Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,739 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new here and need some information on South Asian ethnic enclaves in Houston.

In particular:

1. What is the ethnic composition breakdown of these South Asian groups? ie
Indian - Punjabi? Gujarati? Marathi? Tamil?
Pakistani?
Ismaili?
Indian Muslims?
Which ones dominate, and where are they geographically spread out?

2. How do these ethnic enclaves operate in America?

A friend from over in the States told me that the "Little India" ethnic enclaves there are dominated by usually one type of community, and that those who do not belong in their membership/caste seen as virtual outsiders, and are therefore kept out of their residential areas.

He said that the Little India ethnic enclaves in Houston are totally dominated by Gujarati Hindus from one specific "Samaj" that came to America from the same area back in Gujarat, and that as a result those areas are totally "cordoned-off" to outsiders, including Gujarati Jains, Muslims and Christians who are of the same ethnic background. Is that true?

3. Where are the Gujarati-only ethnic enclaves in the States? in particular Houston?

As much info as possible would be appreciated.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 03:45 PM

22 posts, read 59,492 times
What are you talking about? My parents are Indian Muslims and we've lived in Houston since 1994. I haven't seen any areas "cordoned-off" to outsiders and they have friends who are Gujarati Hindus. I think it depends on what you consider "cordoned-off". There are communities in Houston that tend to congregate in certain areas based on affordability, family ties and access to good schools, workplaces and businesses.

There are apartment complexes that may be predominantly occupied by people from a certain village, but there will be non-Indians living there as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulf View Post
What are you talking about? My parents are Indian Muslims and we've lived in Houston since 1994. I haven't seen any areas "cordoned-off" to outsiders and they have friends who are Gujarati Hindus. I think it depends on what you consider "cordoned-off". There are communities in Houston that tend to congregate in certain areas based on affordability, family ties and access to good schools, workplaces and businesses.

There are apartment complexes that may be predominantly occupied by people from a certain village, but there will be non-Indians living there as well.

Thanks, abdulf.

Interesting. Yes, this friend of mine who was born and grew up in the States (Gujarati Christian from New Jersey) actually said that Gujarati Hindus over in Houston are kind of racist about allowing other ethnic groups into their "ethnic enclave", and that if there are Gujarati Brahmins among them then Muslims are definitely not welcome to live in their neighborhoods. I was personally thinking this may have to do with communalism and the two groups redefining new territories following aftermath 2002 riots.

He mentioned that it was Gujarati Hindus in particular who "cordoned-off" non-Hindus from their residential areas, and that this scenario represents the traditional American definition of a Little India ethnic enclave. I don't necessarily agree with his version and was wondering whether this was true or not. I live in Europe and have never experienced any of that discrimination happening here, so was surprised that this sense of elitist casteism is allowed to go on in the States undetected as it would put me off moving there.

If you don't mind answering: what is your particular Indian Muslim ethnic background? And there any Gujarati Muslims in Houston?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Lots of South Asians in Sugar Land. Very friendly people in general. If you can afford it, anybody can buy a house there, as it's an open real-estate market.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
Your friend is completely and totally off-base.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Your friend is completely and totally off-base.
Why is that?

Yes, it didn't make sense to me why he would say that, but he says since he lives there he knows more about the political climate of America than anyone.

These Gujarati Hindus supposedly bring their racist caste system to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: