Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 11:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,407,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think it's gotta be about even. LA has majority Mexican and Central Americans while Houston has a greater variety of all kinds of Latinos.
Houston is like 90% mexican, 10% others LA/NYC/MIA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Quote:
According to the 2010 Census, whites made up 51% of Houston's population; 26% of the total population were non-Hispanic whites. Blacks or African Americans made up 25% of Houston's population. American Indians made up 0.7% of the population. Asians made up 6% (1.7% Vietnamese, 1.3% Chinese, 1.3% Indian, 0.9% Pakistani, 0.4% Filipino, 0.3% Korean, 0.1% Japanese), while Pacific Islanders made up 0.1%. Individuals from some other race made up 15.2% of the city's population, of which 0.2% were non-Hispanic. Individuals from two or more races made up 3.3% of the city. People of Hispanic origin, regardless of race, made up 44% of Houston's population.
Whatever you say buddy.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:42 AM

52 posts, read 69,013 times
Quote:
Actually, according to US census #'s, San Diego, Fresno, Riverside, Phoenix, Bakersfield, Tucson, Santa Barbara and San Antonio are all cities where 90% of the Hispanic population is Mexican. Los Angeles is 78% and Houston is 76%. In NYC over half the Hispanic population is from two islands in the caribbean. In Miami, almost 60% of the hispanic population is from one island.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:48 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
No it's not. Not even close. Stop making stuff up.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown homie View Post
According to the study done by the National Center on Immigrant Integration Policy and the Migration Policy Institute, Houston is the most diverse city. It's not just some wacko professors at Rice University publishing a bogus research paper. But, not to hijack the thread too much...the Filipino population of Houston (according to census #'s) is 50,000+ and makes up 12% of the Asian population (in which are also included East Indians at 25%) Vietnamese 25%, Chinese 19%, Korean 3%, Other Asian 15%.
This paper doesn't compare the "diversity" of different cities. It just asserts that Houston is the most diverse city in the US and then cites the Rice paper to support that conclusion. It's right there on page 2. Unlike the Rice paper though this one does contain a lot of useful information regarding our Asian and Latino immigrant populations.

You're right we need to let others get back to helping poor OP find the right neighborhood.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
This paper doesn't compare the "diversity" of different cities. It just asserts that Houston is the most diverse city in the US and then cites the Rice paper to support that conclusion. It's right there on page 2. Unlike the Rice paper though this one does contain a lot of useful information regarding our Asian and Latino immigrant populations.

You're right we need to let others get back to helping poor OP find the right neighborhood.
I guess I just don't understand all the energy in coming to state Houston is actually the 2nd or 3rd most diverse place in the entire U.S., as opposed to 1st. This is a thread about someone considering moving here, and all they wanted to know was of the general relative diversity, so what difference does it make really?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 AM

132 posts, read 91,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal. To TX View Post
We would only move once I have a position in place obviously-

I have found some huge houses for $ 300-340k which would be my target area I believe, but the property taxes..my goodness really?

Also, considering that air conditioning needs to run eight months a year, how is the cost of electricity there compared to Glendale? You were probably running your A/C the same amount of time in Glendale I would think.
I concur with chmik. I would highly advise you not to go for the 500k mansion. We have a 2500 square foot house that we bought for 325 and that's enough room for my husband and I and our kids. We did not want to get a house bigger than that.

See videos below of of New Territory in Sugar Land to consider. If you buy, make sure to buy on the east side of New Territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWJueiVPOjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMMNRhqmOM

Old 10-16-2015, 12:09 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,407,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No it's not. Not even close. Stop making stuff up.
Obviously it was a bit of an exaggeration, but IMO when it comes to Latino diversity Miami>NYC>LA>Boston>Houston

Old 10-16-2015, 12:27 PM

52 posts, read 69,013 times
The population of Boston is 9.9% Hispanic (400,000). The population of Houston is 37% Hispanic (2,040,000).

Old 10-16-2015, 02:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Obviously it was a bit of an exaggeration, but IMO when it comes to Latino diversity Miami>NYC>LA>Boston>Houston
We are getting WAY off topic and I assume you're just pulling my chain now because Boston is seriously majority white. No where near close to Houston in terms of Hispanic or for that matter overall diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston