Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
We are getting WAY off topic and I assume you're just pulling my chain now because Boston is seriously majority white. No where near close to Houston in terms of Hispanic or for that matter overall diversity.
Agree. Totally off topic, but has this poster even been to Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Probably not and he's steered the discussion way off track. There is no doubt that Houston ranks up there with NYC and LA in terms of diversity. Anyone who denies that has clearly never lived and experienced the city, much less visited. End debate.

Now back to the topic at hand. Memorial area would be my guess as a nice area. I've always loved the wooded areas of memorial headed toward the galleria. Am I wrong but could you get a home for under 500k there?

Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,474 times
The guy who said Boston has more hispanic people than Houston either has no clue what he/she is talking about, or auto correct made him/her look like a fool. I don't know which, and don't really care.

I was initially thinking Memorial area might be nice given the large, wooded lots with relative proximity to the city, but you can't get anything other than a condo there for under $500K. Would the Woodlands be a better bet for OP? From what I've read here, he'd lose out on the diversity quotient, but he'd get the kind of place he's looking for (I think).

Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
The guy who said Boston has more hispanic people than Houston either has no clue what he/she is talking about, or auto correct made him/her look like a fool. I don't know which, and don't really care.

I was initially thinking Memorial area might be nice given the large, wooded lots with relative proximity to the city, but you can't get anything other than a condo there for under $500K. Would the Woodlands be a better bet for OP? From what I've read here, he'd lose out on the diversity quotient, but he'd get the kind of place he's looking for (I think).
Wow, Memorial area homes have skyrocketed that much? Even the townhouses?

Woodlands might be a good fit but it's further out. I love the Woodlands but I almost consider it it's own city. Plus you can a better deal in Spring and be in the same area, of course you'd have to deal with the snooty remarks from Woodlands residents.

Sugar Land is another spot I'd recommend and I think it's closer to the city than Woodlands is, no?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,407,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown homie View Post
The population of Boston is 9.9% Hispanic (400,000). The population of Houston is 37% Hispanic (2,040,000).
You're comparing an area of 600 sq miles to 60, try doing metro to metro and you'll see how much more diverse Boston is in Latinos.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 PM

52 posts, read 69,013 times
Dude, there are 627,654 Hispanics in the entire state of Massachusetts which is 8,262 square miles. There are 2,040,000 Hispanics in Houston. How much have you been around sonn?

Last edited by Htown homie; 10-16-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 02:41 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,407,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown homie View Post
Dude, there are 627,654 Hispanics in the entire state of Massachusetts which is 8,262 square miles. There are 2,040,000 Hispanics in Houston. How much have you been around sonn?
Yes that may be the case but there's more diversity in that 627k, comprende? Do you always need to be spoonfed son?

Old 10-17-2015, 05:58 AM

Sì entiendo que la ciudad de Houston tiene màs diversidad entre no solamente la población entera pero también entre la gente Hispana.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:09 AM

There are three Mexicans , a Cuban, a Colombian and two Puerto Ricans living in Fargo, North Dakota. I suppose you're going to try to say that Fargo is the most diverse city in the US. Ok, I'm done with this.

With a 350K budget, I would check out 77043, 77077, perhaps 77080. You can go on har.com and do a map search or a precise search for exactly what you want and view all houses currently on the market.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal. To TX View Post
Need some feedback:

The # 1 reason we are considering this is namely the cost of housing, and the value you get per dollar here vs. there.

Example: In Los Angeles/San Diego, $ 500k here gets you a 950 sq.ft., 2 bed/1ba. built in the late 50's on a 6,000 sq.ft. lot if you are lucky.

I don't have to tell you all what we could get there for the same amount...which has us daydreaming all about it.

I have spoken to one connection that says there is no place like Texas, and we should make the jump.

Also, we are a biracial family (my wife is Filipino, and daughter obviously half), and wanted to know the perception of this in Texas. It may sound like a dumb question, but growing up here in So.Cal., this is the norm.

Any/all feedback is greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time.
Housing costs are lower, of course, but one thing that most of my friends moving here from California have realized is that it's not as low as you think. Especially to live where you want. And it's offset by the increased property taxes, etc. These friends are doctors and engineers, so their salaries are high and they still can't just buy whatever they want. They are finding themselves buying farther out in the boonies despite wanting to live near downtown or putting up with smaller, older lots and homes that are not updated.

You can search this forum and see people who had $400-$500k budgets complain that the inventory they wind up looking at isn't at all what they want or where they want.

Your connection is correct. There is no place like Texas. Most of my friends and I could live anywhere we want and have a high standard of living. But we choose to live here and raise our families here.

Nobody will care that you have a biracial family. Frankly, I'm far more offended that people keep asking this question like we all live in the 1950s or something. I've lived here 26 years (moved from Southern California, in fact) and I faced a lot more racist bullcrap in California in the four years I lived there (in an upscale place) than I ever have here in all 26 years.

I live in the Dallas area. I don't think I can handle Houston weather. I have spent a lot of time in Houston and Austin, and it's too humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston