Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 04:26 PM

87 posts, read 148,983 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of buying my first home for several years now, and finally have enough saved up for a down payment. I want to spend $150k or less for a house that needs at most cosmetic changes. I want to stay as close to downtown as possible, but since I do most things on the west and NW sides of town, the East End is not practical for me at this time. Plus, I seem to be priced out of Eastwood and most East End areas, unless I want something falling over. Are there any decent neighborhoods that I should consider? I've looked toward Greater Inwood, but have seen postings regarding flooding and crime. I've looked as far as 290 & Beltway 8, and really don't want to go out farther than that. I just wonder if there are neighborhoods to look at, or if this is just a pipe dream. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by sbmccoy; 08-09-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:43 PM

87 posts, read 148,983 times
Oh, and I'm a early 30s healthcare professional with no kids. My partner and I are not planning on children anytime soon, so school districts are not priorities. And I'm looking for something stable and not looking to just flip the house and run.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 PM

814 posts, read 760,103 times
Look into the southwest area outside the loop. A town home or condo might suite your budget a little better. I'm sure you could probably find an older house. There are some newer homes in your price range but they're out in the suburbs.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:02 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,812 times
If you're looking as far as 290/BW8 then you could look at older neighborhoods like Rolling Fork. My in laws live there and it's within your budget and a fairly decent, yet older neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Inside the beltway north of 290 there is an older neighborhood named Rolling Fork with smaller and older homes, a couple in your price range. It is a pretty and peaceful neighborhood, well tended and leafy with mature trees. We live nearby and my kids used to swim on the Rolling Fork swim team and interestingly it is quite popular with the French teachers at my kids' school. I've found it to be a friendly community and think it's a hidden gem. Of course, I'm familiar with it so my perspective is biased but there are other inexpensive neighborhoods in the northwest similarly priced but that feel less well cared for and cohesive.

It may be further than you prefer but DH works downtown and thinks the commute inside the beltway isn't bad, plus there is a Park & Ride option at 290 and the beltway.

Best.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 PM
fnh

Ha! I see I cross-posted with Cbink. Good to see I'm not the only one that thinks Rolling Fork is a sweet value.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:41 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
Nice neighborhoods in the BW8/290 area (77064, 77064, 77040 zip) in the under $150K range are also in the Winchester neighborhoods, Windfern Forest, Jersey Village, Steeplechase, Harvest Bend (not the 2 br tiny house section) and a couple of the other areas around me. This is a good, pretty stable area. We've been in the area over 17 years and really like it. BTW, we "escaped" from Inwood North before moving to where we are now. It was decent back then, but was obviously going down so we moved for better public schools and a newer area. People will mention a horrible downtown commute, but depending on the time of day, it can be reasonable. Mine is ~30 min leaving between 8:30 and 9:00 and the same returning between 6:00 and 6:30. Move the times back 2-2-1/2 hours and the commute is about the same.

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-09-2014, 05:46 PM
fnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Nice neighborhoods in the BW8/290 area (77064, 77064, 77040 zip) in the under $150K range are also in the Winchester neighborhoods, Windfern Forest, Jersey Village, Steeplechase, Harvest Bend (not the 2 br tiny house section) and a couple of the other areas around me. This is a good, pretty stable area. We've been in the area over 17 years and really like it. BTW, we "escaped" from Inwood North before moving to where we are now. It was decent back then, but was obviously going down so we moved for better public schools and a newer area. People will mention a horrible downtown commute, but depending on the time of day, it can be reasonable. Mine is ~30 min leaving between 8:30 and 9:00 and the same returning between 6:00 and 6:30. Move the times back 2-2-1/2 hours and the commute is about the same.

Good luck in your search!

By the way, I can also recommend these neighborhoods that trbstang mentions, but they are a little bit further away - not much further but across the beltway.* These are NOT the neighborhoods that I was thinking of when I mentioned some are less tidy and cohesive, I was thinking of neighborhoods further east.

*Except for Windfern Forest, inside the beltway. Forgot about that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: