Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM

57 posts, read 178,846 times

Advertisements

We found a nice neighborhood in friendswood( autumn lakes)and the builder is Brighton homes. Opening new section up soon and we are planning on building a house with them. I can't find a lot of reviews on them except on BBB. You only find the bad reviews and I understand that you have bad reviews with every builder but I hope someone will tell me the good things about them.

Our previous house which will be on the market next week, we built with westin and the have a lot of bad reviews but our house turned out awesome. So let me know what y'all think about Brighton.
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
rhn

53 posts, read 120,369 times
Hi there,

We built a Brighton Home about two years ago and have been satisfied with the quality.

I credit this to our build manager though, as the builder company doesnt have much of an impact. The build manager works for the company, but his contractors dont. Each build manager uses a different set of contractors, so having a good build manager with good contractors is key. If you hire a good independent build inspector, you should be covered if you dont know what to look for.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 AM

675 posts, read 1,454,131 times
We built a Brighton home back in 2005, we sold 8 years later and when the inspector for the buyers came in, he said that he was impressed on how well built the house was. Apparently the contractors used thicker beams of wood than were required which meant that the house was structurally really well built. We never had any problems with the house and would buy from Brighton in the future. We bought in the "mid 100's" and sold for "mid-200's" out in South Katy. Best wishes on your home building process.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,615 times
I'd read this and ask for clarification. My husband is an inspector, so I was particularly interested in it. This was in the news today (it could be a couple of days old, but I'm just now seeing it today).

Builder cancels contract days before family closes on home | abc13.com

Old 02-23-2014, 03:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
The roof thing in that news story is exactly what happened to my friend in pearland during hurricane Ike. Faulty roofing by Brighton caused catastrophic roof failure during the storm. Her house was totaled. Insurance and builder argued for months over who should pay. It was a mess.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,190 times
Never mind.

Last edited by pnc66; 02-27-2014 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: erroneously posted about a different builder

Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 PM

79 posts, read 302,212 times
I built with them and I have no complaints. With that said it really depends on how good your construction manager is. It won't hurt if you to the construction site often and let your construction manager of your concerns so he can address them. Get an inspector as well.

I personally went every other day to check on my house and called out everything I did not like.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:59 PM

243 posts, read 800,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljabali View Post
I built with them and I have no complaints. With that said it really depends on how good your construction manager is. It won't hurt if you to the construction site often and let your construction manager of your concerns so he can address them. Get an inspector as well.

I personally went every other day to check on my house and called out everything I did not like.

that is a good idea to check yourself but that doesn't make these builders comply with code. even I, an electrical contractors who is up to speed with electrical code, had problems with my builder, Ashton woods. their response was that they have agreed to follow the code up to 2006 and nothing more. they said they have not adopted the recent code changes. this is why we need to have permits no matter where the work is done. just because you are in the county doesn't mean you should have to tolerate an installation of any kind that is not code compliant, mainly 2014 code!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:50 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Brighton is ok, it's a "bang for your buck" builder. I do remember them having a lot of issues in Silver Ranch, but the superintendent in question is no longer there.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:24 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,922 times
The parent company is K. Hovnanian. Brighton is a big box builder. Nothing wrong with that business model...they sell a lot of homes. Dollar per sq.ft. builder - that is their thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: