Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,892,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I think a lot of the opinions depend upon whose eyes the opinion is coming from. I'm a native houstonian and crime has had a big spike and become more random and more violent starting in about 2008. It is not the same houston and I don't feel as safe and carefree about where I go as I did a few years ago. So the decline in that sense saddens me. For me, I see the change and it's there. For others who haven't seen the evolution, they may see it totally different and the same thing for those comparing it to other cities they've lived in that may hAve already had a higher crime rate.
I started noticing the decline around 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 02:50 PM

693 posts, read 1,111,933 times
Here is another excellent resource: 2013 Houston Murder Map. It is pretty plain to see that you have a decent chance of getting killed if you're hanging out on the southwest side or any place between the Third Ward and Sunnyside. All in all, not too surprising. The other usual dangerous spots exist, as do the outliers in the random suburb murders.

If you don't do anything stupid and avoid places you really don't belong, you usually won't get killed.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,705,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't disagree, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as Pedro was making it seem. It'll become even less true as people continue to move intown and gentrify some of these areas that currently look more run down.
That actually somewhat supports that generally, at least in Houston, the worse a place looks, the higher the crime. As the areas "gentrify" and look less "run down", those areas will probably see a reduction in crime.

Poverty and Crime: Breaking a Vicious Cycle of Discrimination

Quote:
It appears that in fact, poverty itself is more tied with violence, criminal damage and also drug use - as a catalyst for violence.
Generally speaking, areas with greater poverty tend to look more "scary" than upscale areas.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,241,382 times
This must be weird for those that live near the Houston/Sugar Land borders - to know you can cross the street and go from one of the safest to one of the most dangerous cities - and vice versa. Must be some sort of invisible shield there.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,936,909 times
I know Houston has potential... the city can't just waste away as being crime ridden. An advanced and mighty metropolis like Houston shouldn't allow such crime to happen so much. Whatever the city can do to reduce the crime, and make itself posh and futuristic, I'm all for it.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 PM

18,158 posts, read 25,392,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Either way, "scary" is relative.
I'm scared to drive up I-59

Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,895,004 times
Most all cities are dangerous to some extent. Here in Austin, we have a low murder rate, but other violent crimes are high, and property crimes are horrendous. Even the best areas of the city have home invasions and frequent burglaries. If people use common sense they'll be OK.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 AM

270 posts, read 479,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I find this to be more the case for Houston, and it's also a very good basis for a lot of the socio-political culture here. Since we have more options here as a city with car culture, the "nice" areas are more spread out and as a result location becomes less important.

The area I lived in Boston (02130), Jamaica Plain has some areas that LOOK relatively scary, but they're just old urban, art student, transient areas -- bohemian, if you will -- people who are simply looking for cheap rent in an expensive city. Since Houston is relatively inexpensive, people can afford a nicer place, and that's why people move here -- we have an indoor culture. The house is your temple. It's sort of how in NYC, someone might take a really disgusting apartment downtown for the location and be there literally only to sleep rather than a nicer place uptown that's cheaper. Not to mention the city seems to be full of interior designers -- I've seen some impressive spaces in not so great locales. A lot more difficult to judge a book by its cover.

Also, remember that the TYPE of crimes that are very important. Granted no one would want to be a victim of any crime, but I think most of us would choose our life over our iPhone.
Agreed. Jamaica Plain may as well have been Chestnut Hill or Newton as opposed to Dorchester,Mattapan or Roxbury. I grew up in Mattapan and when I left had moved over to Dorchester.

I will say Boston is a great example of how commuter rail stretching into the burbs is not always the boogie man. Myself and those I grew up with knew of Waltham,Chestnut Hill, Brookline,Attleboro, Weymouth and numerous places around Boston, but we were just as scared to travel to the suburbs as suburbanites were to Mattapan or Roxbury LOL

When you mentioned location all I can think of is apartment ads....."Great location close to the T !!!!"

Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 AM

270 posts, read 479,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7
I think a lot of the opinions depend upon whose eyes the opinion is coming from. I'm a native houstonian and crime has had a big spike and become more random and more violent starting in about 2008. It is not the same houston and I don't feel as safe and carefree about where I go as I did a few years ago. So the decline in that sense saddens me. For me, I see the change and it's there. For others who haven't seen the evolution, they may see it totally different and the same thing for those comparing it to other cities they've lived in that may hAve already had a higher crime rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I started noticing the decline around 2006.

I'm not a native Houstonian,but I agree. 2000,2001 FM1960 west of 45.......a lot different now.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 AM

433 posts, read 662,569 times
We should of never let the Katrina refugees come here. That messed everything up for a while maybe even did some permanent damage. I think most of them went back or were stupid enough to think you can actually commit murders here and be let go free like in N.O. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston