Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Lived in both cities and ATL has a better climate including more tolerable summers, though winters are colder with real chance of freezing precip and not just once every 10 years.
But no matter the Houston summers (and they are no joke for sure), I'd take H-Town climate over Chicagos winters.
Depends on what you like. I find Atlanta summers positively pleasant. But I prefer Houston weather the rest of the year.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:35 PM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Houston is great to make a lot of money (whether blue or white collar), pay reasonable prices for goods and services, have great food and raise a family.

Houston is terrible when it comes to landscape, outdoor activities and general big city problems (traffic, pollution, inconsiderate people, etc..).

Choose to live here or not depending on what of the above things are your priority. I think the article is showing us that humans will move to places to maximize their material wealth over other considerations. It's that simple.
Houston is great for outdoor activities. You can do it 12 months a year. Houston is a big city with big city problems, but it has far fewer inconsiderate people than just about any big city but Atlanta. As for traffic, its bad, but its not as bad as the rest of the top 10 (despite rankings-you really can get around in Houston, especially non-rush hour-not true in a lot of other major metros).

Ozone pollution is worse than anyplace but California, but on other pollutants, Houston is pretty clean relative to other big cities.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:48 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Atlanta has better weather by far.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
All the comments in that article are by nothing but pissed off people that its another city's turn to shine, especially one that's been shunned for years. In other words, haterz

Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
I find it hysterical that some the people bashing Houston were calling it a desert, and in the same post were calling it too humid. People who failed fourth grade geography are not to be taken seriously. Next...

Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM

82 posts, read 99,370 times
I agree with this article, that explains the expansion at IAH and HOU. The H-Town haters I think are teeming with jealousy, and Jealousy can lead to hate. This city is growing up fast.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 PM

112 posts, read 199,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I find it hysterical that some the people bashing Houston were calling it a desert, and in the same post were calling it too humid. People who failed fourth grade geography are not to be taken seriously. Next...
These people were probably reacting to some preconceived notion that they have of Houston and may not have even ever been here. I know when I moved down here I was picturing desert and cactus etc as all that I had seen of Texas was from Westerns, of course I was only 13 at the time, so I didn't have a lot to work with.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:48 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
I decided to read some of the comments and man some people really hate Houston
Nothing new, and most of it was based on outdated, old stereotypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I read through the comments about Houston and unfortunately a lot of them are true . A bit harsh but true.
Not really... especially about it being a desert with no culture.

Anyway, it used to bother me, but I don't really care much anymore. Enough people moving here as it is...

Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Houston is great for outdoor activities. You can do it 12 months a year. Houston is a big city with big city problems, but it has far fewer inconsiderate people than just about any big city but Atlanta. As for traffic, its bad, but its not as bad as the rest of the top 10 (despite rankings-you really can get around in Houston, especially non-rush hour-not true in a lot of other major metros).

Ozone pollution is worse than anyplace but California, but on other pollutants, Houston is pretty clean relative to other big cities.
Houston lacks real big city outdoor activities which is why I would hope the city further develops its public spaces. It's doing a good job but still has a long way to go to match the top other cities.

Houston is still for all the new renovations, a practical city. It's changing but its old practical outline is still there. I think if Houston continues the trend it will be world class and has the potential to be one of the best cities on earth. The haters need to accept that its coming up BUT the boosters need to bring it down a notch, Houston still isn't LA, NYC or SF.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would say Atlanta has similar weather. Where is the hate for Atalanta?
I find that the weather in New Orleans is most similar to ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston