Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:18 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Sorry but we may have tons of places to eat, but about 97% aren't worth visiting twice. More places to eat doesn't mean quality.
Sounds like you are hitting the wrongs ones the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My advise to you, stop going to Chilis.
LOL or Taco Cabana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:21 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times
Most of houstons places to eat are chain restraunts. im not paying 50 dollars a plate to eat.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Quote:
Most of houstons places to eat are chain restraunts. im not paying 50 dollars a plate to eat.
Not true inside or around the 610 loop, but admittedly that's somewhat like living in a bubble. You have a decent point hen it comes to parts of the suburbs, where a lot of the population lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Hands down the best foodie city in the US.

I have been all over the US and now live in the SF Bay Area and I will vouch that Houston has the best food scene compared to the rest of the US.

One of my favorite things to do when visiting my friends and family when I return to Houston...take them to my favorite place for a delicious meal.

Go ahead and look at me like I am crazy

SF is great too though! Man, I miss Burmese Superstar.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
You have a decent point hen it comes to parts of the suburbs, where a lot of the population lives.
The chains have greater visibility in the suburbs because they can afford the higher dollar rent on the larger thoroughfares and at major intersections, and there is a larger ratio of chain restaurants; however, the burbs are filled with non-chain "mom and pop" restaurants as well.

One of the reasons you have less chains when you get into the core would be due to parking. Parking lots are expensive due to the high cost of land. Chain restaurants require volume and high turn over, and those are impacted negatively when parking is an issue. Since the cost of having a parking lot is much greater ITL, this makes it more difficult for chains to operate there.

What chains aren't as affected by parking? That would be fast food chains that have drive-throughs. Pull up Houston in Google Maps and then search McDonalds so you can visually see them. You'll notice McDonalds proliferates ITL just as much as the burbs.

Another example would be pizza delivery. Take a look at the distribution of Domino's Pizza on the Houston map. You'll see that it is also consistent between ITL and the burbs.

There was once a Kingwood thread here and somebody said something like "Kingwood is just filled with chain restaurants", and then I listed about 20 non-chain restaurants in Kingwood.

As far as actual sit-down restaurants, I have less chain restaurants than mom and pop restaurants in my area. However, I'm guessing the ratio is even higher (in favor of non-chains) ITL due mainly to the parking issue.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:02 PM

504 posts, read 1,150,277 times
not surprised. the last 3-4 years have been great for foodies, like me, here.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:58 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Sorry but we may have tons of places to eat, but about 97% aren't worth visiting twice. More places to eat doesn't mean quality.
What type of food are you looking for? What part of town?

It's the one thing all expats agree on here, Houston has some great restaurants. It's the one thing that is amazing about it.

My favorites right now range in expensiveness...

Dodos - for hole in the wall Columbian food. Looks sketchy, but cops eat there all the time. CHEAP

Sweet pAris- yummy crepes, always see Europeans there

Mainely sandwiches- great lobster rolls

Brennan's on the bayou- expensive but great for a special occasion, I think they have reopened after the flooding

pico's mex-mex - great margaritas, usually eat appetizers

samurai steak and sushi- great hibachi

El meson- great tapas and paella

Too many others to name. I could eat out three times a week at delicious places and never repeat in a year.

Marini's empanadas!

Bombay Brasserie

A million pho places....phoVn21 is my current one.

I still love Maggiano's.

Jennis noodle house

Backstreet Cafe

Uchi, Ra or Kata robata

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-10-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Quote:
I disagree. I don't think Houston have enough chain restaurants.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
SF is great too though! Man, I miss Burmese Superstar.
Meh on Burmese food. There is ton of it here and I much prefer Thai instead.

Best Thai place in Houston that I love is Thai Gourmet.

SF doesn't have anything on Houston with respect to outstanding ethnic cuisine. Trust me I know.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:36 PM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
The better, hole in the walls are outside of the loop. And theres more outside the loop. A lot more.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:46 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As a matter of fact, yes.

I know how heart breaking it can be to the "Houston is only a good place to work" crowd that gets moist at the idea of living in NYC, LA or Chicago.
I don't feel that way about houston at all. It's a cesspool to me if it matters. I get sick thinking about having to drive anywhere in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston