Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM

360 posts, read 665,316 times

Advertisements

As far as I know, there are only five of these gyms in the Houston area. If you're a member, please let me know what you think and if it has worked for you. The idea behind the gym seems pretty cool to me (I love tech-based anything) but the price ($89/mo/person) in my opinion is pretty high. That would be even higher than Lifetime Fitness. Please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I think the key to most gyms is going to them. Unless you want to be where you can grunt loudly, drop weights after your set, and not towel off equipment. That requires a certain gym. Most of Koko's facilities seem to be in the burbs, except for the shop in the Heights, so it may not be great for grunting.

I would look to see if your employer helps sponsor memberships somewhere. I got a significant discount to Timberline Fitness in Montrose a few years back.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks! Unfortunately, my employer doesn't do any sponsorships. :-( Koko uses some type of computer training which is why I'm inquiring. But you're right about actually going on a regular basis - that's the first step, lol.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,371 times
I was a member of Lifetime for two years and rarely used it -- too crowded, too much of a social scene, and just not the kind of atmosphere I enjoy when working out. My husband and teenagers enjoyed it, though. A month ago I signed up with Koko Fit and I love it. It's small, very clean, quiet, and there is always someone available to help you; at least that's been my experience at the one in Katy. Although the workouts are tailored to each person, you can also work out at your own pace if you want. I didn't think the $89 a month was unreasonable, but admittedly I don't have a lot to compare it with. Bottom line for me is that I actually enjoy going to Koko and feel great after a workout.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 PM

Thanks for your response! Quick question, has the tailored workout and nutrition plan worked for you? Do you have better results than when you worked out at Lifetime on your own? I'm trying to justify the price to hubby. 24 hour fitness is about $40 per person plus they now tack on an extra charge for the kids center. I was a member for years and the babysitting was always included, now it's not. So that adds about another $25 to the bill. That's about $105 for the entire family but it's still only a few dollars more than a one person membership at Koko. I'm thinking about trying Koko because of the "tailored" tech approach. I just don't want to fall for any hype.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,371 times
To be honest, I've only been going for one month and so far I haven't been following the nutrition plan (my bad). I don't know if you'd get better results from Koko than you do from Lifetime. For me, it wasn't a question of which had better results; it was a question of finding a gym I'd enjoy going to. Koko won that one hands down. I haven't been going to Koko enough to really know what my results will be, but I will say that I feel much better after working out at Koko than I ever did at Lifetime. Perhaps that's because I'm working out efficiently, thanks to the computerized plans.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:42 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
I have a coworker who goes to a Kokofit club and loves it. The appealing thing about Kokofit is that you don't have to think about what to do, your computerized program will tell you what exercises to do and keeps track of your progress. It is cheaper than a personal trainer (which is about $70 a session at 24 hr fitness). I go to 24 hr but was contemplating doing a few months at Kokofit just for a change of pace.

I do not like that you are stuck in a contract with Kokofit. They do have a 3 month option at about $300, plus the $150 or so for the fob that contains your programming.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
To be honest, I've only been going for one month and so far I haven't been following the nutrition plan (my bad). I don't know if you'd get better results from Koko than you do from Lifetime. For me, it wasn't a question of which had better results; it was a question of finding a gym I'd enjoy going to. Koko won that one hands down. I haven't been going to Koko enough to really know what my results will be, but I will say that I feel much better after working out at Koko than I ever did at Lifetime. Perhaps that's because I'm working out efficiently, thanks to the computerized plans.
Thanks! I'm thinking the computerized plans might help me too.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,079 times
I've been a member for about a month also. You should stop by for a visit to see what its all about. I did that and they scheduled me for a free workout session. The trainer walks you through the workout showing you how to use the equipment. I think I was there for over an hour. After that, you can decide if you want to join. There are no TVs and I find doing cardio boring because I like to listen to upbeat music and they have a MP3 player that you use for the cardio part. The cardio programs are on the MP3 player and tell you what to do on the treadmill or elliptical machine.

Years ago I worked out at a specialized gym where they had a trainer work with you 5 days a week for 30 minutes. They also gave me a specific diet to follow for weight loss. I wouldn't say that Koko Fit has a nutrition plan per se.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,993 times
I have been going to Koko for 2 weeks now. I got the $79 dollars trial with trainers for one month 3 x a week.Even thought I will not be able to continue after the trial because of the price, I can not afford it. I really enjoy it, The staff is just incredible, friendly and professionals. It is really working for me. I wished I could afford it and continue, that is life! However I would like to congratulate Koko Club for their trainers Art, Amber and Jeal, they really make the difference in working out. They are exceptional. Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: