Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Up with Lyft - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 01:14 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
Never work. Too many bad apples out there.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:28 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I googled it to find out how it works for the driver. Then you have to wonder how safety would work for the driver on the passengers they pick up.

How it works
Lyft is your friend with a car. Drivers are matched with passengers who request rides through the Lyft iPhone or Android app. Drivers are screened with DMV and background checks, and Lyft's platform has a first-of-its-kind $1M per occurrence excess liability insurance policy. Once a ride is complete, passengers are prompted to donate seamlessly through the app.

Requirements for driving

You must be at least 23 years old and have your own four-door car (2000 or newer) in good working condition. You must own an iPhone or Android in order to use the Lyft mobile app. We’re looking for friendly, community-oriented drivers who love meeting new people. In order to be approved, you must pass a phone screen, an in-person meeting and background & DMV record checks.

Protections for you and your passengers

$1,000,000 excess liability insurance: The Lyft platform provides drivers with excess liability insurance up to $1,000,000 per occurrence. This first-of-its-kind solution offers peace of mind to both drivers and passengers. Passenger ratings: Drivers rate passengers after every ride, and you’ll be able to see their rating before accepting a pick up. Every passenger also signs up for Lyft using Facebook and provides valid credit card information for identity purposes.
The approval process

We try to contact everyone within one business day of applying, and the orientation process takes 1-2 weeks. You’ll be out on the road and driving in no time!

Receiving money

Community drivers get 80% of the total donations received from passengers. Money is deposited into your account each week.

Choosing hours

You choose when you want to drive within Lyft’s operating hours — it’s entirely up to you.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I googled it to find out how it works for the driver. Then you have to wonder how safety would work for the driver on the passengers they pick up.

How it works
Lyft is your friend with a car. Drivers are matched with passengers who request rides through the Lyft iPhone or Android app. Drivers are screened with DMV and background checks, and Lyft's platform has a first-of-its-kind $1M per occurrence excess liability insurance policy. Once a ride is complete, passengers are prompted to donate seamlessly through the app.

Requirements for driving

You must be at least 23 years old and have your own four-door car (2000 or newer) in good working condition. You must own an iPhone or Android in order to use the Lyft mobile app. We’re looking for friendly, community-oriented drivers who love meeting new people. In order to be approved, you must pass a phone screen, an in-person meeting and background & DMV record checks.

Protections for you and your passengers

$1,000,000 excess liability insurance: The Lyft platform provides drivers with excess liability insurance up to $1,000,000 per occurrence. This first-of-its-kind solution offers peace of mind to both drivers and passengers. Passenger ratings: Drivers rate passengers after every ride, and you’ll be able to see their rating before accepting a pick up. Every passenger also signs up for Lyft using Facebook and provides valid credit card information for identity purposes.
The approval process

We try to contact everyone within one business day of applying, and the orientation process takes 1-2 weeks. You’ll be out on the road and driving in no time!

Receiving money

Community drivers get 80% of the total donations received from passengers. Money is deposited into your account each week.

Choosing hours

You choose when you want to drive within Lyft’s operating hours — it’s entirely up to you.
If they do all that, why do they need those silly mustaches? If they don't put those mustaches on their cars how will the city ever know who they are ?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
So they will pick up riders in the 3rd and 5th wards?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Ted Bundy could have passed the intial screening too...

Old 12-24-2013, 02:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
i think this is a great idea. i just hope its as great as it seems. i never heard of this until i saw a post someone made on facebook. i even signed up to possibly be a driver. i think its geared towards a certain demographic, sort of how airbnb and megabus is. this will weed out certain people as you need a valid credit card and a smart phone.

im definitely interested and look forward to using it. of course, my opinion may change if i use it and the drivers are a little shady, rides are more costly than a taxi, or if i have to go to ghetto areas lol.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
I actually applied and been in talks with them for the past couple weeks. They are still in preliminary stages; they don't have a timetable for when they will start from what I was told.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:40 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,344 times
This would make sense if your were coming or going in the same direction. Or to use the HOV.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
This is a San Francisco staple--much like Uber. It's seems a bit more casual than Uber, though.

Drivers here are all great. I believe they now have a minimum charge, based on the mileage, whereas before it was completely donation-discretion of the rider. However, if you were a constant cheapo, you'd get blacklisted on the system and no one would ever pick you up.

All in all its a good service. People in SF use these services as much or more than cabs. Rates are comparable to a cab or slightly less (cabs are expensive in SF, though), but the drivers are friendlier and it's convenient to pay with just your phone--no cash or credit card changes hands.

Uber is more polished. LYFT is the hipster version. There's another one that's also trying to compete here, but I can't remember their name. Not sure how this will work in Houston. It seems like it will be harder to have as many drivers working such a compact area, as is the case in SF. If I ever need a LYFT car, the app here can spot one within a few blocks. In Houston, I'd bet on longer wait times, with fewer drivers spread over a larger area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: