Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
I find that the weather in New Orleans is most similar to ours.
Indeed.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,311,830 times
This is what I'm afraid of

Quote:
Houston may be on the rise, but it may well turn into Detroit in a few decades. Houston's prosperity like most TX hinges on Oil. With the shale, which is centered nowhere, and greater investment in better forms renewable energy, I think that oils influence will wane.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:46 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,265,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would say Atlanta has similar weather. Where is the hate for Atalanta?
Eh, they didn't make the list. If we find some articles from the mid 90's, I'm sure you'll find some Atlanta hate.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's just plain silly. Detroit ONLY had cars to spurn it's livelihood in the early 20th century. Folks who couldn't get jobs anywhere else were handed jobs from Detroit during the height of the automobile 'romantic period'. Under skilled people from across the nation clamored to get paid in Detroit, and eventually flooded Detroit from every corner of our country. The majority of the jobs were higher paying labor and union positions, which didn't require an education. Too many people, too little jobs, which eventually led to white flight in the 60's to present. Abandonment of homes and businesses, corrupted state.....Then, it busted.

In Texas, the majority of onshore oil jobs require a degree or some sort of education, certifications, etc.. the industry doesn't rely on unions. It relies on self-motivated individuals, and energy has a healthy selection of the most talented and educated people in the field, which is primarily every state in the country. We aren't in 1950 any longer....times have changed.

The only thing we have to worry about is what the high demand will do to our now affordable Texas market. We aren't the size of New York, but if we do ever get over crowded, I'm banking that I will be pushing daisies before any of us ever see it happen.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:20 AM

122 posts, read 159,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
That's just plain silly. Detroit ONLY had cars to spurn it's livelihood in the early 20th century. Folks who couldn't get jobs anywhere else were handed jobs from Detroit during the height of the automobile 'romantic period'. Under skilled people from across the nation clamored to get paid in Detroit, and eventually flooded Detroit from every corner of our country. The majority of the jobs were higher paying labor and union positions, which didn't require an education. Too many people, too little jobs, which eventually led to white flight in the 60's to present. Abandonment of homes and businesses, corrupted state.....Then, it busted.

In Texas, the majority of onshore oil jobs require a degree or some sort of education, certifications, etc.. the industry doesn't rely on unions. It relies on self-motivated individuals, and energy has a healthy selection of the most talented and educated people in the field, which is primarily every state in the country. We aren't in 1950 any longer....times have changed.

The only thing we have to worry about is what the high demand will do to our now affordable Texas market. We aren't the size of New York, but if we do ever get over crowded, I'm banking that I will be pushing daisies before any of us ever see it happen.
Something that seems to never be mentioned about Houston is the following. It is an unattractive city. It looks like hell! Also, everything is very sperad out and unless you live ITL, it is inconvenient to get from place to place.

People that are from L.A. and Chicago will move back in a heartbeat if Houston slides down a bit and L.A. and Chicago improve. L.A. and Chicago have more to offer.

Now, we can fix the situation. We can start mowing our boulevards, fixing our sidewalks, make a better effort to clean up downtown and make it more fun all while making everything more accessible with great public transportation. Sadly, this is Texas. Our voters and our politicians don't have this kind of a vision.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:34 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
Quote:
Unions and liberals policies killed Detroit.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,195,111 times
If history is any indication, this current boom due to O&G cannot and will not be sustained. It will eventually end, and then Houston will shrink (a bit) accordingly. Anyone who lived here through the 1980s remembers this. But, Houston has a wonderful ability to constantly reinvent itself and always look ahead and Houstonians will focus their considerable time and talents elsewhere when needed. For example: in the 1980s it focused on making the Health Care system go from good to great. The downside is there is no consideration for, or focus on, history in the town.

Moreover, as someone who moved away from Houston in 2001, I do have to say that I agree with some PP's who say Houston is, in fact, a fairly unattractive city with a higher than average amount of sprawl, lack of green space and generally does not present itself well to outsiders. Someone who comes to the city for a short period of time will likely not be immersed enough to realize how many things the city has to offer, and will come away with a poor impression.

I have also never found Houstonians, or Texans in general, to be particularly good at accepting any criticism, so I think that plays into the "hater" mentality to some degree.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,059,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
Something that seems to never be mentioned about Houston is the following. It is an unattractive city. It looks like hell!
Disagree... while there are unattractive areas, the city as a whole isn't. Looks much nicer than it did in the 80s/90s. Keep taking down billboards, adding new trees and parks.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:10 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
I find that the weather in New Orleans is most similar to ours.
Orlando too, which always seems to get love from people for having good weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Unions and liberals policies killed Detroit.
Or maybe just the decline and manufacturing and the automobile industry. Detroit was the true one trick pony town.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:19 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,509,668 times
Quote:
You do realize that Houston based companies are fracking all over the country. Most O&G companies are in Houston. Just because there's some shale in in Ohio, doesn't mean they will up and move to Ohio, as the next frack might be back in Corrizo Springs.

That said, it frees new companies to set up shop anywhere,they don't have to be in Texas. But with the tax advantages and experienced work force down here, most will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston