Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimplea View Post
is the blended / bonded leather stuff from Bel Furniture is good and reliable?
Blended/bonded "leather" is shredded leather fibers mixed with a vinyl-like plastic. No matter what the salespeople or ads say, it does not feel or wear like genuine leather does.

What I hate is furniture that has genuine leather on the seating areas and "bonded" leather on the sides and back. After using it for awhile, the difference in materials becomes obvious.

Good leather furniture seems overpriced, given the vast number of cowhides that are a byproduct of meat processing in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 04:43 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimplea View Post
is the blended / bonded leather stuff from Bel Furniture is good and reliable?
We bought an orange, yes bright orange, orange juice orange, leather sofa/lounge for our game room about 8 years ago from BEL. I'm pretty sure it is leather on the visible sides and seating surfaces and a lesser quality "leather" on the sides/back. It has been a very durable piece of furniture even with all of our kids playing on it over the years. My wife wanted to move it to our den, except for the fact it is orange! I ended up buying her a chocolate brown sofa from Macy's that is probably about the same quality.

Like anything, you just have to look at the quality and see how it compares to others. I haven't been back there in probably 4 years, so I don't know how their current stock compares.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
If by best value, you mean good quality furniture, with style and at competitive prices, then the answer is Star. If you get on their email list, they send out discount offers every few weeks of between 15-20% off of your entire order. With a 20% discount, Star's prices become extremely competitive, assuming that good quality and a modicum of style is also a priority for you.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
I didn't think Gallery Furniture has any good value, especially the last time I saw him have two Ferraris in the store, invested $10 million in a Chuck Norris movie flop, and poor advertising bets. Instead of getting hounded by the sales peoples, I prefer first-class service and furniture from Bassett.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:54 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I think gallery is sort of high priced and sales just aren't all that. What ever happened to Hilton furniture, is that guy still around? Never went in there so count vouch for quality. My former neighbors loved Hilton.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,902 times
Hilton got his start selling returned mattresses. Plus his decision making getting into the WNBA when all the real owners were dying to get out? Have to question his decision making capabilities.

Mac is a hustler, one of the most hard working men alive. I respect the heck out of him. Never have spent a dime there. Just never found as good deal. He sells the value of 1. financing poor people 2. servicing with great delivery. Ill wait a week for 20% off or more.

Ive had great luck at the Star on I10 out towards barker cypress. Bought several couches there. "clearance section" there is a great way to find a deal. Im sure he's passed away by now, but there was a top sales guy there named Siki Lotzoff, something like that. Cut from the same cloth as Mac, just a good hard working salesman.

Id put the quality there above rooms to go, and certainly Ashley.

Bassett is amazing quality for a premium. They sell the value of custom made. I can appreciate that a little more, but Ive still never pulled the trigger.

Many stores, star included are selling Yuan Tai, and crownmark furniture nowadays. Its nice looking, but cheaply made import stuff. It will hold up reasonably well, but you better know what you're getting. Its easy to cross shop. Get the model name, and search craigslist. You can buy the same thing in a box from Gallery/Star, etc, or save 35% or more buying it from some no name dealer in a strip center.

I did that with my breakfast set. Saw it at Star, noticed crownmark. Found it at Texas Furniture Hut on 290 for hundreds less.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:54 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
If I were buying case goods, I'd go to a very good consignment store. Upholstery shops should be able to build you the exact sofa or chair you want.

I had a sofa recovered and another one built exactly like it. The price for both was great.

Furniture stores who give free financing mark that stuff up so much, it is crazy. Last time I went mattress shopping I asked if they gave a discount for cash. Rooms To Go said no. I walked out. Carrying a note for 3 years is not cheap. Somebody is paying for it. They told me what a wonderful service it was, and it was my choice to pay cash. The factoring guys must love furniture stores.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:00 PM

16 posts, read 26,390 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and say World Market. Solid wood, good quality, reasonable prices.

As seen on HGTV!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:14 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,180 times
Katy furniture is the real deal...great prices...good selection...probably the best bang for your buck...

also, Noahs manufacturing on Navigation is a spot where they make the furniture and you can go there and purchase direct from them before gallery, star, ashley, rooms2go and everyone else puts a markup on it.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM

804 posts, read 1,076,040 times
gallery furniture? I got a good laugh out of that. If anyone thinks mac sells quality for a good price must come see my ocean front property in dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston