builders, and there are deceitful home buyers. But the vast VAST majority of builders & buyers want to build/buy a good home to live in, to raise a family in, to retire in. If 99.9% of the homes built make all sides happy, why brush the entire industry with such a broad negative stroke?

For the OP to claim Perry Homes has no ethics, based on his single instance of buying from them, I find that a ridiculous claim. He may well have a legit gripe, but I'm guessing the attitude that makes him/her come here and post this wild claim is the same attitude that makes the builder roll their eyes and run the other way, every time they see him coming. It's a two way street.

I rarely have a problem that isn't resolved somehow, someway. I firmly believe it's my attitude that makes that happen. People aren't the enemy, they're the journey.
Maybe he is, but I don't think outsiders who move to Texas realize that consumers have no protection in Texas. A lot of it is federal law and the average insurance agent, builder, seller etc. just assumes that most Texans are ignorant to federal law and will believe what they say.

So, I think the real moral of the story is new people, know what you are getting into when you move to Texas. Really, really do your homework, and when it comes to your protection be extremely knowledgeable about the law. I've been in many a situation over the years both in work and as a consumer where you can just see on the person's face that they are in shock that I know so much about my rights.

It's a very powerful weapon.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
I still call BS.
my dealings w/Perry and everyone I know living in Cinco and CCR has been nothing but stellar.
I can call three different people @ perry responsible for my house and they or a represenitive will be here within the hour.

the OP's alleged dealings w/Perry are so far out of the norm for ANY BUILDER in this area, I have ZERO reason to believe him.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
I still call BS.
my dealings w/Perry and everyone I know living in Cinco and CCR has been nothing but stellar.
I can call three different people @ perry responsible for my house and they or a represenitive will be here within the hour.

the OP's alleged dealings w/Perry are so far out of the norm for ANY BUILDER in this area, I have ZERO reason to believe him.
I agree with you Billy. I also agree with astroship and I never agree with anything he says. The OP is just a one hit one post wonder who every contractor wishes never would walk into their store. I too know all the Builders and have so for over 3 decades. No Builder has quality issues with punch lists of over 100 items unless their customer are chronic complainers. The OP is a liar. Analyze the things they said.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 AM

702 posts, read 1,237,010 times
That's pretty harsh to be labeling the OP a liar. I've dealt with a few builders and they're all the same. They have all refused to fix issues that were brought up when they said they would or they have brushed it off as that's how we build our homes. From what I've experienced, they don't care if they sell you the home. They have the mentality that someone else will come in and purchase it. They will do everything in their power to keep your earnest money and try and sell you a incomplete home.

The last home I was going to purchase, the corbels were missing in front of the home, a drawer was missing from the cabinet, some tiles were cracked or broken, nails were sticking out of cabinets, there was plaster all over the walls they fixed and they didn't repaint it, spots of paint on some of the fixtures and carpet, trash in the home, missing porch light, and some other stuff. The builder had over nine months to complete this home and they couldn't finish it on their promised closing date. Would you purchase a incomplete home yourself?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM

682 posts, read 1,942,314 times
All issues I brought up with my builder, no matter how small or picky, were fixed prior to closing. All items found by the inspector, regardless if was a code issue or not, were fixed. Granted there were probably less than 20, but they were all still taken care of and we closed on the date promised. The few problems and things found after closing were all fixed within 24 hours except when a outside vendor was involved...and even that was fixed in less than a week. A couple issues that were found outside of the warranty period were also fixed promptly with no issues for being outside of warranty.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:18 AM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I'm glad the real estate agent kept the e-mail I sent her regarding my questions about the house we were purchasing. That enabled the warranty company to join my lawsuit against the builder. He and the real estate agent lied to everybody in town including his banker who turned out to be our banker, too.

Some builders are good. Some not so good. Some of them are very good at sucking us all in.

Just like priest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: