Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM

370 posts, read 613,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
You can try Hebert's Specialty Meats on Richmond Ave nearly at the West Loop.

I believe the meat market Oildog is referring to is B&W Meat Market on North Shepherd. They have Boudin and just about everything else you could ever want. Be warned: This place is very popular. If you go to B&W on a long weekend or holiday, be prepared to wait! Enjoy, it is worth it.

I'll check out Herbert's, I've always seen it never stopped by.

B&W looks good. Thanks for the recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
Ew, Ragin Cajun shouldn't even be considered Cajun food. Seriously, it's awful. Just another bad restaurant chain.

I would suggest Burt's Meat Market. It's not in the best area but there boudin rice and sausage is amazing. Google it, they have a website.
Yeah I agree, theres alot of hole in the walls literally 10x better. I remember there being a place by UH in third ward that had cajun food on weekends.(in between 288 and UH) I just know it was in third ward and I just can't remember the name of it. It was so long ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Burt's

Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON79 View Post
Pyburns on 13824 Almeda (just inside the beltway) makes their own Boudin.
+1 on Pyburns. Love their boudin balls.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
there's a pyburn's off Fondren that do the same

Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,520 times
I personally don't like the high ratio of rice to meat in Texas boudin. I find it worth the price to order 4 boxes at a time from Don's (Scott, La). Although, I usually don't have to because I bring an ice chest every time I go to Lousisiana and on the way back bring back plenty from either Don's or Best Stop.

Boudin Link - Cajun Food Reviews in South Louisiana

Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,249 times
Keyan, to clarify B&W is outside the loop but only about 5 minutes going north on Shepherd. Still very much worth checking out.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If you go a little east of the loop, you'll get to a place called Louisiana that does it far better than you'll find over here.

Hebert's or Burt's is probably about the best you can do if my suggestion can't be worked into your schedule.
If you like the high rice ratio noted below head to the Golden Triangle (Port Arthur). Also at our local HEB there's a small section with a bunch of pre-packaged boudain from that region. Haven't tried it yet.

BTW last time I got some at Burt's it smelled like roadkill after <48 hrs in the refrigerator.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Where is the best place to get Boudin sausage inside the 610 loop? So far I know of Ragin Cajun over on richmond, are there any other places? Thanks

Also what is your favorite Cajun restaurant in Houston?
I can't wait to taste this Boudin that everyone is so in love with. I'm from Florida, Jax area, and I've never heard of a Boudin. I'm moving to Houston in a couple weeks and the first thing I plan to eat is a Boudin. Thanks Keyan for the thread...lol

Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM

360 posts, read 665,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
I'll check out Herbert's, I've always seen it never stopped by.

B&W looks good. Thanks for the recommendation

Yeah I agree, theres alot of hole in the walls literally 10x better. I remember there being a place by UH in third ward that had cajun food on weekends.(in between 288 and UH) I just know it was in third ward and I just can't remember the name of it. It was so long ago
Darn, I can usually remember hole in the walls in 3rd Ward, lol... but I can't help you out this time. You could always drive two hours and go get something in Louisiana. I know someone mentioned that in another post and it seemed tongue in cheek, but it really is an easy drive. I go to LA to visit family all the time, I'd go just to get boudain too, lol.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM

370 posts, read 613,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Keyan, to clarify B&W is outside the loop but only about 5 minutes going north on Shepherd. Still very much worth checking out.
Thanks for the heads up, I will stop by this weekend.. hopefully showing up at 8am won't have hectic lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyp View Post
I can't wait to taste this Boudin that everyone is so in love with. I'm from Florida, Jax area, and I've never heard of a Boudin. I'm moving to Houston in a couple weeks and the first thing I plan to eat is a Boudin. Thanks Keyan for the thread...lol
Anytime! I love this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
Darn, I can usually remember hole in the walls in 3rd Ward, lol... but I can't help you out this time. You could always drive two hours and go get something in Louisiana. I know someone mentioned that in another post and it seemed tongue in cheek, but it really is an easy drive. I go to LA to visit family all the time, I'd go just to get boudain too, lol.
Thanks buddy, I just can't figure out what the name of the place was either! They had both the LSU mascot and UH cougar emblems right where you order. So far there are some decent places here though.

------

Reviews:

Yesterday I picked up two frozen links from Herbert's. The Boudin was better than I expected. I give it an 7.5/10.

I hit up Burt's today in fifth ward for the first time, really cool hole in the wall. I hit up their cafe, ordered 3 links mild, Beef tips and Rice and Gumbo. I actually really liked their Beef tips and rice.. It was good. Boudin was good too. I think I should of got spicy. I picked up 3 pounds of their Seafood Boudin that has a mixture of crab/fish and another 3 Lbs of the mild Cajun. Great place, haven't been to fifth ward in years. Looks like a shady place because of the area, but they have decent foods and the cafe line had 20-25 people lined up to the door. Don't judge a book by it's cover and try it.

I give it a Boudin rating of 8/10

I will check out more places and give you guys ratings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston