Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 01:02 AM

22 posts, read 29,777 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I’m from St. Louis, and I’m trying to get an idea of what area I want to live in when I move to Houston. I’m going to visit, obviously; but because of the massive size of the area, I want to narrow down my search. I can find work in all three counties, (trust me) so I’m not worried about commute. I’m more looking for the right feeling area.

I really love palm trees, and I enjoy the tropical vibe. My dream is to live on one of those waterfront subdivisions with all the huge palm trees, with the little docks in the backyard. I’ve seen pictures of them in Lake Conroe, The Woodlands, Katy, Sugarland, and League City. The water, and the palm trees are my dream.

I’d be interested in the area that has a lot of palms, and has a real upscale vibe. Maintained streets, and updated shops. I don’t like old, and run down. That’s why Galveston Beach isn’t my #1 pick already; it just looks kinda old and touristy.

I’d also prefer to live somewhere more suburban, that isn’t too crowded. I prefer to be a little bit more on the rural side, rather than closer to the big city. I also prefer some space in between my neighbor and I, but I know homes are much closer together in Houston; so I might just have to deal with that.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:27 AM

62 posts, read 63,338 times
Not sure if any palm trees but check out Towne Lake:

https://townelaketexas.com/

What is your budget?

Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
I live in Galveston County, but I'm looking to move to Montgomery or Walker County later on. I'm not real familiar with Fort Bend, but Sugar Land is excellent there. I'm not so sure about waterfront property, however.

League City ticks most of your check boxes. There are plenty of neighborhoods with waterfront property along FM 2094 / Marina Bay Drive. There is at least one neighborhood with homes that run into a million. The stores are mostly big box stores and a lot of chains. But there is a small historic district lined by towering oak trees that the city plans to develop more into a pedestrian area. It isn't upscale, but it is pretty right now, and should only get better. https://www.leaguecity.com/2760/Down...zation-Efforts

On the flip side, League City is not rural. It is growing fast, and expected to reach 200,000 by 2040. So while it is pretty and a lot of it is new, I am planning to leave due to a bit of crowding.
https://communityimpact.com/clear-la...halfway-point/

The Woodlands is beautiful, and probably the best the Houston metro has to offer in terms of your criteria.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
Not sure if any palm trees but check out Towne Lake:

https://townelaketexas.com/

What is your budget?
That looks amazing! Cypress is in Harris County, correct?

Our budget is roughly 400-500k; Depending on taxes. On realtor, I use the little tool to calculate payments and I would prefer to be under 2000$ a month with 200k down. Most of the time, that works out to be about 450k with taxes.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I live in Galveston County, but I'm looking to move to Montgomery or Walker County later on. I'm not real familiar with Fort Bend, but Sugar Land is excellent there. I'm not so sure about waterfront property, however.

League City ticks most of your check boxes. There are plenty of neighborhoods with waterfront property along FM 2094 / Marina Bay Drive. There is at least one neighborhood with homes that run into a million. The stores are mostly big box stores and a lot of chains. But there is a small historic district lined by towering oak trees that the city plans to develop more into a pedestrian area. It isn't upscale, but it is pretty right now, and should only get better. https://www.leaguecity.com/2760/Down...zation-Efforts

On the flip side, League City is not rural. It is growing fast, and expected to reach 200,000 by 2040. So while it is pretty and a lot of it is new, I am planning to leave due to a bit of crowding.
https://communityimpact.com/clear-la...halfway-point/

The Woodlands is beautiful, and probably the best the Houston metro has to offer in terms of your criteria.
I’ve heard good things about The Woodlands. I also like how conservative Montgomery County is. I’m not a super political person, but I’m a very avid about 2A rights. Conservative counties seem to have more security for gun owners, IMO; but I haven’t been to Texas in awhile, so idk how that works out there!

Old 01-12-2021, 04:38 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderClassic View Post
..I really love palm trees, and I enjoy the tropical vibe. My dream is to live on one of those waterfront subdivisions with all the huge palm trees, with the little docks in the backyard. I’ve seen pictures of them in Lake Conroe, The Woodlands, Katy, Sugarland, and League City. The water, and the palm trees are my dream.
In general, you aren't going to find the tropical vibe anywhere other than the coast, Galveston, and Galveston Bay. I wouldn't waste time with The Woodlands, Katy, and Sugar Land. Not familiar enough with Lake Conroe, but that's going to be a freshwater spot quite a distance from the coast, so less tropical. Sure, there will be exceptions, as you've maybe seen. But don't let those get you carried away.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
In general, you aren't going to find the tropical vibe anywhere other than the coast, Galveston, and Galveston Bay. I wouldn't waste time with The Woodlands, Katy, and Sugar Land. Not familiar enough with Lake Conroe, but that's going to be a freshwater spot quite a distance from the coast, so less tropical. Sure, there will be exceptions, as you've maybe seen. But don't let those get you carried away.
Galveston County seems cool. League City looks like it has a lot of palms.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
Galveston will get hit with hurricanes coming up from the Gulf of Mexico,not a good place to live but to visit,
I live in Richmond 1093 and 1464,1093 leads into Westheimer Rd and you can find everything there,restaurants,supermarkets,theatres,wmt,tgt,hd ,lowe etc.
houses are cheaper,around 200k-300k ,property tax ?lower than HOuston,DOWNTOWN Richmond is different,it is a small town,where I am at is really an extension of Houston.
Sugarland ,it is called sugarland because it floods and the land is used to grow sugarcanes,they need a lot of water.
Lots of nice houses there,
If you can come up with a few hundred thousand more,look into River Oaks,HOuston

Old 01-13-2021, 06:42 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I agree with this and as someone who lives in the Clear Lake area, I will say that you do get the "coastal living" feel in Clear Lake Shores, Kemah and Seabrook. OP, your budget will not get you waterfront in this area, but it will potentially get you water views and close proximity to the Bay and even if you don't have a dock, you will have ample options for a slip at many marinas.

That said, the big issue in this area of town is flooding and wind and hail damage from a tropical system, something that's not as much an issue with the lake areas you're considering, and that has to be a risk you're willing to accept.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I agree with this and as someone who lives in the Clear Lake area, I will say that you do get the "coastal living" feel in Clear Lake Shores, Kemah and Seabrook. OP, your budget will not get you waterfront in this area, but it will potentially get you water views and close proximity to the Bay and even if you don't have a dock, you will have ample options for a slip at many marinas.

That said, the big issue in this area of town is flooding and wind and hail damage from a tropical system, something that's not as much an issue with the lake areas you're considering, and that has to be a risk you're willing to accept.
Sure, I understand that. It just comes with living by the coast. I guess I can’t really narrow it down without going there after all!

I found a place called Windermere Lakes that is exactly what I’m looking for. http://windermerelakes.net/

I’d live in Destin FL if I could, but I’d rather have a little slice of tropical and live in an upscale area that pays me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston