Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,329,986 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my master bathroom has a very large counter, but for some reason only one sink. I have never seen a bathroom with this much counter space NOT have 2 sinks, and would like to fix that

Problem is I have NO idea how much something like this would be, and don't really want to call a bunch of people to come give me an estimate when I am clueless. I wouldn't be surprised if they said $500, or $7,000 -- I am completely clueless.

Can someone with some basic home remodeling knowledge put me in the right ball park here? I know a lot will depend on the counter itself, but lets just say middle-o'-the-road. And I don't want to touch my cabinets if that's an option. Just want 2 sinks!

(I have a picture, just can't figure out how to post it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 01:32 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,746,144 times
I estimate that job would cost you between $500 and $7000.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:13 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,797,235 times
I am a hard bargainer so here is what I do.

Figure out the cost of material, you should have some idea what needs to be changed or added. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and and tell them what you want to do, they will give you a rough estimate.
Then to that add say 10 to 14 hours of labor. Ask the contractor how he want's to get paid, by the project or by the our. Also ask him how long will take for the project.
After you deduct the raw material cost and it comes to a huge $$$ for the hourly labor then you will know he is taking you downtown....

Just a good place to start....

Old 12-18-2010, 04:16 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,512,910 times
If you are adding a sink, thus messing with the plumbing, you will have to get a permit. If you don't you could run the risk of being busted and fined.

If it's older house COH has been a MAJOR pain in the ass lately about plumbing...I don't even want to get into it, but they get $75 each time they have to inspect. Most older homes have 1 1/2 pipe, they now want 2" and no longer are letting people grandfather the trasitions in for the upgrades. It's insane.

The sink and the counter will cost you half what the plumbing will. Total job $750-1000 if they don't make you pull out 20-30 feet of plumbing.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:37 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,211,463 times
I am going to guess about $1000 - and EA is correct - about half will be to extend the plumbing from the one sink to include a second.

Get about 3 or 4 bids. Let us knw how close we were.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,004 times
TC: I know its been almost 3 years. I was wondering if you found someone who could do the job and also how much did it costs for the job as well. Let me know. I am in the same boat right now. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,699,525 times
A lot of this will depend on the materials you use. You could easily spend 500 a sink. You also have to buy fixtures. It depends on the counter top material you use. The best thing you can do is buy the materials yourself. Build.com is a great place with a large variety. I am assuming you are pitching the old one. And you have to move it to have them both centered. Can the cabinet even handle two sinks? I imagine the drawers will get in the way.

2 sinks, 2 faucets, plumbing hardware, counter top, someone to cut the counter top. New cabinets.

This is not such a simple job. It is hard to ball park something like this without a picture and what you want done. It you just want something rigged in there and the cabinet can hold it without moving the old one it should not cost much.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,004 times
Schumasher713; Thanks for responding back. Just to expand on my project. I already have one sink. I need to add another one. Think of "L" Shape. The longer side of the "L" shape has sink, tub and the shower (which is at the intersection of the long and short side of the "L"). The shorter side has the shower, door (entry to the closet) and then big empty space. There is another door right across the tub where there is entry door to the toilet. Now I would like to put a second sink and vanity at the end of the short end of the "L" shape. It is originally built by Brighten homes and the model is Callaway. I am thinking plumbing will be expensive as the sheet rock may need to be removed to connect the sink plumbing to the toilet plumbing. Any ideas. I did look at the build.com. I dont think they have anything related to my situation. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,699,525 times
You really need a contractor to look at this. Most likely your sink is not made anymore. I would try ebay and maybe the manufacture. Sinks are cheap though. You can get nice ones for 60 bucks at home depot. What is the counter top material? These are mostly little jobs. The materials are cheap save maybe a counter top. It also depends on the the contractor. Contractors usually 2-3x what it should charge. I guess we all have to make a living. If you can manage to get all the subs yourself it will save you a ton. Go find some on angieslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston