Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM

43 posts, read 152,845 times

Advertisements

We live in Oak Forest (zoned to Stevens, not Oak Forest elementary) in a small, charming, older, renovated home and are considering relocating. Our next door neighbors are relocating out of state and sold their home for $100K more than they paid for it 1.5 years ago (the only upgrade they did was add gutters). This has me curious as to what we could get for our house. Our taxes have increased since we have been here, so I wonder how much longer it will be before it will get out of control.

We are likely going to send our son to St. Jerome Catholic School in Spring Branch. Ideally we would like to take our equity and sink it into a new house and have a lower payment. That being said, max budget I would like to maintain at $325K, which I realize will be a challenge.

I was recently turned on to Lakes on Eldridge. I like that the homes are not so old and the perks of a gated community are nice. We are a family of 3, so I don't want a huge house. 2500 sf, give or take, will suit us just fine. I would not mind doing a bit of updating, preferably cosmetic in nature. Our son is an only child, so I would like a family friendly neighborhood for him. Prefer yard, not patio home. The hospital I work for has purchased a plot of land at i-10 and Hwy 6 for a regional care center, so that is also part of why LOE was appealing to me, as I could possibly transfer there in the future.

We work in the Med Center and Galleria area, so I don't want anything much further than LOE. Are there any other neighborhoods to consider that are near St. Jerome, like a pocket Spring Branch neighborhood that is a bit off the radar? As we will likely do private school, zoning is not an issue, but we don't want a crazy commute either. We once looked at Katy/Fulshear, but decided that was too far, as gas and tollway fees would add too much to monthly expenses. We look forward to the advice you have to offer! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,976 times
Spring branch would be the ideal location for where you guys work and for the school. Just look around, lots of great homes. Ingeneral, south of Westview is very desirable, but there are other pockets. THeres a gated community I believe, maybe called Afton Woods or something like that, although you may be priced out of that. Also chck out Westwick, in zip 77043, north of IH10xKirkwood.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Spring Shadows. You'll have good appeciation there.

LOE is a weird situation. Isolated and a highly transiant population. Values stay pretty flat.

Shadow Wood and Spring Branch Estates have some enormous lots, well over an acre. I wish I had grabbed up a few before that area started taking off.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times
Your house probably has little value, but the land it sits on does. Spring Branch will run way more than 325K. I am not sure if what you want exists over there. I don't know if I would move if I were you. Oak Forest will probably still go up in price. Though not being zoned to Oak Forest Elementary hurts. I guess I don't understand why you would leave from one of the hottest areas in Houston to go out to a bland area like Eldridge.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,026 times
Your needless concerns about property taxes getting "out of control" will be unfound.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:45 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,569 times
I think you should call a Realtor who knows your area really well. They will be able to help you figure out what your home could sell for and then where a good place to move to would be based on your needs. Ask neighbors and friends for recommendations if you don't know any good ones.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM

122 posts, read 223,123 times
I wouldn't leave and area that is appreaciating at the rate you describe. I know several families who live in LOE; nice gated community but surrounded by bad schools and low-end commercial properties. Even though you can afford private school currently, you never know what the future holds. An illness or layoff can damgage your finances and force you to send your kid to public school. The school your house is zoned to had better be acceptable or you'll find yourself in a difficult situation.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,291,606 times
Stay put...you will wish you had. I regret leaving garden Oaks years ago. My little house would be worth 5x what we paid for it.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 AM

43 posts, read 152,845 times
Thank you for the advice. I think Spring Branch may suit us well. I think LOE may not be the best place for us after all.

Spring Shadows does look nice on HAR; I like that many streets appear to be cul-de-sacs. Shadow Wood and Spring Branch Estates looks great also, but could possibly be out of our price range. I have been directed toward Royal Oaks as well, which I also liked. Looks like a nice, quiet, well-maintained community. I know the area has changed quite a bit, and it looks like the prices are going up.

kfer, selling this house and buying something in SB area would allow us to live a bit more comfortably should, Heaven forbid, we have to live on one income. It is part of the reason we are even thinking of this.

westres, I am struggling a bit with leaving this community, as the people are quite nice. As are the homes. I suppose the longer we stay, the more it will appreciate.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
I wouldn't leave GO right now, Its a pretty desired area from what I hear.

I'd talk to a realtor. You are not obligated to use them, and they have better tools to give you estimates on costs/schools etc.

Most Realtors have small houses next to their screen names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston