Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times

Advertisements

Expanded .. view of the projecthttp://swamplot.com/a-first-look-at-the-strip-center-and-apartments-combo-that-could-go-up-between-uh-and-tsu/2013-09-23/#comment-752591..

Which seems to call for making scott st the main corrider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:14 PM

392 posts, read 998,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Expanded .. view of the projecthttp://swamplot.com/a-first-look-at-the-strip-center-and-apartments-combo-that-could-go-up-between-uh-and-tsu/2013-09-23/#comment-752591..

Which seems to call for making scott st the main corrider
Working link

A First Look at the Strip Center-and-Apartments Combo That Could Go Up Between UH and TSU » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

I don't get the pricing the black community out of their neighborhood argument.

They are getting primo dollars for their house that's barley even standing correct? I drive through 3rd ward atleast twice a day during the work week and live nearby. I see the condition of those houses on a daily basis, there's hardly anything left worth the effort to "save and preserve" the history.

IMO focus on preserving the schools, cemetery, churches, library etc, and bulldoze the rest

Last edited by ComeAtMe; 09-23-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 AM

58 posts, read 101,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post

They are getting primo dollars for their house that's barley even standing correct? I drive through 3rd ward atleast twice a day during the work week and live nearby. I see the condition of those houses on a daily basis, there's hardly anything left worth the effort to "save and preserve" the history.

IMO focus on preserving the schools, cemetery, churches, library etc, and bulldoze the rest
They won't get primo $ for anything. You can buy a dilapidated house on a lot for $30-40,000 right now, half that of a suburban lot in BFE, and a fraction of a lot in Montrose. Considering its proximity to downtown, that tells you just how undesirable that area is. I suppose someone with radical ideas will buy those lots, demo and hire a lawn crew. Ive actually flirted with that idea. But if investors believed the area will clean up in the next 10-20 years they would've already done so.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:44 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Accept they are not all falling down.. spoken like someone who has prob never even walked the streets of the neighbor you are bashing...and by your logic we should go into rual area and start tearing down homes to since they can get pretty raggy
You're right. Now all of them. Some are already past that. So you hear me talking about bulldozing it.. might not be necessary. Just needs some wind.
Walked through there many times. That's how I know. The condition this area is in is unacceptable. Having said that, 99% of the people there would probably move out tomorrow if given the opportunity.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
why not invest in suburban style, middle class housing?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
why not invest in suburban style, middle class housing?
Well for starters who would buy a suburban style house in the third ward? That target demographic mostly consists of families in search of a good/decent school district so that would leave the third ward out.

It would make more sense to build apartments and townhomes in the Third Ward as those housing styles cater to singles or DINKS who would be the first people to move in and revitalize the area.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM

I know several folks who would move back to the loop if the housing matched what they do in the suburbs...and I'm not talking about the fancy homes, just a $150K to $200K option....townhomes, apartments promote transients

Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
If those "transients" are white collar professionals than I don't see why that would be a problem, and besides that has not stopped neighborhoods such as Montrose and Midtown from receiving new investment/residents.

If anything if there is more diversity added to the housing stock (as opposed to just having single family homes) and if more commercial establishments were added it would improve the neighborhood and make it more attractive.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM

will those families send their kids to Chavez? Ortiz? The older families years ago sent their kids to Milby, Sterling, etc.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Montrose and Midtown never was considered the "culture" center for a particular race compared to 3rd ward....

Our problem is why keep throwing apartments up, tearing down homes when you can do a suburban project in the city and benefit everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston