Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times

Advertisements

Here's an article and some old photos showing that restaurant which closed in the 80's.

Bayou City History | A blog about Houston's past with J.R. Gonzales | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM

75 posts, read 196,862 times
Does anybody remember the Harvest Moon in Montrose? or Texas Opry House on Richmond?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 PM

224 posts, read 273,572 times
Two of my favorite Montrose-area places to hang out in the late '80s were Texas Art Supply and the Record Exchange on Westheimer. Does anyone know if they still exist?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 PM

18 posts, read 80,104 times
Favorite places from my childhood, growing up in the Montrose:
Cherryhurst Park - I spent many a summer there taking refuge inside the "recreation" room during those hot summer hours. At lunch, we would get baloney sandwiches and frozen fruit. Really all you need as a kid to keep your energy up. We would do crafts and play inside games like Caroms and board games like Candy Land and the like. I guess we were just lost shmucks back then. All our parents worked all day and just send us to the park. It was normal for that time and place.
Hermann Park - Magic... the Zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theatre, the Museums, the beautiful Mecom Fountains! A real paradise for a curious child. Green grass and Oak trees everywhere! At the Miller is the first time i ever saw the "Laughing/Crying" masks that symbolize the ways of Drama. All my life i remember the symbol... it always reminds me of those days.
"Little Palms" shopping center on Indiana... One pinball machine at two plays for a quarter (thats ten balls folks!) and 10 kids with their quarters on the glass waiting for a turn!
More later as the alcohol kicks in folks!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Texas Art Supply is still there. Record Exchange is not unless I somehow pass it every day without noticing.

I'd say montrose changed, then changed again, and is now changing again again. there may have been an additional change in there. The area is now overrun with 20-30 something young professional white people who want to live a cultural urban lifestyle, but at the same time not see anyone who is not a 20-30 something white young professional. Skinny black people who wear tight pants and a band t-shirt are okay as long as they do not go to the same bars. Hispanic people better be pushing a white couple's baby carriage. But they will give money to the homeless people because hey that's cool.

I am now moving to a different area. I am tired of having to "dress to impress". WTF it's Montrose

Parts of this segment of the population have moved on to the Washington corridor and upper heights. but it'll still never be the same

Old 11-16-2010, 11:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Texas Art Supply is still there. Record Exchange is not unless I somehow pass it every day without noticing.

I'd say montrose changed, then changed again, and is now changing again again. there may have been an additional change in there. The area is now overrun with 20-30 something young professional white people who want to live a cultural urban lifestyle, but at the same time not see anyone who is not a 20-30 something white young professional. Skinny black people who wear tight pants and a band t-shirt are okay as long as they do not go to the same bars. Hispanic people better be pushing a white couple's baby carriage. But they will give money to the homeless people because hey that's cool.

I am now moving to a different area. I am tired of having to "dress to impress". WTF it's Montrose

Parts of this segment of the population have moved on to the Washington corridor and upper heights. but it'll still never be the same
just wait 'em out ... they'l be stampeding on to the next "in" thing before you know it.....

Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
I met my second wife on the hill at Miller Theater in Hermann Park in 1972. We had 27 wonderful years together. Lots of good memories of living in Montrose. Now I'm with my third wife that I actually met in 1971 when I was a manager at Houston Blacklight and Poster Co. across from Allen's Landing in downtown Houston.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,742 times
Default Little Hut, 807 w. Alabama

Does anyone remember the Little Hut fron the 70's? I was there from 1977 until the building was torn down in Jan. '84. I attended the last reunion in Jan. 2004. A very unique group of people, many very educated, many old hippies who had trouble moving past that point in their lives. Shuffleboard. foosball.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Default Little Hut, 807 w. Alabama

I "lived" at The Lttle Hut from '76-'84. Played a lot of shuffleboard.
Occassionable owner-Don Pearson.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Default The Little Hut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyjh View Post
does anybody remember the Little Hut bar on w.alabama. Don and L.T. were the owners. I practically lived there....moved to austin a while after it was sold and demolished now back in Houston. Loved that place. Would love to find anyone still alive/not in jail. will come back to this site to find out
Yes, I was there from '77-'84 so we must have crossed paths at some point. In 2004 we held our twentieth and last reunion.We all kept in tpuch for a long time after it closed and demolished.____ Tommy F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston