Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM

17 posts, read 31,455 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, sorry in advance for another moving to Houston thread. My questions have not really been answered by reading the other threads so here I go. I want to know what kind of jobs one can get that are not oil or gas related or medical for that matter?

I recently graduated form a big ten school this summer and studied economics and international studies. My work experience has been as a brand ambassador for the past 5 years and i have had internships doing clerical work.

I currently work in sales in Chicago but it's not working out because I get paid only by commission and the cost of living to quality of life leave more to be desired. Im 23 years old and have chosen to move to Houston mainly because I am originally from Texas, grew up in the valley, my parents live there and my brother lives in Houston in other words I will be very close to my family. I am a pretty independent person but Houston will be a city that helps me transition from college to my professional career a lot easier than anywhere in the Midwest. I have become so accustomed to seasons and the Midwest in general but Im willing to deal with the weather change for COL although I will miss the urban-ness of Chicago.

Before anyone tells me to just google it or go on to indeed I will let you know I already have. I just want to hear what Houstonians advice would be. So what can I expect to work in based on my experience and degree in a city like Houston where most jobs are dominated by the medical, and G&O industry? What would someone with an Econ degree do in the G&O industry if I chose that route? I'm thinking about getting into the banking industry or real estate but any advice is still appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM

660 posts, read 1,617,409 times
lol at gas and oil

Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,772,200 times
It's typically referred to as Oil and Gas as opposed to Gas and Oil.

You may be able to get into a supply position in the oil and gas market but not sure. If you have sales experience I would look into commercial insurance as opposed to real estate. P&C producers can make some serious money. It will be comission based but some agencies will allow you a "draw" until you get going. Success does not come overnight or woithout much rejection, but once established you can do well.
If you have sales in you my guess is you would know by now. I didn't, but do well as an engineer in Gas and Oil

Old 10-22-2013, 03:30 PM

I don't mind sales I have had really great times in sales but its never consistent, it just seems like to much of a gamble to go 100% commission at least for me because I don't have much to survive on. A base salary plus commission would be perfect my other options would be going blue collar in "oil and gas" damn it sounds weird now....thanks guys lol

Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 PM

392 posts, read 999,156 times
:d

Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxspartan View Post
Hey everyone, sorry in advance for another moving to Houston thread. My questions have not really been answered by reading the other threads so here I go. I want to know what kind of jobs one can get that are not oil or gas related or medical for that matter?

I recently graduated form a big ten school this summer and studied economics and international studies. My work experience has been as a brand ambassador for the past 5 years and i have had internships doing clerical work.

I currently work in sales in Chicago but it's not working out because I get paid only by commission and the cost of living to quality of life leave more to be desired. Im 23 years old and have chosen to move to Houston mainly because I am originally from Texas, grew up in the valley, my parents live there and my brother lives in Houston in other words I will be very close to my family. I am a pretty independent person but Houston will be a city that helps me transition from college to my professional career a lot easier than anywhere in the Midwest. I have become so accustomed to seasons and the Midwest in general but Im willing to deal with the weather change for COL although I will miss the urban-ness of Chicago.

Before anyone tells me to just google it or go on to indeed I will let you know I already have. I just want to hear what Houstonians advice would be. So what can I expect to work in based on my experience and degree in a city like Houston where most jobs are dominated by the medical, and G&O industry? What would someone with an Econ degree do in the G&O industry if I chose that route? I'm thinking about getting into the banking industry or real estate but any advice is still appreciated. Thanks in advance!
There is a solid but small banking sector here but it is mostly tied to energy. There is energy trading in Houston too. Real Estate is pretty good too as is construction even though it's still recovering.

Oil and Gas is tough to break into, I mean it's the star industry like entertainment is to LA and Wall Street is to NYC. It's best to know someone or have a engineering degree or experience. With your sales gigs and an Econ degree you could have an option at the tons of vendors that do business with O&G firms.

Logistics, supply chain management is also another good field. I was almost hired at a major overseas shipping company but turned it down to move to LA. They're a good field too.

Basically you have your pick. Houston is business run city and business is booming. Any sector you choose will be doing something for you to excel in.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 AM

98 posts, read 204,370 times
If you want to get in the O/G industry and have an Econ degree and a background in sales, my advice would be to get your MBA or Law Degree and try to get an internship either as a Landman, or Midstream Contract Negotiator, or work in Oil and Gas Law, something like that. Once you get an internship, it will be easier to find employment. I will warn you that it is very competitive. It's a great place to be, in my opinion (I am a Landman).

If that doesnt work for you, then i would try to get a sales job with a service company that sells equipment. My friend that was in medical device sales does that now and he loves it.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Energy Trading sounds very interesting I will look more in to that too. An MBA would be something ideal in the future for me but not right now....I literally just received my BA in mid August 2013, I would have to pay some of it off before going back too school. My brother as well as many of my uncles work in the O&G but doing the blue collar stuff, I believe they are mostly electricians apprentice's, they tell me it's not very hard to get into working with THEM doing what they do and they are still making 6 figures a year...I am considering doing that for starters...maybe not even mentioning any of my degree's in my applications (to not be overqualified if they happen to care about that) then once I'm with the company and see positions come up that I may be better suited for I would apply to those. Would anyone consider this not advisable?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM

366 posts, read 797,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeenp View Post
If you want to get in the O/G industry and have an Econ degree and a background in sales, my advice would be to get your MBA or Law Degree and try to get an internship either as a Landman, or Midstream Contract Negotiator, or work in Oil and Gas Law, something like that. Once you get an internship, it will be easier to find employment. I will warn you that it is very competitive. It's a great place to be, in my opinion (I am a Landman).

If that doesnt work for you, then i would try to get a sales job with a service company that sells equipment. My friend that was in medical device sales does that now and he loves it.
I'd go with the MBA and highly recommend not getting a law degree.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM

An MBA is actually a long term goal of mine but not right after getting a BA, I need experience first at least that is what I have been advised numerous times and I think it is good advice. Once I'm in Houston in January of 2014 I'll know for myself and based on my networking a lot of the high profile Brand Ambassador's form the Midwest have relocated to the Houston area too. A brand ambassador is essentially a mix of sales and marketing and generally takes place at special events...it's kind of a hip and fun job but not very professional imo. My back up plan is getting brand ambassador gigs while I establish myself since most are not 9-5 but event based..(alot of driving :/). I am just trying to get as much information as possible before I make the move since I am a very impatient person and don't like being not busy. Im really interested in getting my feet wet in the energy trading, im researching on it right now lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston