Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:47 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartinez View Post
... The funny thing is that he's been arrested a bunch of times and really has nothing to lose.
HA! Too funny.

I've got a truck with a hitch! Does your plan involve beer? No trailer, or jet-ski though, but I like your thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 AM

313 posts, read 282,161 times
We do this too. Faves are Hotel Zaza or Hotel Icon downtown.

The Zaza is posh with an artsy edge. Has a great location and services and onsite pool, bar, restaurant.

The Hotel Icon is a classic rehabbed downtown building with a good downtown location. Can walk to restaurants, bars or take a 5 minute cab/Uber to lots more options.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:25 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I think a quiet early morning float down the bayou is a great idea, depending on time of year of course. Certainly it would provide an up close and intimate view of the city that many people living here a lifetime never witness - including myself. Yet.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,584 times
So I got the consensus to stay downtown. How about for food, what are the must eat at places for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Old 08-04-2015, 02:04 PM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
how have you lived in katy for years and never been to Houston? that seems very strange.
Couch potatoes? Thats probably a reason people across the country "know someone" who says houston is boring and dangerous. Move to a suburb an hour outside of the city and never explore the damn city itself

Old 08-04-2015, 02:05 PM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
Does anyone know what boat tours are offered for the bayou or is it just one main company? Would be nice

Old 08-04-2015, 03:13 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
I only know the boat tours through buffalo bayou partnership. They also have themed ones like for the bat tour, food specific, wine specific, and then architecture and history ones. I dont know if they still do themed ones as often. Looking at their website it seems like there are some

Bayou city adventures and bayou shuttle do guided kayak tours of various distances.

Horse head theater is showing a neat version of Moby dick along the bayou until the 15th.

If staying downtown id recommend Reef for dinner.

Edit: I recommend bayou shuttle. Its who I went with years ago and it was very good

Last edited by testmo; 08-04-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
So I got the consensus to stay downtown. How about for food, what are the must eat at places for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Definitely downtown. More options easily accessible unless your priority is shopping.

Dinner or brunch-expensive Do Brennan's on Smith St. downtown. Great food, great service and people watching. Local and out of town dignitaries are common.

We always liked to go to Blue Willow in the Pennzoil building before going to the theatre. Its a more moderate priced Italian place, but we haven't been down there for a few years, so I can't say for certain its still open, the way the restaurant scene changes.

For lunch one day, you might try going to the Rice Village. Its on the opposite side of the Rice University campus from the medical center (and the light rail stop). Its about a mile walk along the trail around Rice. There are about 30 restaurants so you have lots of choices.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 PM
bu2

When we were back in town for a few days this summer, we had a list of places to hit. Didn't have enough time to do all we wanted.
For dinners, we did Brennan's (also famous for its brunch), Amazon Grill (Kirby), Cadillac Bar (Shepherd)
For lunches, we did Hungry's Grill (Rice Village), Goode & Co. BBQ (Kirby), Mala Sichuan Bistro (Montrose)
For breakfast, we couldn't miss Shipley's Donuts or the Kolache Factory. Both have several locations. There is a Kolache Factory across from the Rice Village. Not sure where the closest Shipley's is (but you probably have them in Katy so don't need to do it while in town). They closed the one near the Kolache Factory.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Does anyone know what boat tours are offered for the bayou or is it just one main company? Would be nice
There's a Ship Channel tour for the other direction. The "Sam Houston" requires reservations. Its run by the Houston Port Authority. Pretty interesting, but I don't know that I would use a staycation to do it. I'd do it some other weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston