Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Just what is it about Austin other than the natural landscape that is so fascinating? It's too small.
Nothing to do with it being too small...just over all not a very interesting place.

There were a couple of cool things in Austin but that was all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yep, and Houston is becoming a larger distribution hub, too. Especially with I-69 moving forward and all of the port/panama canal expansions going on.
I said it before and I'll say it again, I-69 won't be finished in your lifetime. I-49 hasn't been finished in 30+ years, what makes you think I-69 will?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Just what is it about Austin other than the natural landscape that is so fascinating? It's too small.
In Austin people go out and do things outside even if it's 105. You just don't see that in Houston. So if you're into an outdoors way of life Austin has Houston beat in that regard. I run, kayak, and go to the lake year round here in Austin. I like to eat outdoors, I can go to Torchy's tacos and it's jam packed outside, even in the summer heat. In Houston I guarantee EVERY person would be inside in the A/C.

There is a totally different vibe here, Houston is about living in climate control 24x7x365, Austin is about enjoying nature 24x7x365. Sorry but that's the truth.

The people in Austin look better because of this, they are more fit, eat better, and are tanner.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I don't think this is the only way of seeing if a economy is diverse or not. Not having a corporate HQ doesn't mean there aren't a lot of operations being done here (BBVA being an example). Plus, how would you measure the TMC, Port, tourism (domestic flyers to Houston has increased a lot over the past couple of years), etc. All the stats point to a more diverse economy. Houston is only slightly below the national average now.
Trae - Not trying to be contrary, but if you have a link backing up your bolded claim, that would be very informative. Here are the data on Houston's largest employers: Houston isn't just all about energy - Houston Chronicle

When I look at the list, here is what jumps out to at me regarding the Top 25 employers: lots of healthcare, retail, United Airlines and of course, oil and gas. I still see oil & gas as the driver of Houston's economy. Healthcare employes around 105.6K employees among the top 25. O&G employes is next with around 75K employees on that list, and they are by and large some of the most well-paid jobs in the metro. This industry also supports a multitude of small service contractors - perhaps some of you reading this. It's not only these well-paid employees who contribute mightily to the economy, but their dependents, and the extensive network of small contractors (along with their dependents). If you took the O&G complex out of the picture, there might still be enough momentum for Houston to be a medical destination, but a large number of patients would fall out of the system. Same for retail - who's shopping at Home Depot, eating at McDonalds and picking up milk at HEB and Krogers if the O&G employees, their dependents and the multitude of small service contractors are taken away? Who will be filling all those high-priced first class seats on United if not O&G power brokers? How many folks will be buying and renovating expensive houses? As for the port, what would be shipped in and out if not for oil, gas, and petrochemicals? What happens to the quality of the arts and the viability of the non-profits if you take away the charitable giving by the likes of Shell, Exxon, Chevron, BP and the rest?

I believe if there were a major and sustained plummet in energy prices, Houston's economy would stall or decline. As bad as the 1980s? No. And that's to the city's credit. Yes, Houston is diversifying. Is it diversified? Show me some data. I'm here to be educated. Believe it or not, I'm not not trying to be stubborn or make a point if it can be refuted with data instead of unsubstantiated statements.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 08-04-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Here is the link: Principal Global Investors - Real Estate

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...es-us-msa.html

There would definitely be a decline if the energy sector fell because it is a large part of the economy. But these energy companies have their hands in so many different things now. They are going to keep chugging for a while and the city will keep diversifying. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Cities go through booms and busts all the time.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
^^^ Not sure I can follow the data to the link the actual data in the Prudential site. Not looking for a pi$$ing match though. Houston is diversifying, which is good. IMO, it is remains unhealthily pretty vulnerable to energy prices. Continuing diversification should be a focus.

As for the energy companies diversifying - yes. That said, I know the industry. These companies still rise and fall with the price of crude. Even refining and retail are not a great source of profit. Alternatives such as wind and solar represent a drop in the bucket of their investments and profits. Many of them dabble in alternatives so they can use it as a marketing tool when recruiting on campus.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In Austin people go out and do things outside even if it's 105. You just don't see that in Houston. So if you're into an outdoors way of life Austin has Houston beat in that regard. I run, kayak, and go to the lake year round here in Austin. I like to eat outdoors, I can go to Torchy's tacos and it's jam packed outside, even in the summer heat. In Houston I guarantee EVERY person would be inside in the A/C.

There is a totally different vibe here, Houston is about living in climate control 24x7x365, Austin is about enjoying nature 24x7x365. Sorry but that's the truth.

The people in Austin look better because of this, they are more fit, eat better, and are tanner.
1. 105 degrees is almost unheard of in Houston...
2. And even if it were common, you know this, how? Guess you've never heard of FPSF...

Just. Stop.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

LOL people do that everywhere. Now I'm sure Austin easily wins this but people hang outside at restaurants in Houston too. Dinner time in the summer is cooler than lunch time.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 AM

385 posts, read 967,955 times
Austin is lame. Let's keep the thread on topic.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM

57 posts, read 109,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
And by the way, just about all the states and cities that are hurting, or have gone bankrupt have one thing in common, they are, and have been run by Liberals.

Houston is doing fine.
Psssttt, Isn't Houston currently run by a liberal? And (gasp) a gay one at that? In fact, there hasn't been a Republican running the city of Houston since Jim McConn left in the early '80s. That's over 30 yrs of Dems running Houston. How long, exactly, does it take for a Liberal to destroy these cities and cause them to go bankrupt? Interestingly, California has been "run" by Republican governors for 24 of the last 30 yrs too, including the "bankrupt" decade of early 2000s. Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston