Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 29,349 times

Advertisements

We are look at some homes in Katy tx area and saw David Weekely and Perry's we liked. Can anyone comment on each build quality?

Additionally I saw on one of the spec sheets for Perry, Level 1 ceramic flooor tiles on 1st floor kitchen and living room. They said they use high quality high traffic tile and their level 1 is different than tile grading system. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
Both builders could be using the same crew to construct the homes.

Look at both builders frame stage and determine which one looks better to you. The quality could potentially be the same.

Also stress to the construction manager that the quality and cleanliness is important when he/she asks you what's important during the construction. Tell them you want the site to be cleaned every day.

The debris leftover a day or two could cause slight blemishes/damage to the foundation/garage floor.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:13 AM

234 posts, read 424,670 times
I have a Perry Home that is almost two years old and I'll say my previous Legend Home was built better. For a "top builder" I expected more. I even had three home inspections on top of "their inspections". Here are my list of issues from ground up. All repairs were corrected, thank god for Perry's 2 year "bumper to bumper" warranty.

1. During the framing process, they didn't install volutes on the stairs after we told them that didn't look like the volutes we ordered. The construction manager said.."oh ya, I see it on your spec list, it will be installed". Two weeks later, no volutes. They had to redo the stairs and the entry door way to accommodate spacing for the volutes. Now the drywall around the door looks warped and like sh*t.

2. They forgot to install the water line to the refrigerator, how Perry and my inspectors missed that?

3. Lazy work on the paint job. They painted over the air filter covers, smoke alarms, light switches, some piping...all because they were to lazy to take them off or cover them.

4. Two small trees replaced within a year and a half, both died. They wouldn't cover the second one that died and to find out they no longer use those trees that died on the other homes in our neighborhood.

5. Shower door replaced and fixed four times! They finally figured out the wall was not leveled. They had to rip apart the tile, dry wall and take out/reinstall everything...POS!

6. Grading/drainage on the house redone.

7. A/C fixed several times due to inefficient cooling in several rooms.

At the end of the day, I am content with the home, for now. A lot depends on your construction manager. Our construction manager is no longer in the community...lucky me...

Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
My previous home of 10 years was a David Weekley home and it was fantastic. No major issues at all, and the build process was great. That said, it mostly comes down to the building supervisor more than anything. Two homes from the same builder with a supervisor that cares a lot vs one who is just getting a paycheck will be built very differently.

I cannot stress enough the importance of doing your own visits at least a couple of times a week to document the build and raise any concerns, as well as hiring an inspector to do pre-drywall and pre-close reports.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:54 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
We live in a Perry now, and used to live in a David Weekley. Both homes were/are fine. We had one issue with the Weekley with the water in the half bath that they fixed, and an issue with the water in our Perry that was also fixed. Have been happy with both homes.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 29,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
My previous home of 10 years was a David Weekley home and it was fantastic. No major issues at all, and the build process was great. That said, it mostly comes down to the building supervisor more than anything. Two homes from the same builder with a supervisor that cares a lot vs one who is just getting a paycheck will be built very differently.

I cannot stress enough the importance of doing your own visits at least a couple of times a week to document the build and raise any concerns, as well as hiring an inspector to do pre-drywall and pre-close reports.
Let me clarify these are inventory houses as we couldn't wait to inside. They are being completed in 5 weeks

Old 11-28-2018, 08:50 AM

234 posts, read 424,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentz View Post
Let me clarify these are inventory houses as we couldn't wait to inside. They are being completed in 5 weeks
Regardless if they are spec/inventory homes or dirt builds, getting an inspection and being your own advocate of checking things are important. My opinion, I would be more skeptical of an inventory home vs. a dirt build as you weren't there every week or every other day watching the home being built.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
We own a David Weekly Custom Classics home from 1990. Very pleased with the construction quality overall. The house was very overbuilt, with a pier foundation underneath the slab, and shows no signs of movement to this day. The quality and extensiveness of the interior trim is exquisite. Needless to say, mechanical systems have been replaced over the years (the house is on its second roof and third set of water heaters and HVAC systems), but these are normal wear items.

The one thing I'm surprised that they skimped on (given overall quality of the house) was using cheap single-pane windows. I guess this may have been a choice made by the original owner.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:44 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
I am not discounting these links, well done.

But IME every builder is going to have some unhappy customers, some deservedly (a generally good builder can employ a bad GC and/or or sub for a while), some not (unrealistic customer). I've seen bad reviews on David Weekley, but I can find glowing reviews without looking that hard too. The challenge in my view is putting bad reviews in perspective, knowing that unsolicited good reviews are going to be much less common. Unhappy customers are FAR more likely to spread the word than others. FWIW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston