Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 02:47 PM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time home buyer and recently moved from S. Cali. Will be planning to purchase a house in Cypress most likely. How do I calculate the property taxes on the house. I want to figure out what will my monthly payment will be on top of my mortgage payment.

In addition to property taxes will there be any other taxes?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM

292 posts, read 547,612 times
Property taxes is calculated differently in Houston than it is in California. In Houston, your taxed valued is re-assessed each year and it could go up or down based in the re-appraised value of your house. This is a shock to most who come from California where the taxed value is based on the sale price of the house and then it's locked in with almost no increase or a very very small increased based on the taxing county. So tax amount is almost constant year after year in California. In Houston, your tax amount can change greatly depending on how much your house was re-appraised for that year, keep in mind that if you have homestead exemption, the appraised amount for tax is capped at 10% increase each year. Your homestead exemption also qualifies you for a 20% discount on some of your taxes. Taxes are usually divided into 3 parts, County, School District and if applicable, MUD tax. The 20% exemption applies to county and school, but usually not to MUD. Your agent should be able to tell you what the tax rate is for your property, and you can also go to hcad.org to look up the tax info of the house you are interested in if it is not a new built home.

Hope that helps. if you have concerns, contact your taxing district for more info.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:07 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
What neighborhood are you looking at? The tax rates are usually published on the builder site but they are easily searchable too. Here are all the tax rates for Harris County Jurisdictions along with the homestead amounts.

In Cypress, expect to pay the following:

Harris County
Cy-Fair ISD
Harris County Flood Control
Port of Houston Authority
Harris CO Hosp Dist
Harris CO Educ Dept
Lone Star College Sys
HC MUD for your area
HC Emerg Serv Dist for your area

These all have different tax rates and exemptions found here HCAD: Jurisdiction Information

Old 10-01-2015, 03:19 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Take the sales price and divide by 100. Take that amount and multiply times the tax rate for that particular subdivision (it's listed near the bottom of the listing on HAR). Apply a 20% discount for Cypress for homestead. That will come close.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:51 PM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times
Lot's of good info. Thank you all.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
HAr.com shows the monthly taxes using the price. Just scroll down through the listing and it shows an approximate monthly payment including property taxes. Then they break it down into the parts.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Take the sales price and divide by 100. Take that amount and multiply times the tax rate for that particular subdivision (it's listed near the bottom of the listing on HAR). Apply a 20% discount for Cypress for homestead. That will come close.

Or if the tax rate is 3% you can multiple .03 by the home price it is after all a percentage

Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Or if the tax rate is 3% you can multiple .03 by the home price it is after all a percentage
LOL - true. I am just used to doing this in my head.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:23 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
I put together an Excel spreadsheet for my boss since she is buying a house also. Easy to estimate the taxes depending on the area. I set it up so she could type in the sales price and the MUD district taxes since they vary by neighborhood and it calculates the homestead discounts and the tax on the balance. I can forward it to you if you want to send me your email via PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston