Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,662 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to Galveston with my family in a months time. We are still on the lookout for apartment there.
However, eventually we would like to move west of Galveston. Any suggestions on good family type areas, within a 30 min radius west of Galveston? How are areaslike santa fe, texas city, league city?
Few things I am looking for in particular.

1. Safety, low crime rate
2. Good schools
3. Good amenities- parks, shops, restaurants

Would like to get your point of view.

Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Schools in Galveston are terrible
Crime is pretty low in most parts
Overall I think it is a great place to live

Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 AM

455 posts, read 771,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmenonnair View Post
Hello,

I am moving to Galveston with my family in a months time. We are still on the lookout for apartment there.
However, eventually we would like to move west of Galveston. Any suggestions on good family type areas, within a 30 min radius west of Galveston? How are areaslike santa fe, texas city, league city?

2. Good schools

Galveston is definitely an interesting place and there are several beautiful areas on the island. It's definitely lots of fun for a visit or even to spend a entire weekend.

Public schools in Galveston for the most part perform very poorly, the violent crime in Galveston is higher than the violent crime rate in TX by 48.35% and the property crime in Galveston is also higher than the property crime rate in Texas by 50.6%. Galveston seems to attract a large number of homeless people and sketchy gangster types who roam the city on weekends and after the sun sets. Galveston has 149 registered sex offenders living there as of March 2014, so make sure your kids are walked home after school or take the bus and get dropped off in front of your residence after school.

League City is definitely your best option in Galveston County, especially when considering factors like education, safety, amenities, housing options, location, and overall quality of life. Clear Lake / Nassau Bay, a few miles north of League City, just within Harris county are also nice areas to call home.

I would cross SantaFe, Dickinson, and Texas City off your list - not worth it.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM

131 posts, read 153,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmenonnair View Post
Hello,

2. Good schools

I can tell you about Texas city. A pretty crappy city with many trashy people (I go there all the time!)
There are some good people there though. The schools in both galveston and texas city are terrible. I went to friendswood HS, and they are head and shoulders above any of the areas (League City, Santa Fe, Texas City, etc.) schools.

Why Galveston if I may ask?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
I looking for housing while attending UTMB in Galveston for graduate work. Heard to stay away from Ferry and Church area due to bums hanging around. Possible breaking into cars etc. at night. Anyone have any ideas for one person two bedroom house or apartment in quiet, low crime area close enough to walk to campus? Condos on east end are somewhat pricey and the walk appears (per goggle earth) not to be walker-friendly.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
Galveston is definitely an interesting place and there are several beautiful areas on the island. It's definitely lots of fun for a visit or even to spend a entire weekend.

I would cross SantaFe, Dickinson, and Texas City off your list - not worth it.
I wouldn't eliminate Dickinson. The area west of the Gulf Freeway is teeming with new amenities. It all sort if flows into League City, so you really can't tell exactly which city you're in. It's all booming.
Texas City even has the Outlet Mall & a huge new Buc-ee's is fixing to open.
The only areas I'd probably not recommend are some of the dumpy areas of Santa Fe, Bacliff, San Leon, & LaMarque. But even those areas are starting to improve.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Agree with everyone above. Galveston has some nice areas, but they are way overshadowed by the sketchy ones. They started a commuter bus service in League City to Galveston because more people who worked on the island moved to other parts of the county so they wouldn't be in Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston