Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
That's the best looking granite. That looks so pretty. I know it comes in various shades but any variation of that smokey gray should be standard. The imperfections look perfect. Like why you can drive in a gray car that's months dirty. It's the color of dirt!
We love it. Some pieces have a lot of black, and others a lot of white. There is also a lot of sparkly mica in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the builder got a special deal on this and hoped that the OP either wouldn't say anything or that the builder has been relatively successful in bullying buyers into taking such issues.
Builders don't work that way. They have a bid, they get the stuff. Simple as that. No normal builder intentionally buys cheap-*ss defective crap just to save a buck and screw a buyer. They make plenty money just being builders, and word would spread if they tried that.

However, they do often defend debatable material in an attempt to keep the construction moving along. Just keep pressing your case; they WILL give in.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:46 PM

211 posts, read 289,836 times
Aside from the horrible center island, what do you guys think about the rest of the kitchen counters granite?

We think this is just as defective as the island.
Attached Thumbnails
New home, horrible granite slab-img_20140314_124255.jpg   New home, horrible granite slab-img_20140314_125301.jpg  

Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM

203 posts, read 337,491 times
That is just pure terrible quality control on the granite company. I've worked in the granite business before and when ever we would see a slab like that, we would cut around the ugliest spot if the piece allowed for it. If not, we would get a new slab.

Anyhow, have them swap that out because is just pure ugly.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:41 PM

196 posts, read 419,918 times
Another tip would be to inspect the backsplash tiles for mold. I used a similar backsplash material in tumbled marble, and I found a few pieces that had slight mold specs. Once I determined it was mold, I hand picked each tile at the store. It was tough to see at first because it kinda blended in with the appearance of the tile. It was the same 3 x 6 tile size too.

Personally I not like the granite material your builder/installer selected. The blotchy part doesn't look quite right, too drastic and look burnt or something spilled.

What I found after looking around, is the only granite I really liked was the upper tier high price stuff. In the end I found a clearance sale on Ceasarstone engineered quartz that fit within my budget.

Are you doing under cabinet lights? Soft or mild ambient under cabinet lights are awesome.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:45 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFeedsTheSoul View Post
Aside from the horrible center island, what do you guys think about the rest of the kitchen counters granite?

Good jiminy crickets - that vendor should be run out on a rail.

I saw your earlier post with the island. I have an island almost the exact same design and size, one single sheet of granite, no seam.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,685 times
I don't like those counters either. Again, what were they thinking? Have you talked to anyone yet?

And, I took a closer look at our island today. We have no seam...just one large piece of granite. The seam is in such a strange place on your island.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Did you actually pick out your slab? The last time we had granite installed, we picked out the slab we wanted and I KNOW that what I picked out was what was installed. There were a few small sections that I didn't like which I pointed out. Those areas did not make fabrication.

Some "mottling" (for lack of a better/correct word) definitely adds character especially if you like movement in your granite but those huge dark areas detract from the rest of the granite, IMO. Look at it as if it was a giant piece of upholstery with large scorch marks. IMO, that's what the granite looks like. It may be naturally occurring but those dark splotches just aren't aesthetically pleasing. I doubt you would ever upholster a couch in fabric that had what looked like defects.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
Dang, that's why I like Caesarstone for more sleek uniformity.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
I have a huge island. It so large, I have to clean it with a mop handle. It took two slabs, and I have one seam. I have Star Beach granite, and it too has a lot of flow, but they seamed mine perfectly, and both pieces mirror each other.

I couldn't have asked for a better job. Yours would never have flown with me. I too would demand that it be replaced.

The seam of my granite is directly down the center of this photo. You can't even see it.
It looks great and the flow gives it character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFeedsTheSoul View Post

If I were to have seen that a number of years back, I would have asked how you burned your counter top and added that I didn't know you could burn them.

No way would I accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston