Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,223,916 times

Advertisements

No one says why they just say tsu and rule it out...lol

as for an hbcu and grad, tsu is more of non traditional hbcu in terms as a lot of students are older, live away from campus and work so a lot of events don't have that "feel" compared to one that has a lot of students on campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,119 times
Its not because tsu is black. Lets see embezzlement scandal, repeated threats of loss of accreditation for one school after another and threats of the entire university losing accreditation, history of random violence and shootings (although I dont know if that still happens there were a few instances in the two years i was at UH)

UH possibly has a healthy number of blacks there so I dont get the point

Old 07-20-2015, 07:38 PM

914 posts, read 1,835,290 times
Look at the bar passage rates before you make a decision. http://www.ble.state.tx.us/pdfs/Statistics/2014july.pdf

Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,022,358 times
I have worked with more than a trivial number of non-black TSU grad attorneys and I have to say they simply are not as sharp as their UH counterparts, and it's really not even close.

While I am not an attorney myself, I work with them all the time, and IMO the proof is evident. Not as knowledgeable or professional as those from UH or better schools on the balance. Like everything else, there are exceptions.

If all you want to do is public interest, you are still probably fine going to TSU. If you want more traditional career, 100% go UH.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,869,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Its not because tsu is black. Lets see embezzlement scandal, repeated threats of loss of accreditation for one school after another and threats of the entire university losing accreditation, history of random violence and shootings (although I dont know if that still happens there were a few instances in the two years i was at UH)

I haven't heard anything negative about them in recent years. I don't think it's fair to continue to judge them on their past without knowing their present. After all those scandals went down did the people who caused that mess lose their jobs or are they still running things there? Is the violence just at TSU or is it the area which also includes U of H? What's their accreditation status right now? Are they still on the verge of losing it?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,119 times
That kind of stuff DEFINITELY stays around. If you have options you don't go to a school that at any point was constantly on the verge of being shuttered

Old 07-20-2015, 11:16 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,223,916 times
More violence has happened at uh recently than tsu...from the parking lot robberies to gameday workers stealing items from students who left their bags in a locked room..if 3rd ward was so bad then why are prices going up to run people out?

Its the person, not the school as my dad went to tsu in pharmacy and did 30 years in his own business and never was threatened by a Walgreens or cvs and they set up shop next door

I personally as an hbcu grad could work at a uh in my profession and make lemons from seeds while my counterparts from uh or so would need the lemons already grown as there's a certain aspect that's not taught

The tsu perception haunts them but the state of Texas allowed it as they appointed the regents before the board was replaced...sadly though, non blacks tend to generalize much faster without looking at facts...uh downtown was solely created to keep tsu from growing and attracting the non traditional student as tsu was 12k in the early 90s..imagine if they stayed on that growth plan....

Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 36,206 times
I am a U of H grad myself and I can tell you that it just does not flat out matter. The major misconception that is being fronted to the masses and especially children is that "YOU GO TO COLLEGE TO GET A GOOD JOB" as if a college degree guaruntees you a great job or more oppurtunities. That is the biggest lie ever told and they must keep the lie going to keep the debt scam rolling.

I know tons of people with BA's, MBA's, and PHD's from University of Phoenix to Harvard and Rice who are either underemployed or unemployed.

I would not want to work for a firm or company that their sole decision on whether they hired me was based on whether I went to a certain school. In law and other professions it takes more than just what school you went to. I have worked with plenty of dumbazzes who went to Penn, Duke, UT, Rice etc....

There is nothing like the feeling of paying $40,000 more for a so cold better education and you end up looking for jobs and competing with people who paid $40,000 less and either they get the job or get the same interviews. That guy who might have gone to the cheaper school may have interned at several top firms, worked on different committees, helped in some big cases, etc... My point is that it more to it than just "WHAT SCHOOL"you graduated from. Most firms wanna know how well rounded you are and your experience.

This thread is like arguing over which ice is colder, the one from the White owned store or the one from the Black owned store?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,277,353 times
This debate has nothing to do with race. TSU has had some serious problems within the past decade such as the indictment of school president and board of regents, kicking students out of the pharmacy program to boost stats, dead last in bar passage, etc... Serious problems. I'm sure TSU has done a lot to improve, but these things didn't happen that long ago. There are other hbcu schools in Tx with strong reputations, but not this one.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,996,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post

This. TSU doesn't have the money as say UH to make bad publicity go away easier. It's super easy to get into TSU...it's pretty much a community college open door policy so that in itself for the undergrad makes it go down. Anyone can walk in. People seriously not ready for any kind of higher education rigor. And the rigor just isn't there.

Every black teen I know who even for a second said "I should go to TSU because it's cheap" has been advised not to go. They end up going to Lamar.

Prairie View is a better choice. PVAMU is a hbcu and has had it's share of hard times but it's so above TSU. PVAMU still has a good nursing program, grad programs, the engineering program and tons of black teachers come out of there and do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
Look at the bar passage rates before you make a decision. http://www.ble.state.tx.us/pdfs/Statistics/2014july.pdf
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I haven't heard anything negative about them in recent years. I don't think it's fair to continue to judge them on their past without knowing their present. After all those scandals went down did the people who caused that mess lose their jobs or are they still running things there? Is the violence just at TSU or is it the area which also includes U of H? What's their accreditation status right now? Are they still on the verge of losing it?
It wasn't super strong money wise or anything else to weather that ish storm that rolled through sadly.

My mom went to TSU in the 80s and back then it was good. Since say 1995 it hasn't been. UH is huge and anyone thinking of TSU may as well go to UH. UH is full of black students. TONS. It's not worth it to be stigmatized but the TSU recent legacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston