Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I recently graduated with my Masters in Social Work as well as my license to practice. I am currently in San Antonio and am really looking for new experiences and am looking for some general insight. I would like to remain in Texas and am asking these same questions in a few of the other Texas forums. My experiences lies with children and families and would love to continue on that path but am open to other areas (although hospital and geriatric or hospice social work are at the bottom). I am also bilingual.

As far as I am concerned, I am a 30 year single female who is relatively active. I run and do like to get out and about but nothing ever too wild.

I do have a few questions

1. Taking living and entertainment expenses into consideration what would you say is a comfortable salary for a Houstonian? In San Antonio, I'm thinking about 38k to be comfortable.

2. Are there any areas that I should avoid? Living? Working? I have been to Houston several times for mission trips, road trips for concerts and work related things and have a general idea of the good/bad. Working with the at-risk population I have a pretty high tolerance of tough areas. Traffic, though, may be a thing for me as I am used to driving 20 minutes to get anywhere in San Antonio. I know Houston traffic is an acquired taste.

3. Any particular agencies or organizations I should look in to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 02:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Social work in Texas while much needed seems like it would be low pay. Since Texas has a "we won't help you but we won't stand in your way of making money" kinda policy, the social system is lacking.

In Houston I would guess 40-45k for that field. Avoid the typical high crime areas like Fondren/Hilcroft off the 59 highway. The wards are good places to avoid and the north side is like the Wild West.

I would think you'd want to take advantage of Houston's big medical field. Lots of hospitals and chemical dependency centers and programs. Lots of non profits too. Plus the medical center area near the museums and Rice university is a really nice area to live in.

Now you can tell me about San Antonio because after living in big major cities I'm thinking about finally settling down in the hill country and Austin and SA are my two top choices.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. It gives me a bit more insight. I was aware of md Anderson as a choice and may look into that. This will be a low paying field but it was what I love to do. 😄 Feel free to stop my the SA forum to catch up about SA and the hill country, we would be glad to have you!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
The wards are not bad areas. Some espanol may help, but not required.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Hi everyone! I recently graduated with my Masters in Social Work as well as my license to practice. I am currently in San Antonio and am really looking for new experiences and am looking for some general insight. I would like to remain in Texas and am asking these same questions in a few of the other Texas forums. My experiences lies with children and families and would love to continue on that path but am open to other areas (although hospital and geriatric or hospice social work are at the bottom). I am also bilingual.

As far as I am concerned, I am a 30 year single female who is relatively active. I run and do like to get out and about but nothing ever too wild.

I do have a few questions

1. Taking living and entertainment expenses into consideration what would you say is a comfortable salary for a Houstonian? In San Antonio, I'm thinking about 38k to be comfortable.

38K is a very tight budget for Houston. You will need to get a roommate most likely or live in a bad complex. To be honest I think 50K is living slim. Rent starts about 1200 for an ok complex in the city. 1400-1500 for a nice one.

2. Are there any areas that I should avoid? Living? Working? I have been to Houston several times for mission trips, road trips for concerts and work related things and have a general idea of the good/bad. Working with the at-risk population I have a pretty high tolerance of tough areas. Traffic, though, may be a thing for me as I am used to driving 20 minutes to get anywhere in San Antonio. I know Houston traffic is an acquired taste.

There are bad areas in all cities. They are scattered throughout Houston. Traffic in Houston is not as bad as most think. Though Houston is a much larger city than SA. With no traffic at all it can take 40 minutes to get to some suburbs.

3. Any particular agencies or organizations I should look in to?

We have tons. Hit monster.com

Houston is a million times more fun than SA. You will really enjoy it.

And, many of the wards are very very bad areas.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
The wards are not bad areas. Some espanol may help, but not required.
They're bad. Not the worst areas in the city and some are gentrifying but they're not a walk in the park.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:53 PM

112 posts, read 200,095 times
I am an MSW/LCSW, and to get an idea of Social Work jobs available here, check out:
Job Board - University of Houston
Community Job Bank
For some jobs, like the local government, some hospitals, etc., you have to look at their direct sites, but this will give you an idea. Being bilingual is definitely a plus for most positions.
Best of luck!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post

38K is a very tight budget for Houston. You will need to get a roommate most likely or live in a bad complex. To be honest I think 50K is living slim. Rent starts about 1200 for an ok complex in the city. 1400-1500 for a nice one.

There are bad areas in all cities. They are scattered throughout Houston. Traffic in Houston is not as bad as most think. Though Houston is a much larger city than SA. With no traffic at all it can take 40 minutes to get to some suburbs.

We have tons. Hit monster.com

Houston is a million times more fun than SA. You will really enjoy it.

And, many of the wards are very very bad areas.
Thanks! As far as housing is that $1200 for like a small apartment that's not in a snazzy place like Montrose or is that the norm? That amount would buy me a house in San Antonio. Right n the ow I am in an area that kind of strattles suburban and urban and pay about $550. That's low in SA standards but is that $1000 the low for Houston? That might really put me out of range in the Houston area. And I agree about the 38k. That is just barely making it for me. Hopefully there is something in the high 40s that I can find to make it a bit more manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
They're bad. Not the worst areas in the city and some are gentrifying but they're not a walk in the park.
I feel the same way right now. The wards would be somewhere where I would like to work with the communities in that area but not live in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena2c View Post
I am an MSW/LCSW, and to get an idea of Social Work jobs available here, check out:
Job Board - University of Houston
Community Job Bank
For some jobs, like the local government, some hospitals, etc., you have to look at their direct sites, but this will give you an idea. Being bilingual is definitely a plus for most positions.
Best of luck!
Ahh. Thanks so much for that link. I will check it out.

I did see several positions within HISD does anyone have any insight into working with the district? I know the district is enourmous and I understand the ups and downs (I grew up in Northside in SA) but any opinions would be good.

Thank you all so much!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 PM

Go to Houston. You're young and can have a ton of fun as a young urban professional. Its practically the top city in the country for new grads.

Live the 40k millionaire life. Get a roomie in a rather nice place next to all the hot spots, go to the best bars and clubs, go shopping, eat out at would class places in the city. Just enjoy. I miss that about Houston. Don't pass it up. I've lived in Boston, went to NYC every other weekend and now live in LA. Neither of those cities can offer a recent grad the type of high life for a youngin. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have moved, I would've stayed in Houston and worked my way up.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Live the 40k millionaire life. Get a roomie in a rather nice place next to all the hot spots, go to the best bars and clubs, go shopping, eat out at would class places in the city. Just enjoy. I miss that about Houston. Don't pass it up. I've lived in Boston, went to NYC every other weekend and now live in LA. Neither of those cities can offer a recent grad the type of high life for a youngin. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have moved, I would've stayed in Houston and worked my way up.

That made me want to take a nap and I haven't left my couch. I'm more of a go out for a few drinks after work on Friday, go home and wake up early for a 6 plus mile run (although I know the humidity will be a thing) type of person. Shopping when I can afford it, eat out when I'm craving it and go to the concert when it fits in my schedule type of person. Although, I do know there are different areas for different types of life styles. Your response just made me laugh. Thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston