Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,789 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into building a home on our land. I've been informed that mobile homes do not appreciate in value, but rather, depreciate. I've also heard that modular homes (built off site and pieced together at the location) is a better alternative than a site built home. Can anyone give me some guidance on this? Do they both appreciate in value? If so, what is the difference? Does anyone know of a reputable company in the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,283,745 times
Default Metal homes?

Have you considered a metal home? Basically a metal building where you build the house on the inside.... never worry about rot, termites, etc. It seems to be the new thing from what I've been reading.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,135,992 times
Structures of any sort do not appreciate in value, only land appreciates in value. So in terms of investment I'd go with the trailer.

EDIT: the metal home is a good suggestion

Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,242,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebolt View Post
I'm looking into building a home on our land. I've been informed that mobile homes do not appreciate in value, but rather, depreciate. I've also heard that modular homes (built off site and pieced together at the location) is a better alternative than a site built home. Can anyone give me some guidance on this? Do they both appreciate in value? If so, what is the difference? Does anyone know of a reputable company in the area? Thanks!
Some quick, rough thoughts:

Mobile homes, AKA trailer park homes, are an inexpensive way to get a home quickly. But as you learned, they don't tend to appreciate. They are also tornado magnets.

Modular homes are fairly uncommon in Texas. They are just a regular home where certain parts (example--wall panels) are built off-site, and brought to the jobsite ready to install. There shouldn't be any significant difference in the long-term value of a modular versus site-built, as a home is a home. But it is very rare to find modular builders, although I have heard of a few.

Site built is what builders do. Build a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Structures of any sort do not appreciate in value, only land appreciates in value. So in terms of investment I'd go with the trailer.

EDIT: the metal home is a good suggestion
This is an odd statement to make. Of course structures appreciate, ask the local appraisal district.

A well built home or commercial building can last for 50-100 years or more, as long as they are maintained. And they will increase in value over time, if there is demand for them.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Some quick, rough thoughts:

Mobile homes, AKA trailer park homes, are an inexpensive way to get a home quickly. But as you learned, they don't tend to appreciate. They are also tornado magnets.
No, they are not *tornado magnets.* That is a silly myth.

The Weather Notebook: Brainstorm Answer: Tornadoes and Mobile Homes

Quote:
The truth is that tornadoes are in no physical way attracted to manufactured houses of any kind. That would be like saying that snow is attracted to mountains, or hurricanes are attracted to fish. There just happens to be a lot of trailer parks where there happens to be a lot of tornadoes. Also, there are probably a lot more mobile homes than you think.

One in 25 Americans live in some kind of mobile structure, mostly in states where there are dozens and dozens of tornadoes each year. Places like the great plains, in general, have lots of folks living in these structures, which are just not built strongly enough to withstand even your run of the mill wind storm, let alone a tornado.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM

833 posts, read 1,888,842 times
I suggest to look at what is around you. If you have a bunch of mobile homes then probably best to put a nice mobile home. If not build a site built home.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebolt View Post
The main difference between a mod home, and a mobile home is that the mobile home has axles under it.

Be careful, some people like to call mobile homes 'modular homes.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston