Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 AM

498 posts, read 838,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's against the law almost everywhere in the US to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Bikes are required to use the streets. It would take legislative action to change this.
There is nothing in the Texas Transportation Code that bans bicycles from using sidewalks. In the City of Houston, only within "business districts" can you not ride on the sidewalk:

http://www.bikehouston.org/resources...cle-ordinance/

Last edited by gsmj; 04-25-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 11:40 AM

433 posts, read 661,335 times
People get tickets in Houston for riding on sidewalks.....

Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,136,890 times
Quote:
[I'm not taking a side in this debate, simply answering this question]

It's against the law almost everywhere in the US to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Bikes are required to use the streets. It would take legislative action to change this.
And its fairly standard in other countries, but why force a slow moving soft target into fast moving steel projectile? Wouldn't it make more sense to force the slow moving soft target in with the even slower moving soft targets (pedestrians)? What am I missing?

Doesn't it make more sense (and save more money) to alter sidewalks to accomodate cyclists a la Terry Hershey Park ? That system works very well there while the so called bike lane on Kirkwood is a joke.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I have posted on this board several times about how Houston should be spending more money now on things like public transportation and bike lanes. I've said many times that we need to start seriously investing now. My argument has been that as Houston density increases, there is not enough room to expand roads inside the loop any further. I've said that as property values continue to grow, there will be less parking. In order for Houston to be a competitive city and a city people are drawn to, we need to understand that our core cannot remain car centric.

Is there any particular point you are opposed? If so, why?
Jerbear was being sarcastic, no?

Old 04-25-2014, 12:29 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,151,751 times
Quote:
[I'm not taking a side in this debate, simply answering this question]

Yup. This was repeated numerous times, and I mean numerous times in our previous Houston cycling thread discussions. May not be the most convenient but it is a common law in a majority of places.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,151,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
And its fairly standard in other countries, but why force a slow moving soft target into fast moving steel projectile? Wouldn't it make more sense to force the slow moving soft target in with the even slower moving soft targets (pedestrians)? What am I missing?

Doesn't it make more sense (and save more money) to alter sidewalks to accomodate cyclists a la Terry Hershey Park ? That system works very well there while the so called bike lane on Kirkwood is a joke.
Having a bike line on the sidewalk makes a lot of sense, and relatively speaking, they aren't used often. However, if anyone has seen the state of our sidewalks, I think most people would agree that they're even worse than our roads because in many cases they are not level or don't even exist. To retrofit the city for this may not cost the city as much as bike lane but it would not be cheap as there would have to be a lot of new infrastructure built.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,727 times
I know this cyclist and ride with him a lot. His methods may not appeal to everyone, but at least he's getting something done in the name of cycling safety on Houston roads. He also speaks at city council often on behalf of cyclists.

The huge speakers he carts behind him are awesome. He rides the social rides with 'the boom' and it becomes a party atmosphere as we ride through the city. I believe the cart with the speakers weighs well over 250 pounds. Of course he's also a cat 2 racer.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I know this cyclist and ride with him a lot. His methods may not appeal to everyone, but at least he's getting something done in the name of cycling safety on Houston roads. He also speaks at city council often on behalf of cyclists
His methods are counter productive to the cause. P*ssing everyone off does not help anything.

He was riding down Memorial drive a couple of days ago, an entire section of that road is being rebuild from property line to property line, sidewalks and all. What a great time to install bike/pedestian friendly sidewalks instead of bleating on about the right to put soft tissue in front of 5000lbs of metal travelling at 45mph.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM

498 posts, read 838,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post

Because a bike lane only costs labor and white paint. Houston addresses bicycle commuting about as seriously as it does commuter rail.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,456,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, no city is built or designed for bikes
Yes that is true however I live in an area that was transformed into allowing the bikes to ride on the streets with the cars. It causes more traffic nuances than not. The attitude of many of the bikers is obnoxious and unappreciative of cars. It is much easier for them to get out of the way or brake than it is for a car but they don't seem to get that or care to get it. It is as if to taunt and annoy the car drivers.

I personally would never ride my bike on these bike "friendly" busy streets here. It is not worth the stress of wondering when I will be clipped by a car. There is a beautiful mountain that they take over on the weekends and the street winding through this mountain is not wide enough to accommodate the bike and the car. Every summer a few will be clipped.

There is no good solution to the car and bike sharing the same street. It is a nuisance and a danger. I am a bicyclists who rides 16 miles every time I take my bike out for exercising. I never ride on the main streets. I find back roads since I hate the stress of not knowing when I am about to be clipped. I personally don't like riding on a busy street with zooming cars even if there is a bike lane.

Cars don't like the motorcyclists or the bicyclists. Motorcyclists don't like the cars. Bicyclists don't like the cars or people walking. People walking don't like the cars, the motorcycles or the bicyclists.

Reality is that you will never find a happy medium among all the players.

Streets were built for cars and street motorcycles. Maybe in the future when it is time to rebuild the streets they will incorporate a walking lane and a bicycle lane with a concrete wall divider and all will be good again.

Last edited by TVC15; 04-25-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston