Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 AM

4 posts, read 13,462 times

Advertisements

Heya folks,
I'm looking for a decent apartment in Cypress, the most important thing is to find a place not farther than 10 or so miles from Cypress Woods High where one of my kids is currently attending. I've looked a bit on Move.com and several other sites and I guess the message I'm getting is there aren't many places to choose from in terms of apartments.

3 Bedrooms would be nice but I'll settle for 2 to save a little money, would also need a place that allows pets (have a little dog). A little help on ultilities would obviously be good too.

I know very little about the area so if any locals can suggest/recommend some places it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 AM

799 posts, read 3,692,818 times
Have you considered leasing a home? It may be easier to find.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,440 times
Try the Broadstone in Coles Crossing. You may also like the AMLI on Louetta off of 249 (across from the HP campus). There are others like the two on Huffmeister, whose names escape me.

IMO, If you are looking for a 3 BR, you really should consider leasing a townhome or a house.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 AM

A home would be easier to find but I don't think it'll be easier to afford as opposed to a renting an apartment. We're settling for 2 BR because most 3 BR options are out of our current budget.

So far I've found a few potential places just outside of the Cypress area (the goal is to be no farther than 11 miles from the High School).

I've checked out apartmentratings.com but I'm trying not to use it too much taking into consideration most comments seem to be fakes from management/competitors. I'm not expecting to find Xanadu in my price range but the site seems to be more of a place for complaints rather than positive reviews.

Obviously it always boils down to seeing the place yourself. At the moment it'd be much better we find a place that is no more than $1000 a month rent but even that is stretching it. The lower the better really but I understand in most cases you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the suggestions Mr.Football! I looked at the Broadstone and while it looked very nice it's a bit pricey for what I'm looking for. I didn't find a AMLI on Louetta though. Was one of the locations on Huffmeister, The Pinnacle by chance? this looks like a nice place but I can't find much info on it.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:26 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
There is the Windsor Cypress Apartments on Huffmeister near Cypress-North Houston.

I have no experience with any apartments around there, but you do have some options.

The Broadstone is off Barker Cypress north of 290. Keep in mind that 290 traffic is some of the worst in the Houston area, though as you get around Barker-Cypress it thins out. You didn't mention where you would be working, so keep that in mind if you have to commute into the city.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,440 times
FYI, there's also a new Broadstone opening up off Mueschke & 290 (though I'm not sure if they've started construction on it) which is located minutes from Cypress Woods HS and is located in its feeder zone.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
FYI, there's also a new Broadstone opening up off Mueschke & 290 (though I'm not sure if they've started construction on it) which is located minutes from Cypress Woods HS and is located in its feeder zone.
Broadstone Cypress is set to start in mid-October.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 PM

179 posts, read 858,186 times
There's some on Fleur De Lis off Huffmeister. near Bonaire I. There's some also on Cypress North Houston near Bonaire II.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, keep'em coming. Looking for a place I have noticed one thing, especially when looking up apartments on apartmentratings.com is that even in these nice areas apartments seem to be a flip of a coin in terms of safety/crime.

Realistically unless you are paying out the nose you can't expect an apartment complex to be paradise, theres always downsides and I accept that but I wonder how much of these negative comments are genuine and how many are exaggerations. I've lived in and hung around real bad apartments of all types and I never feared for my life, maybe because I'm not so quick to label folks who dress or talk a certain way.

I see the word "ghetto" get tossed around a lot in these reviews, I look at the pictures of the place and granted a picture can tell a lot of lies I still find it hard to consider these places a ghetto. I get the impression these comments are made just because theres hispanic or black residents around. It would be unfair to say all of these bad reviews are lies or exaggerations, again I don't live there so I honestly don't know.

I know a lot of folks here have houses, but I'm sure at some point you or someone you've known has lived in apartments in the area. Is there truth to these stories of drug deals, shoot outs, break-ins, robberies by gunpoint, etc. ? Is apartment life in NW Houston all a nightmare if you aren't spending over a thousand dollars on rent?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
You see "ghetto" in reviews because people are acting ''ghetto'' (e.g. lazy, igornant, trashy, loud, low-class, 40s & blunts in the parking lots, etc) regardless of what they look like. And for a 3/2 house or apartment, 1500ish sq ft, I wouldn't live anywhere in the Houston metro for less than about $1,000/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston