Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Never do business with anyone that uses Christian in their business name.

Amen. And never do business with anyone who says "God Bless" or uses the fish symbol in advertising. I may be a Christian but I'm not gullible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,249 times
What was the problem to warrant replacing pads and rotors?

Quote:
They changed the rear brakes pads and rotors and charged me $420 after discount. I googled this online and found the rotors are sold in autozone for about half the price they charged for them.
What did they charge you for just the rotors? Your post is very confusing. Of course comparing just rotors over the counter is going to be alot less than a full-meal-deal swap.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:44 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,314 times
Cost sounds about right. You are always going to pay more for parts when you go to a repair shop than if you bought the parts yourself. And they are one of the more honesty and trustworthy places I've found around here. Lots of positive reviews on various web sites compared to a lot of the other places.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM

157 posts, read 325,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
hello,

I just had a problem with my car and as we are new in houston and my husband was out of town, so I took the car to christian brothers automotive. They changed the rear brakes pads and rotors and charged me $420 after discount. I googled this online and found the rotors are sold in autozone for about half the price they charged for them.
If you were able to remove 5 lugs and 2 bolts, you could've take those to rotors to O'Reilly and they'd resurface them for $16-20 a piece. Most likely you could've kept your old pads in the calipers and broken them back in again after some hard driving. Rear pads last forever.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Never do business with anyone that uses Christian in their business name.
Yup. "Christian Lawyers"...an oxymoron.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Haggis View Post
If you were able to remove 5 lugs and 2 bolts, you could've take those to rotors to O'Reilly and they'd resurface them for $16-20 a piece. Most likely you could've kept your old pads in the calipers and broken them back in again after some hard driving. Rear pads last forever.
Depending on the condition of the rotors and how thick they would be after resurfacing, there is the possibility they can't be used. Had my brakes done at a Christian Brothers a few years ago and they were able to resurface them, replacement was never mentioned

Old 11-22-2013, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Christian Brothers uses top quality parts and stands behind their work. I wouldn't go anywhere else. Brakes are a very importantant part of your vehicle and could in some cases mean life of death. I would never use some shade tree mechanic to work on my car and take the chance of being killed or stranded. The parts at AutoZone that you called on might not even be the same quality part that Christian Brothers used. Its like going to Lowes and buying a John Deere riding lawn mower VS going to John Deere. The mowers at Lowes are made with cheaper quality parts and engines than the ones at John Deere. They break down quicker. Always remember you get what you pay for!!!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 AM

498 posts, read 837,839 times
$200 to $400 seems to be about average. I've never heard anyone complain about the quality of work from Christian Brothers. You have to ask yourself what it's worth to know your vehicle works correctly in an emergency situation.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:20 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhfi12 View Post
Christian Brothers uses top quality parts and stands behind their work. I wouldn't go anywhere else. Brakes are a very importantant part of your vehicle and could in some cases mean life of death. I would never use some shade tree mechanic to work on my car and take the chance of being killed or stranded. The parts at AutoZone that you called on might not even be the same quality part that Christian Brothers used. Its like going to Lowes and buying a John Deere riding lawn mower VS going to John Deere. The mowers at Lowes are made with cheaper quality parts and engines than the ones at John Deere. They break down quicker. Always remember you get what you pay for!!!

LOL come on. They all source their parts from a common place. I race my cars with parts from Autozone and none of them fall apart like you describe.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
LOL come on. They all source their parts from a common place. I race my cars with parts from Autozone and none of them fall apart like you describe.
ALL parts do not come from the same place and there IS a difference in quality. Autozone has varying quality of brands of parts by itself. But unless you actually know what is being used, then yes, it would be hard to say Christian Brothers parts are better than Autozone since there could be several brands involved.

Most repair shows do get their parts from local parts stores though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston