Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,500 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are relocating to Houston. We have spent the last 6 years living within walking distance of the beach and I know I will miss that. It's not possible for us to live at the beach in Houston as my husband will need to be in the city 3 days a week, but we'd like to live semi close... thinking maybe Clear Lake or League City, but don't know which neighborhoods are nice. Can you give me an idea of what the feel of the area is? We have three young kids, but don't necessarily have to live around families... just safe and nice. Preferably not ALL old people, but a nice mix would be good.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM

418 posts, read 741,882 times
Another Californian joining us? Funny how no one says where they're coming from.

If you're used to clean, blue water, you're in for a disappointment. Maybe you've visited Galveston and already know that. I have friends in both Clear Lake and League City and they each love it there.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Clear Lake or Kemah

Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM

hi, thank you for your input. We are moving from the Puget Sound area near Seattle. We did live in California near the beach as well, though I consider myself a native Texan, I graduated from UH

I'm mainly looking for specific streets/neighborhoods/etc. I'd love to hear from people that know the area really well, as it's hard to tell the "feel" of a street or neighborhood via google maps. I grew up North of Houston, so I can pinpoint the nicer neighborhoods with a safe happy feeling (if that makes sense), but I don't know the south side at all.

Thank you again for your help!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,281 times
What's your budget? Bay Oaks in Clear Lake and Nassau Bay in Webster are some of the nicest neighborhoods in that area. Basically try not to be too close to Highway 3 or Bay Area Blvd and you should be fine. It's a bit of a sleepy town compared to the hustle and bustle of the North side, hehe

It may not have a beach, but you definitely live close to the water in that area if you choose. Agan, look in Nassau Bay or along Marina Bay Drive and take a look at some of the neighborhoods. If you're visiting soon, it's worth a drive to see what you can find. There's two ways you can take from the highway - Nasa Parkway or Hwy 518. Nasa Parkway takes you through Clear Lake (and past Space Center Houston) and Hwy 518 (turns into E Main Street and then Marina Bay Drive) takes you through League City. Both will have a view of the water as you head east towards Kemah.

If you want something a little more rural, try Friendswood. They have great schools.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM

34 posts, read 54,814 times
I agree with the posters above. There are also nice neighborhoods along both sides of League City Pkwy/96 which is divided by hwy 45. It's just south of 518 and bordered on the east by 146.

The links I've posted give you an idea but you can find homes a little more expensive than these and can find some cheaper in the same areas. I've also included 646 so you can get an idea of that area as well.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=29.50348...bp=11,225,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/?ll=29.48002...cbp=11,90,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/?ll=29.45805...bp=11,225,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/?ll=29.47960...bp=12,225,,0,0

Most of the pics were taken 5 years ago and the area has developed since then.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM

thank you both! My husband was just there a couple weeks ago, but didnt go through the area. He goes back at the end of the month and plans to look around more. I will give him this info.

Our budget is... well I'm not sure. Our house here is mid- $500's, but we dont pay for airconditioning, or HOA fees or hurricane insurance and property taxes are cheaper, so when we factor all of that in, our budget may be closer to $400K.

Thank you!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
FYI - Nassau Bay is hard to get insurance on now - alot of companies won't cover. League City, Friendswood or Clear Lake are all nice.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
FYI - Nassau Bay is hard to get insurance on now - alot of companies won't cover. League City, Friendswood or Clear Lake are all nice.
this is good to know. i noticed prices were lower there. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston