Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 03:39 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

http://blog.chorn.com/opportunityurb...the-chronicle/

Article discusses how "new urbanism" is serving the elites well, but not the middle class or poor. Houston with a less controlled growth is generating higher salaries adjusted for costs.

How to measure ‘living well’
The one statistic that best encompasses the success of the Houston opportunity model and exposes the weakness of smart growth is the cost-of-living adjusted average paycheck (see chart).
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Despite the assertions of New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, among others, that the Texas urban economy is based on low wages, Harris County’s average household income is above the national average; close to that of Boston. But once the cost of living is factored in, Houston does far better for its citizens compared to any of the legacy cities.
Houston, with Dallas-Fort Worth a strong second, is able to provide its citizens the highest standard of living, as measured by average annual adjusted wages, of any major metro area in America. This is different from subjective “quality of life,” but includes such basics as jobs, housing and overall cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 04:34 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
http://blog.chorn.com/opportunityurb...the-chronicle/

Article discusses how "new urbanism" is serving the elites well, but not the middle class or poor. Houston with a less controlled growth is generating higher salaries adjusted for costs.

How to measure ‘living well’
The one statistic that best encompasses the success of the Houston opportunity model and exposes the weakness of smart growth is the cost-of-living adjusted average paycheck (see chart).
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Despite the assertions of New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, among others, that the Texas urban economy is based on low wages, Harris County’s average household income is above the national average; close to that of Boston. But once the cost of living is factored in, Houston does far better for its citizens compared to any of the legacy cities.
Houston, with Dallas-Fort Worth a strong second, is able to provide its citizens the highest standard of living, as measured by average annual adjusted wages, of any major metro area in America. This is different from subjective “quality of life,” but includes such basics as jobs, housing and overall cost of living.
Excellent, thanks for posting !

P.S. You should post this in the Texas forum Houston vs Dallas thread....

Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
FYI my fellow Houstonians, this is where the "Houston is cheap" thing comes in -- not that that isn't changing, and rapidly (and it's not cheap compared to living in the middle of nowhere). When you look at how tightly people are living elsewhere, literally and figuratively, you see that we are quite a bargain. You know, we could all be 35+ and renting a closet with 2 experimental artists in the city.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 10-20-2014 at 04:56 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
This is the epitome of why people are moving here, including me.

One can make great wages, still afford a house in their 20's (that is actually relatively new, and in a decent neighborhood), and move up in their career quite fast.

Compare that to Portland, OR where I'd still be apartment hopping, paying more for gas/food/utilities and wouldn't be making half of what I do now. But damn it I do miss those mountains, hills and trees.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
FYI my fellow Houstonians, this is where the "Houston is cheap" thing comes in -- not that that isn't changing, and rapidly (and it's not cheap compared to living in the middle of nowhere). When you look at how tightly people are living elsewhere, literally and figuratively, you see that we are quite a bargain. You know, we could all be 35+ and renting a closet with 2 experimental artists in the city.
My old 1br off South Main that rented for $520/mo in 2007 is now going for $740. Old building (ca. 1970) that's certainly not better than it was before. This is mainly because some overpriced townhomes are across the road, along with some new apartments around the corner averaging about twice this old place. But, amenities? Yes, it's kind of close to TMC and Reliant, but as for anything else I had more within walking range in Texas City where the same apartment would be ~$500, and that same apartment in a comparable location here in Dayton (Ohio, not Texas) might be even less. I probably drove further to the grocery store all said. So, "middle of nowhere" is a relative term I suppose. For the same price inside the loop, you're closer to your roommate scenario. Maybe it'll be a proper room and not a closet.

Hm, Detroit's not looking too bad according to this chart. Maybe I'll go scout it out.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
It's ahead by a pretty good margin too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston