Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,652 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Houston, preferring to find a place near Lake Houston with a boat launch. We see that there are A LOT of homes available for sale in Summerwood and Walden on Lake Houston. Is there any particular reason homeowners are selling?

Also, does anyone know if there are any plans to establish more neighborhood boat launches in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblanshan View Post
We are looking to relocate to Houston, preferring to find a place near Lake Houston with a boat launch. We see that there are A LOT of homes available for sale in Summerwood and Walden on Lake Houston. Is there any particular reason homeowners are selling?

Also, does anyone know if there are any plans to establish more neighborhood boat launches in the area?
Is that area going downhill? I thought they would become more desirable with the jobs from all the petrochem work on the east side of town. Despite the oil plunge, that sector is still booming.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 AM

137 posts, read 216,251 times
I'm not sure about Walden on Lake Houston, but Summerwood has over 3,100 homes. There are currently 73 listing, 43 which are already in escrow scheduled to close. So there are really only 30 homes available in the neighborhood. I wouldn't consider that a lot. Also there are no boat launches in Summerwood.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
My biggest concern about any neighborhood along West Lake Houston would definitely be the traffic. At rush hour, that road has gotten pretty crazy, and they are building new neighborhoods on it. Additionally, I would have to believe that Generation Park will be adding to those traffic woes.

Try this. Download Google maps, enable traffic monitoring and then bring up that road at 5:15 CST this afternoon and check out all of the red.

Since Summerwood is right there at 8, it's not going to be that much of an issue due to the short distance, but if you have to travel up West Lake Houston to Waldon, or any number of neighborhoods along it closer to 1960, it could become the bane of existence if traffic gets under your skin.

With Deussen Park being right around the corner from Summerwood, if there is not neighborhood ramp, it's not going to be a big deal.

Where will you be working?

There are other lakeside neighborhoods with access in locations further north and on the east side of the lake that may be a fit as long as it's not increasing your daily commute too much.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 AM

71 posts, read 101,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblanshan View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by A LOT either as both Summerwood & Walden are large communities, and looking at HAR their are not a lot of homes for sale. I have family that live in Walden & Summerwood and homes sell quick in those neighborhoods. They're really nice neighborhoods.

@HTown713, no, the area is not going downhill and is becoming more desirable/affluent, take a drive down W. Lake Houston and see how much it's changed. I imagine when Generation Park is done and oil rebounds, it will get even better.

@PedroM, I agree. Once W. Lake Houston gets more developed the traffic will be a mess...

Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM

672 posts, read 847,142 times
Traffic in that area is horrible, but the homes/communities are great.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM

Traffic is bad, but that's almost all of Houston. The area still has some of the best commute times in Houston.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:15 PM

672 posts, read 847,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou_boy View Post
Traffic is bad, but that's almost all of Houston. The area still has some of the best commute times in Houston.
Correct, I live in Atascocita and on the rare occasion that I drive into the office, it takes me less than 40 minutes to get to Downtown Houston (Travis, near the Chase Tower). Then again, I don't live in Summerwood or have to take West Lake Houston to jump on 59 so that would probably add more time. In the afternoons, it can take me up to 25 minutes sometimes to drive the 7 miles from the Eastex Park and Ride to my home on Timber Forest.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:13 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Correct, I live in Atascocita and on the rare occasion that I drive into the office, it takes me less than 40 minutes to get to Downtown Houston (Travis, near the Chase Tower). Then again, I don't live in Summerwood or have to take West Lake Houston to jump on 59 so that would probably add more time. In the afternoons, it can take me up to 25 minutes sometimes to drive the 7 miles from the Eastex Park and Ride to my home on Timber Forest.
40 minutes on the bus from downtown then 25 minutes driving to your house from the Park and Ride for Joe Schmoe commuter sounds pretty bad to me.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Leaving the Museum District to my family's house in Walden, I can get there in about 30m without traffic and with traffic no more then 45 during rush hour. The same time for downtown as well. Both ways. Summerwood takes no more then 25m and about 35 with traffic.

I've heard of much worse, some places in the loop can take just as long when comparing miles & the time it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: