Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:03 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Even when boundary zoned to Pin Oak MS, it's still very hard to get into. I think the acceptance rate is less than 7%. It's also a Language Magnet school which might not be desirable for some prospective students.
2/3 is boundary zone lottery and 1/3 magnet lottery open district wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:11 PM

914 posts, read 1,832,430 times
The latest on the West U zoning issue.
THURSDAY: WUES Attendance Issues Back on Agenda For HISD Board | InstantNewsWestU.com

Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 AM

57 posts, read 126,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
Wow! Thanks for passing that along. I know that I can't do anything yet, since I'm not a West U or Houston resident right now, but, um, if any of you want to join in on the letter writing campaign.... ;-)

Seriously, though, this is really stressing me out! Through a combination of very good luck, fortunate timing, and a terrific real estate broker, our signing date is now June 5. I'm going to be running around like a chicken that day trying to get the papers signed, a Texas drivers license in hand, and then over to the school to enroll (I think I can already get the utility letters before then - at least, I am trying to do so). I just hope that will all be in time.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
Wow! Thanks for passing that along. I know that I can't do anything yet, since I'm not a West U or Houston resident right now, but, um, if any of you want to join in on the letter writing campaign.... ;-)

Seriously, though, this is really stressing me out! Through a combination of very good luck, fortunate timing, and a terrific real estate broker, our signing date is now June 5. I'm going to be running around like a chicken that day trying to get the papers signed, a Texas drivers license in hand, and then over to the school to enroll (I think I can already get the utility letters before then - at least, I am trying to do so). I just hope that will all be in time.
You should be fine with the second grader, due to attrition.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
bu2

24,077 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
I can't believe they put that last part in the suggested letter attacking the trustees for having kids in magnet and private schools. Good way to win friends and influence people. Thought their leadership had more sense.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I can't believe they put that last part in the suggested letter attacking the trustees for having kids in magnet and private schools. Good way to win friends and influence people. Thought their leadership had more sense.
I personally think the trustees children should have their children in HISD schools. In AliefISD the superintendent is required to have their children go to the district. ( or it was ten years ago)

If they want to cap enrollment, they should give the parents a year to apply to other schools. There are no coveted magnet spots or private school spots at this time of year.

They could also hire more teachers and have portable classrooms to get around the class size waiver issue. This is what Katyisd, AliefISd do, and other districts do.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:09 AM

960 posts, read 2,749,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
2/3 is boundary zone lottery and 1/3 magnet lottery open district wide.
What is the percentage of successful boundary transfer? I can't remember as it was 3 years ago but it was a whopping amount of applicants versus open spots available.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
What is the percentage of successful boundary transfer? I can't remember as it was 3 years ago but it was a whopping amount of applicants versus open spots available.
There is only public data for the 2013-14 school year. They haven't released it for 2014-2015 yet. I do know that the number of applicants grows each year, due to it being online. It's easier to apply for mutiple schools. This is all for students entering 6th grade.

Pin Oak does not reveal how many applicants they have for their boundary option. (For the data I have that HISD supplies) The magnet program has 150 spots in 6th, with 2156 applications. There are 377 total spots for 6th grade.

Lanier has 374 vanguard spots, with 1467 applications. They do have zoned spots too, but I'm not sure how many there are.

johnston has 360 spots in their magnet program with 1153 applications that are not zoned there. Zoned students may apply for the magnet program.

pershing has 100 magnet spots and 1181 applicants. Zoned students may apply for their magnet program too.

TH Rogers has 85 spots in 6th grade, with 964 applicants.

Grady MS does not have a magnet program and is for zoned students only.

I do know that only 67% of applications are considered qualified, and the rest ae discarded because they do not meet the qualifications...
a) residency, b) gifted and talented testing and c) special auditions or academic testing.

You must fill out the paperwork correctly and in a timely manner!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:58 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
There is only public data for the 2013-14 school year. They haven't released it for 2014-2015 yet. I do know that the number of applicants grows each year, due to it being online. It's easier to apply for mutiple schools. This is all for students entering 6th grade.

Pin Oak does not reveal how many applicants they have for their boundary option. (For the data I have that HISD supplies) The magnet program has 150 spots in 6th, with 2156 applications. There are 377 total spots for 6th grade.

Lanier has 374 vanguard spots, with 1467 applications. They do have zoned spots too, but I'm not sure how many there are.

johnston has 360 spots in their magnet program with 1153 applications that are not zoned there. Zoned students may apply for the magnet program.

pershing has 100 magnet spots and 1181 applicants. Zoned students may apply for their magnet program too.

TH Rogers has 85 spots in 6th grade, with 964 applicants.

Grady MS does not have a magnet program and is for zoned students only.
That's really good statistics to know. Theoretically, 4,345 students from Pershing, Johnston, and Long MS could request a transfer to Pin Oak MS. But let's just assume that only 50% to 67% will qualify because of conduct and grades. So that's 227 boundary openings versus 2,172 to 2,897 qualifying applicants which means about 8% to 10% of the boundary transfer request will get into Pin Oak MS. Of course, this is just a guesstimate and it should not deter anyone from apply there and should be mentally prepared for plan B and C.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM

45 posts, read 136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post

Mechteach, I daresay you will be fine. As it is registration is closing down at West U Elem from May 14th till June 1st and starting up again after that. Most new families move during June and after since most schools (at least in the NE) end beginning of June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: