Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM

235 posts, read 360,401 times

Advertisements

I went down there a couple of times when I first moved here mainly because I missed the beach (used to live next to the water). The downtown was interesting and there was some interesting architecture. I even tried to fish a bit off one of those piers but I didn't catch anything edible.

About a year after Ike I went down there to check it out and while walking on the beach I almost stepped on a syringe. The place was filthy and I refused to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I don't really use the beach but find other stuff I enjoy. But see lots of others enjoying the beach every time im there. I want to go to the sandcastle competition but always seem to miss the date.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
About a year after Ike I went down there to check it out and while walking on the beach I almost stepped on a syringe. The place was filthy and I refused to go back.
You're much more likely to step on a syringe on a beach in SoCal than Galveston. Galveston has dirty water (as in dirt - sediment) and muddy sand (as in dirt - sediment), but "filthy", no.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Galveston beaches really are not dirty. The water is murky because of the Mississippi river delta. That is why the further south you go the cleaner it looks. I have been out in the surf many times. It does not taste like oil. It is not because of the refineries or the ship channel. It is massive amounts of sediment moved by the river into the gulf. The rotation of the earth causes the water to be carried to the west here. Figure out how to spin the earth the other direction and then Florida can have crappy murky water and we can have gorgeous beaches.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,018 times
Is it weird that I never think of the beach when I go to Galveston? To me it's all about the Strand, the historical houses, and the water parks hehe. Running around the seawall is fun too. My favorite spot there is Murdoch's, where you can sit on the lounge chairs drinking beer and watch the water.

Galveston has changed so much just like Houston has, and for the better. And yes, even the beaches. Hurricane Ike was a natural disaster, so I dunno why people keep bringing it up like it was somehow Galveston's fault it they got in the way.

If you don't like the seaweed I recommend going before or after the summer. I always go around April/May before the seaweed come, and the beaches look great. In the summer, they have to leave the seaweed on the beaches because otherwise there'd be beach at all. Seaweed protects them from erosion.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM

I love to go to Galveston for lunch during the winter time on a cold sunny day. The color of the water is a whole lot prettier for some reason whenever it gets cold outside.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You're much more likely to step on a syringe on a beach in SoCal than Galveston. Galveston has dirty water (as in dirt - sediment) and muddy sand (as in dirt - sediment), but "filthy", no.
Depends on the beach but most beaches that would visit or hang out at are cleaned regularly.

The beach I visited in Galveston had not been properly cleaned in some time and you could tell. Apart from the syringe, it was covered in rubbish. Lots of plastic shopping bags and just garbage in the sand (form cups, cans, etc.).

It was filthy. Again, I avoid the place now and would rather drive to a better beach or visit the lakes around Austin.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
Depends on the beach but most beaches that would visit or hang out at are cleaned regularly.

The beach I visited in Galveston had not been properly cleaned in some time and you could tell. Apart from the syringe, it was covered in rubbish. Lots of plastic shopping bags and just garbage in the sand (form cups, cans, etc.).

It was filthy. Again, I avoid the place now and would rather drive to a better beach or visit the lakes around Austin.
If you want to ignore all the people who say Galveston beaches are clean and just refuse to give it a second chance that is your call. But remember that was one beach out of nearly 30 miles of beaches on Galveston Island, and another 20 or 30 miles of beaches on Bolivar that you experienced, one time.

So generalizing that all Galveston beaches are filthy is unfair. BTW can you tell us what the name of that beach was ?

Last edited by Jack Lance; 08-19-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM

Of course you did say you visited after Ike was filthy. Ike washed up a lot of debris from all over. Can't really fault Galveston for that. I do give Galveston kudos for bouncing back as well as they did. Ike ripped Galveston a new one and the residents and city bounced back in fabulous form w/o sitting around feeling sorry for themselves and waiting for government assistance. Yeah they asked for it but they didn't sit around crying and waiting on it to start taking action.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
If you want to ignore all the people who say Galveston beaches are clean and just refuse to give it a second chance that is your call. But remember that was one beach out of nearly 30 miles of beaches on Galveston Island, and another 20 or 30 miles of beaches on Bolivar that you experienced, one time.

So generalizing that all Galveston beaches are filthy is unfair. BTW can you tell us what the name of that beach was ?
I suggest you go back and re-read my original post.

I visited Galveston many times prior to that. I thought the downtown area was interesting and the architecture was nice (if spotty). I even tried to fish several times while down there.

Every time I visited (both before and after Ike), the beaches were disgusting. Rubbish all over the sand. The water smelled terrible.

Sorry. I gave the place a try and it was not nice. Galveston sold its soul to the oil industry a long time ago and it is an industrial port city like Port Arthur or Lake Charles. I would rather drive to South Padre or (better yet), Florida where they take care of their beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston