Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 07:56 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

Maersk Oil shedding U.S. jobs as Angola drilling plans stall - Fuel Fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Interesting article on the offshore drillers...more layoffs coming, onshore as well....Ensco, Transocean, Pacific Drilling...

Ensco Downsizes Again As Transocean & Pacific Drilling Talk Harsh Reality - Oilpro

Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
TransCanada says its cutting one-fifth of its senior management positions - Fuel Fix

At least some folks at the top are going as well...but it usually means not replacing those who 'retire'.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:31 AM

836 posts, read 774,372 times
Brutal layoff activity in our EPC firm. Out of the 8 people in our "pod" area, only 3 are left and one of those may not make it through next week. We had previously consolidated from 3 buildings to one and one floor of a second one.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM

213 posts, read 303,653 times
I heard one of the owners is sending out letters for next week. Reserve/exploration engineers

Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Maybe Conoco or Phillips (or both) may finally move what's left of Bartlesville non-essential admin staff to the Energy Corridor. Let the layoffs be from attrition from geographical constraints for good PR.
Conoco is retiring older staff with 25+ years, "take the package because it won't be there later" kinda thing.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,280 times
Hello. Can any of you comment on the status of the downstream side of things? I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and have been working as a water utility pipeline inspector since I graduated in 2014; so I am basically working out of my field because it was the only legit offer I received at the time. I have been entertaining the idea of moving to Houston to try to find an entry level position at one of the refineries down there to get my career headed in the right direction. Is this a fool's mission? Or it is the best idea ever... I would imagine that low oil prices would help the downstream side of things but I really don't know. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Old 10-12-2015, 01:12 PM

60 posts, read 68,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebones View Post
Hello. Can any of you comment on the status of the downstream side of things? I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and have been working as a water utility pipeline inspector since I graduated in 2014; so I am basically working out of my field because it was the only legit offer I received at the time. I have been entertaining the idea of moving to Houston to try to find an entry level position at one of the refineries down there to get my career headed in the right direction. Is this a fool's mission? Or it is the best idea ever... I would imagine that low oil prices would help the downstream side of things but I really don't know. Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Things are certainly no better now than when you graduated. And while refining is still doing well, integrated oil companies have cut back in refining given overall impact of oil prices on bottom line. Certainly, you will have a lot of competition for those jobs and working outside of the field isn't going to help you.

There is no reason to leave your current job and move to Houston to look for a new one. You can do the looking first. And, if you find a good match, then move. And, likely that company would pay (or at a min subsidize) your move.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebones View Post
Have you thought about alternative career paths? Something like Wall St finance or consulting? I know many banks and consulting firms will go out of their way to interview and hire engineering majors. They hire for technical expertise (although that generally is after you've accumulated expert knowledge through experience) or new graduates. If you have a degree from a strong school with a very good GPA, I'd think about that route. Those industries are doing better in general than the energy sector at the moment.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:06 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Not pretty out there:

The Egalitarian : The big oil problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston