Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 AM

226 posts, read 310,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamazon View Post
Update: We're moving by Thanksgiving although my husband is moving first in early November! We've pretty much settled on looking in the Richmond area and some around George Bush Park. I saw a nice listing for a house in Tara subdivision. ..what do you guys know about that area? Also, Greatwood is popping up with potential homes. Is GB Park good for running with a stroller? Thank you!
First, Greatwood and Tara are NOT near George Bush Park. GB Park is in west Houston/east Katy, and both those neighborhoods are well south of there. Greatwood is a mid-90s era community zoned to great schools. Haven't ventured that way in several years, but I believe it has nice amenities, and is zoned to some of the best elementary schools in LCISD as well as highly-rated George Ranch High School. Been even longer since I've been to Tara. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's more working-class. Zoned to good schools for now, but that may change when LCISD rezones for the new high school. I wouldn't say the high school it is rezoned to is bad, my friends in Greatwood felt their kids got a good education there, but it doesn't have the prestige of George Ranch.

Here is a thread about future LCISD rezoning.http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...on-thread.html

Goerge Bush Park is very large and is a reservoir. It extends from I-10 on the north to Westheimer on the South and Highway 6 on the east to Fry Rd. on the west. It does have running/biking trails, but I don't know in how much of the park. I've only ventured to the top of the levee at Highway 6/Briarhills Parkway, so I don't know about trails on the south side of the park or how populated they are. I get the feeling that, depending on when you go, the trails could be more lightly traveled than the Buffalo Bayou trail. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise, I've only driven through the park to get to Katy. The park does have a duck pond/picnic area, a shooting range, and soccer fields all off of Westheimer Parkway between Westheimer Rd. and Fry Rd. Not sure it's what you're thinking of when you think park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 12:18 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
I know you are set to move here, but it will be NOTHING like you've been used to in Oregon. George Bush Park is not all that IMO based on what's out in the Pacific Northwest. Brazos Bend State Park might be closer to what you are looking for and it is closer to the Richmond/Rosenberg area. I would think Rosenberg would be just fine for your family.
Brazos Bend State Park - Directions and Map

A small town to consider might be Columbus, TX for low housing costs, country living and proximity to your husband's work. Driving into the Houston area on I-10 on weekends is a slow long road though. It can be a 2 hour drive at times.
http://www.columbustexas.net/

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
People in houston hate on the SE side for pollution when far SW Rosenberg is worse. Seriously look up the story about that coal plant. Itll make your blood boil

Old 11-14-2015, 04:28 PM

15 posts, read 14,327 times
Well...The relocation is happening. We went down there to house hunt and are closing on a house in Richmond (though seems more like the SE Rosenberg area). Everything seems nice but wow, everything is so spread out!

I really hope we made the right choice but I'm starting to get a deep pit in my stomach kind of feeling about the move, quitting my career, and leaving my family to have my husband expand his. Any tips for getting to make friends around the area? My biggest fear is being lonely all the time. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Get your child in a playgroup or join a Mommy and me play place and you will make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston