Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:26 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Taco Cabana isn't there anymore? What's in its place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 AM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That Westheimer/Montrose Blvd. intersection is pretty sad for what's supposed to be the focal point of Montrose.
That's going to change in a couple years. There are plans to demolish that strip center for new development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Montrose is an example of how "urbanity" and densification can screw up a great ITL neighborhood. The original Montrose model was suburban and urbanization will only screw it up. Maybe the new catch phrase in Montrose should be "Keep Montrose suburban" without the minivans of course....
Urbanity and densification is not necessarily the problem. It's just the people who are moving in. I won't even step foot inside Anvil.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
That's going to change in a couple years. There are plans to demolish that strip center for new development.

Urbanity and densification is not necessarily the problem. It's just the people who are moving in. I won't even step foot inside Anvil.
Urbanity and densification means more people will be moving in by definition. When you convert lots that used to contain 1 single family bungalow to a townhouse block with 6 units you have increased the densification 6 fold. With the latest trends in development in Houston especially ITL if Montrose wants to retain any of its old character it better deed restrict these development trends.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Urbanity and densification means more people will be moving in by definition. When you convert lots that used to contain 1 single family bungalow to a townhouse block with 6 units you have increased the densification 6 fold. With the latest trends in development in Houston especially ITL if Montrose wants to retain any of its old character it better deed restrict these development trends.
It's more about ratio though. If you had enough people coming in who identified with the Montrose lifestyle then enough of it's culture would be retained and potentially grow as the area densifies. The area wouldn't have a singular identity though considering all the new developments. Instead it seems most of the people who are moving in do not represent the character of the area at all.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
It's more about ratio though. If you had enough people coming in who identified with the Montrose lifestyle then enough of it's culture would be retained and potentially grow as the area densifies. The area wouldn't have a singular identity though considering all the new developments. Instead it seems most of the people who are moving in do not represent the character of the area at all.
OK got ya. You are saying Its the type of people moving in, I agree. Problem is you can't screen for types of people, that's called discrimination. What you can do is try to retain the aesthetic character of the area by deed restricting developments that will urbanize what is historically a suburban neighborhood. This will not stop change but it will give Montrose a better shot at retaining at least some of its quirky Bohemian character.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Yeah...just let hipsters and bisexuals rent in the area. They like older homes with window ac units. With all their disposable income new businesses are sure to prosper.

Another forum complained about the area losing lgbt identity, due to lifestyle acceptance. They liked the area better when it was cheaper, rougher on the edges and the lgbt community was 'at home'. I commented that's what folks in the 4th ward felt like as well. Maybe 2nd in the near future.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Yeah...just let hipsters and bisexuals rent in the area. They like older homes with window ac units. With all their disposable income new businesses are sure to prosper.

Another forum complained about the area losing lgbt identity, due to lifestyle acceptance. They liked the area better when it was cheaper, rougher on the edges and the lgbt community was 'at home'. I commented that's what folks in the 4th ward felt like as well. Maybe 2nd in the near future.
That's happening in all LGBT communities though. Here in LA younger, more working class gays resent the gentrified area of West Hollywood and the "A gays" that made it a rather bougie area. A lot of them moved to Silverlake or North Hollywood.

Is that happening to Montrose already? So fast?

Old 05-11-2014, 04:16 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Lots of gay people have moved out and gentrified other areas further from the city as montrose began to cost a million bucks for decent small house. That was a few years ago. I dont think montrose is bad and i love anvil. I do sometimes feel weird hanging back there, but ive never been mocked or told off for looking different or being gay. Im never the only one. If some douche did thatd be surprising. The place i wont go anymore is west alabama ice house

Old 05-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Montrose bars are quit good though. I had a lot of fun at F Bar, Boheme and Fairview Bar. I'm not gay but like the fact that you can party hard there. I'm a big house music guy and that area always has bumping music.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Smoothie King

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Taco Cabana isn't there anymore? What's in its place?
There is a Smoothie King there now. The place was originally a Two Pesos, then Taco Cabana, now Smoothie King.

Re JFRE81's comments, yes, the area is not what it once was. It is getting more, what's the word... 'Austinfied'? 'Just my observation.

Once all the leases are up where Domino's is, and Spec's, that shopping center will be torn down and some high rise apartments/condos will go in it's place. That is not speculation, that was announced sometime ago, somewhere as I recall. It will probably be shops on the lower floor/s, and living the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston